Raised Air Box Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raised Air Box Question

I put 3 washers underneath the 4 screws but I had a question. Performance seems to still be fine but am I supposed to put tape around the box or something to seal it. It seems to me that raising it lowers the pressure inside the box...thus losing the extra air...am I right?

No... that's the idea is to have it unsealed. There's a high-pressure area infront of the airbox, and raising it allows that high pressure air to be forced underneath and into the box.
    Kyle M<br />--------------<br /><a href=\"http://grdws6.netfirms.com\" target=\"_blank\">2002 Trans Am WS6</a> (silver, A4) - lid, cutout, stage 3 shift kit, 12 bolt, vig 3200, tranny cooler, bmr sfc/stb, torq thrust ii. <b>12.688 @ 106.47mph -=- 1.756 60\'</b>

Comment

Not quite - raising the airbox is simply so that you have more area for the air to flow into the filter, thus making the air flow less constricting, which probably increases horsepower. On a side note it also straightens the intake path on 99 and newer V6s as well - thus being better.

I rasied mine instead of cutting out the bottom, I would recommend doing one or the other and not both. I prefer mine raised since my air filter doesn't get as nasty and I still get more air flow capability.

The only reason to cut the bottom out of the air box is to attempt to get ram/air. You probably do get ramair from doing this mod, but at 80mph and below its almost worthless, so I don't bother with it anymore.
      2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
      Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

ok so letme getthis streight. if i put 3 washers underneath the screws that hold down the air box,it is accualy better for the car?, do this on a stock air box?
        1998 black convertible camaro<br />rasied air box,free ram air , colored inter knobs,b&m shift kit, race magnum muffler, 3 1/2 crome tips, no cat,clear turn signals, custom front grill ,neons

Comment

yea I've done both...the airbox is cut and I did the 3 washers.

With the !FRA, I suggest you do it...OMG when you start getting up to speed it does pull more...esp in the 3,500 - 4,000RPM area. Slam the gas along side me at 95MPH and I guarantee you I'll be ahead. :D

and yes lightning just go to home depot and for under $1 you can get 12 washers...did it one sunday afternoon because I was bored

Comment

Sweet im going to do that tonight, i already have the washers :D
            1998 black convertible camaro<br />rasied air box,free ram air , colored inter knobs,b&m shift kit, race magnum muffler, 3 1/2 crome tips, no cat,clear turn signals, custom front grill ,neons

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 99Camaro99:

Slam the gas along side me at 95MPH and I guarantee you I'll be ahead. :D

<hr></blockquote>

i bet my fast toys ram air has something to say about that :D the free ram air is an awesome mod...however the FTRA just adds to it..i can feel the difference at around 4000 with the FTRA

the mid range passing power is awesome with the FTRA also..expect the same results just not sp drastic with the FRA

[ June 15, 2002: Message edited by: NBMA4V6 ]</p>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by lightning:
                Sweet im going to do that tonight, i already have the washers :D <hr></blockquote>

enjoy. Hey bro I'm in coral springs all the time...drop me a line sometime at my screen name. It's in my profile

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by NBMA4V6:

i bet my fast toys ram air has something to say about that :D the free ram air is an awesome mod...however the FTRA just adds to it..i can feel the difference at around 4000 with the FTRA

the mid range passing power is awesome with the FTRA also..expect the same results just not sp drastic with the FRA

[ June 15, 2002: Message edited by: NBMA4V6 ]
                  <hr></blockquote>

whats the diff....smoother surface for the air to go along instead of in between the radiator?? if thats the only diff it cant be that big......

"Money can't buy me happiness, but I'm happiest when I can buy what I want"
                  05' CTS-V
                  00' Camaro - SOLD :(

Comment

nah nikon the CAI and the FTRA basically channel the air from under the car directly into the LID instead of having it hit the radiator (and warm up drastically)

Comment

99camaro, sure man anytime,addmy sn to ur list too.

Comment

how do i make these things?

Comment

if u want to raise ur air box,seal, just add 3 washersunder the 4 screws that hold down ur air box

Comment

oh god [img]tongue.gif[/img] i am not an american, so my english isnt so great, what is a washer? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

a washer is something u would put throgh a bolt or screw to keep it from going throgh any material, but in the case weareusing it as a speacer

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X