Why Needs an S-Pipe? Look Inside! :) - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Needs an S-Pipe? Look Inside! :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Needs an S-Pipe? Look Inside! :)

I've been looking under my car and conspiring to put on a 2.5" straight pipe without a cat but with a muffler and the stock over-the-axle-to-muffler pipe. The problem with our cars is the S-Pipe, which fits perfectly in the shape of the bottom of the car, you can't really avoid it, until now. Here's the plan:

1. Buy some heat shielding to extend to the left of where the shielding normally ends by the Y-collector.

2. Install heat shielding.

3. Cut off all piping between the Y-collector and the bottom of the over-axle pipe (not at muffler, before it goes over axle)

4. The thing that is a problem is the bracket that the normal stock cat arm sits in. Without a cat, you don't need it. Now, before cutting anything, you must realize that you need what the bracket is bolted on to, so just remove enough of the bracket to get a pipe by it, no more, and don't take off what it is bolted to.)

5. When you cut at the y-collector, cut the pipe at an angle that you can run straight piping past the s-bend (bracket normally in the way but not now) and connect it to the I-pipe. The extra heat shielding will be above the new angled pipe which will move a little out of the original range of the shield.

6. Connect 2.5" pipe between the edge of the over-axle pipe and the new angled pipe that goes past the s-bend.

7. Weld up your new 2.5" straight pipe well.

8. Pick a good muffler and leave the over-axle pipe alone, it's too hard to mess with unless you buy an aftermarket pre-bent pipe that comes with a catback, and besides, it's only .25" smaller.

9. Put an o2 simulator where the cat used to be (exhaust shop can put a new bung in for you for like $8)

10. Enjoy your new 2.5" straight pipe! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    C. Boney<br />1997 Firebird 3.8L V6<br />---------------------<br />Modifications:<br /> <br /> SLP Cold Air Induction, Ported/Polished Throttle Body, Carsound 3\" High Flow Cat, Sweet Thunder 24\" Chambered Muffler, Removed Rear Exhaust Section, Custom Fan Switch, 35th Anniv. Silver Stripes, Old T/A-Style Silver Sail Birds

umm why not a 3" system?

Comment

3" straight pipe with no cat = no backpressure and besides, it would be a little hard to connect a 3" pipe to a 2.25" pipe and kinda pointless, we don't have v8's so you need some backpressure still. anyways, with the elimination of the s-pipe bends and the catalytic convertor, you've dropped all the bp you need to even with just 2.5" pipe
      C. Boney<br />1997 Firebird 3.8L V6<br />---------------------<br />Modifications:<br /> <br /> SLP Cold Air Induction, Ported/Polished Throttle Body, Carsound 3\" High Flow Cat, Sweet Thunder 24\" Chambered Muffler, Removed Rear Exhaust Section, Custom Fan Switch, 35th Anniv. Silver Stripes, Old T/A-Style Silver Sail Birds

Comment

yeah... you don't really lose backpressure with a 3.8... I'd go 3"
        2002 Silver Metallic A4 Firebird - All Options
        Hotchkis STB, Custom Madrel Bent 3" Exhaust, Pacesetter Headers, Whisper Lid, FT Ram Air, K&N Air Filter, D2S HID, Baer Rotors, !EGR, !MAF, 10% tint, Parrot CK3300

Your Mom or My Dad?

Comment

is it or am i blind or what the ****

its be proven that a more free flowing exasght = faster car

magnus has proven this by running an open y pipe (think it took off .2 tenths i belive maybe more)

i can detest to this too, i went from stock to a 3" borla catback with a highflow cat lowered me atleast .2 tenths

i even plan on ummmmm replacing the cat with a 3" cutout

ummmmmmm when you run faster then me with the same mods except you with your 2.5"exasght then you can say you lose back pressure and it hurts the performance

(ohh yea only thing else i have is a whisper lid)

ohh yea you could if you wanted to adapt your stock cat to fit a 3" exasght not hard I know people that have done this

[ April 28, 2002: Message edited by: Jason Morgan ]</p>

Comment

Any decent exhaust shop will be able to make an S pipe in minutes. I paid almost nothing for mine. Cut out is good for high stall converters. Free flowing exhaust always helps up top. It's the low end torque that you might loose.

Comment

I did some testing at the track..

Weather was not that great..

RK Headers + 3" CatCo + B&B Tri-Flow 14.8@89
              RK Headers + 2.5" ORP + B&B Tri-Flow 14.7@90
              Rk Headers + Open Y-Pipe 14.5@92

I did many runs, cycled through the test procedure several times.. 60's were identical.

Off-Road pipe was worth .1 and 1mph over a 3" Catco Cat.... and Open y-pipe (NO BACK PRESSURE) was worth .2 and 2mph over off-road pipe.

EVERY time I go to the track now I run open y-pipe.
              Keith - Chicago<br /><a href=\"http://www.hptuners.com\" target=\"_blank\">HP Tuners - PCM Reprogramming</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/\" target=\"_blank\">97 Firebird V6 to LS1 swap</a><br /><b>V8 9.967@132.78</b> 1.322 60\' NA Heads/Cam<br /><b>V8 10.295@128.48</b> 1.363 60\' NA Cam Only<br /><b>V8 10.987@119.31</b> 1.422 60\' NA Stock Internals<br /><b>V6 13.674@98.22</b> NA<br /><b>V6 12.394@104.91</b> N20 100HP

Comment

I am still drooling all over that 13.8 NA time.
                1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
                1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

i looked on your site and i clicked on 13.8 and it showed a 14.29 slip, i just thought you mightwant to fix that :D

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X