80mm throttle body?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80mm throttle body?

Hi, I was reading the tech and I see the 3.8 v6 has a huge throttle body 63mm! I was searching around and I found a 80mm throttle body. I am a little skeptical...Is that even worth it...or is just a crap [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] Well, if you have any suggestions get back to me thanks. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    My 1996 Camaro RS <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangkiller311\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/mustangkiller311</a> \"Its out-dated\"<br />Mods=SLP CAI, 3.42/LSD, 180*, BMR StrutBrace,SLP Take-Off Shocks/Springs, Z28Swaybar, DynomaxSuperTurbo,3in pipes,Catco3in,3in Cutout ThrottleBody Spacer, SolidDriveShaft,NGKplugs, Taylor8mmWires,ZR1 rims, RS Spoiler,WhiteFacedGuages.<br />Stereo= Pioneer DEH-P8400MP, Custom Subthump enclosure, 2 BlouPunkt 12\'s, JL 500/1, Fosgate speakers, 1FaradCap.<p>NEW 1997 FireBird Formula WS6

well, keep in mind the area of a circle = pi * radius^2

lt1's have a dual 52mm (i believe) tb, so the total cross-sectional area of this tb is close to
    1682*pi...

our cars, with a 63mm have a cross sectional area of about 992*pi,
    so in theory the lt1 dual tb will flow nearly 70% better than ours...

now look at the 80mm, cross sectional area is 1600*pi, a huge difference compared to our weak little 992*pi... and really close to what a lt1 tb would flow...

Actually the lt1 would only flow 5% better than an 80mm, so you should get a HUGE improvement

now looking at all of this, let's hope that TB wasn't for a grand-national... :(

Comment

You would really want to flow test those before making that jump. You probably don't need that large a piece. There were a couple of posts awhile ago concerning larger TB's. Going to an extreme like that is not always good for performance.

Comment

Our cars flow 350-400cfm maximum, there is no exception unless you plan on going above 6500RPM (eek).

Our current throttlebodies are seriously oversized as-is, you would gain nothing from getting a larger one - sorry.
        2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
        Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

TB flowchart

throttlebodys only flow as much as the engine can intake
          so if at wot you motor only sucks 400cfm, a tb that flows 650 cfm wont make a difference,the motor will still only pull 400 cfm

63 mm is a huge tb for a v6

[ June 12, 2002: Message edited by: wolf ]</p>
          Wolf<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/249111/7\" target=\"_blank\">95 black t-top camaro</a>,3.4 5 speed,ud pullies,plugs/wires,de-shaft tb & gutted airbox, homemaid short throw shifter

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by wolf:
            TB flowchart

throttlebodys only flow as much as the engine can intake
            so if at wot you motor only sucks 400cfm, a tb that flows 650 cfm wont make a difference,the motor will still only pull 400 cfm

63 mm is a huge tb for a v6

[ June 12, 2002: Message edited by: wolf ]
            <hr></blockquote>

Our TB is 68mm, and that is a VERY helpful link. I really appreciate you finding that, thats something I believe we've all been looking for!
            2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
            Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

Thanx Dominic
              [img]graemlins/evilgrin.gif[/img]
              *cough* *cough* Technical Archive *cough* ahem... :D
              Wolf<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/249111/7\" target=\"_blank\">95 black t-top camaro</a>,3.4 5 speed,ud pullies,plugs/wires,de-shaft tb & gutted airbox, homemaid short throw shifter

Comment

Stock is 65 mm
                There is one modified tb out there.
                Thrasher made/ makes a modified one for us.
                It is 67 mm, yes modified to 2 mm bigger.
                I spoke with the guys at www.grandprixstore.com a while back about this, not worth it.
                $500 plus core charge.
                whoop de frigin do.
                Not worth it in my opinion.
                80 mm, will it fit on our cars? If yes, got a link?

[ June 12, 2002: Message edited by: 12secondv6 ]</p>
                Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
                nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
                2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
                2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

it isn't worth it unless you are gonna start adding displacement. if you got the .02 overbore pistons from 3800performance.com, you'd get 1.5 cubic inches more displacement. The only way I see needing a bigger tb is doing heads/cam, pistons, forced induction, and maybe stroking. Also, cfm makes a difference, but so does smooth airflow. the bigger tb will need to be match ported to the upper intake manifold so airflow is smooth and not choppy or rough. on a stock car, it will maybe add a little throttle response, but that's it. just work on other stuff and get this after you've gotten all of the basic bolt-on's installed.
                  2001 Arctic White Firebird<br />More mods than I\'m allowed to list!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X