modify magnaflow dual out muffler thoughts... - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

modify magnaflow dual out muffler thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• modify magnaflow dual out muffler thoughts...

Just replaced stock exhaust with 3/3 cat and magnaflow 15620 LT1 (1993-97 v8) full 3" cat back. Added 18" dnynomax bullit in mid pipe. (it pretty much IS the mid pipe)
    Ordered CAT with rear O2 boss, works great, no codes.
    System is already breaking in at about 100 miles so far.
    Very deep, sounds very tough, very little rasp if any at top end...it just gets LOUD at WOT. The 1.9 rockers and air intake like the new fat exhaust... so does my foot...my seat doesn't, however. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    I knew the exhaust would be much louder than stock. (been around awhile...this bird is not my loudest car...383 formula s gets that title) But, it is louder than I would like. I know what you are thinking..."dude, dah..." Now, before ya'll get going on me I will get to the point, hold on...I like driving like Steve McQueen. I love a good muscle car, tough sound, hi performance, etc. Yo, you know it.
    It is loud to say the least when you get on it. It could be much louder. It is not dual exhaust big block with headers loud, but loud none the less. I prefer a bit more, um, stealthiness if possible. So, here is an idea...
    The standard magnaflow dual out muffler...this one is 3in with dual 2.5 out. Muffler is fiber packed oval with the incoming exhaust entering through passenger side. There is a staight through perf tube that exits to the drivers side. The drivers side tail pipe is thereby 'muffled' by the perf tube packed with fiber glass. That in and of itself is not much muffling as it is straight through rather than encountering 2 x 180 degree bends to slow everything down. The passenger side tail pipe is fed 'directly' off of the 3" incoming by a curved baffle that covers about half of the main muffler entrance...directing 'unmuffled' exhaust right back out and into the passenger side tail pipe. magnaflow is relying on audio phaseing to negate the sound volume of similar but out of phase wave forms to reduce the overall sound level. This is not perfect but it will work to some extent. The muffler is about 20 inches long so the wave forms we are talking about are in the bass range...about 40 - 300 hz or less if I remember correctly. (60 hz = about 12 inches I think) Only those wave forms that happen to be in the size range or so as the muffler are canceled out...if at all. Anyway... this is where much of the low level drone comes from when combining/spliting a mono signal such as a single exhaust source into two seperate but opposing length ouputs.
    I think I might drill some holes (1/4d) in the incoming side of the front directional baffle so that more main exhaust gets directed down the primary perf tube and into the drivers side tail pipe. This would...possibly...yield less drone in the low range as less exhaust is being 'phased' and possibly muffle the output a bit more as more of the exhaust is traveling down the 'sorta a muffler' fiber packed perf tube. Overall performance should not be hindederd too much...any back pressure that develops should be minimal as the system is still no less than 2.5 id at any giving port of exit as well as there is still a fuctional 'quick out' to the passenger side tail pipe. If I screw it up with the drilling idea...jbweld can work wonders.
    Has anyone ever tried anything like this?

Thanks to everyone who has given great and helpful input into my 'exhaust overhaul' portion of this project. (ellick, blldog, to name just a few) That "LT1 v8 catbiak comes with the S pipe, just cut off the flange and the cat slips right on" is realy a HUGE tip. Thanks all.
    Oh, yea, no codes. I thought people got ses codes when going to extreme exhaust like a full 3 inch system? Is that just with headers? Have the cat with rear O2 boss...is that maybe yielding higher temps than if it was back in the S pipe thereby not so quick to set off code? Or is it just a sometimes you get codes sometimes you don't sort of think? knock on wood. I gotta go drive that sucker. catch ya'll later. [img]graemlins/rock.gif[/img]
    01 Firebird A4 3.42
    Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
    and other mods
    Visit Project Unleashed for guides and info.

I think its a hit and miss thing as far as the codes. Each car really seems to have a personality of its own when it comes to things like that.

Im not sure a 1/4" diameter hole through the baffles would really divert a signifigant amount of exhaust flow to change the tone of the exhaust. I would be afraid that it would create more of a pea-whistle effect. Im not an engineer though. Good luck with whatever you try!!
    \'01 Mineral Grey SVT Cobra<br />-former F-body owner

Comment

I was thinking several holes. Yea, I could really mess it up...puf puf puf... pst pst pst...or some other goofy sound. I think I will be sure to have a couple days in down time ready incase I need to glue some covers over the possible stupid holes I drilled.
      Oh, it's just the one baffle...right in the front...right there at the 3 inch in port...BAM! half the exhaust goes right out the passenger side tail pipe...all raw and sh--.
      01 Firebird A4 3.42
      Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
      and other mods

Comment

how tight is the fitment with a bullet muffler on I-pipe of a 3 inch exhaust, because i would really like to put a 3 inch catback on my car but its pretty tight even with 2.25 I pipe with bullet. Is the actual muffler diameter the same and just the inlet/ outlet different siizes?
        the black 97 <br /> New favorite Mods: Hptuners, and SLP 2OTL

Comment

I am not quite sure by your question what you what to know so I will try to cover everything...

The I pipe that came with the magnaflow LT1 3 inch system has a straight sections that is about 22" long. After that it starts to bend up toward the axle cross-over section. This 22" section is enough to leave 2" underhang when cut for the bullit muffler.

The bullit muffler also has about 3" collars on either end that slip OVER 3" exhaust pipe. So the bullit muffler ends are a little larger than the OD of 3" exhaust pipe. These ends need to be campled or welded.

The inside of the 3" bullit muffler is 3"...it does not downsize.

The actuall OD of the bullit muffler muffler secion is probably about 5". This still fits under the car...ground clearance is a little less...not much...have not scraped it or anything.
          01 Firebird A4 3.42
          Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
          and other mods

Comment

yeah thanks thats what i was wondering is the ground clearance. But it just seems like mine hangs low and it is all the way tucked up into the body so I thought if it was on a 3 inch pipe the bullet would be even lower.
            the black 97 <br /> New favorite Mods: Hptuners, and SLP 2OTL

Comment

Converter with rear O2 boss?

Was that a Carsound, and if so, would that happen to be #94039?
              Matt<br />2000 Firebird<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/index.php?\" target=\"_blank\">FullThrottleV6.com</a>

Comment

{yeah thanks thats what i was wondering is the ground clearance. But it just seems like mine hangs low and it is all the way tucked up into the body so I thought if it was on a 3 inch pipe the bullet would be even lower.}

I cant say as to the outer diameter of a 2.5 bullet as opposed to 3"...but if the diameter is the same then starting from the center of the radius...if the 3" s pipe is in the same vertiacl location then the bullit muffler should't beany lower. not noticable on my car. the clamps hang lower in one spot...trimmed bolt ends but clamp can not turn all the way to side...sort canted down at 45deg on clamp one...(y pipe to cat). that is the lowest part of this exhaust. (will be welding later)
                01 Firebird A4 3.42
                Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
                and other mods

Comment

Originally posted by HAZ-Matt:
                  Converter with rear O2 boss?

Was that a Carsound, and if so, would that happen to be #94039?
                  Yep, right on the money. got kit from ebay. performance curve. free shipping with free magnaflow cat. After auction I requested a 3/3 cat with rear 02 boss. I didn't hear back from them until I got the kit...with the requested cat. two birds with one stone.
                  01 Firebird A4 3.42
                  Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
                  and other mods

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X