How many miles before new cat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many miles before new cat

How many miles would you say before I would need to replace the stock cat. My car is making a rattling noise at low speeds, especially if I ride the clutch a bit - wonder if this sound was from the cat. Anyways, I'm getting the Edelbrock catback soon and thought I might as well get a Catco too, but I just wanted to know how long the stock cat should last and if this noise is in fact the cat and not something else.
    1998 Camaro M5, Sports Appearance Package, K&N,CAI,Whisper Lid, Dynomax Superturbo exhaust,Carsound Converter.<p><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/canadiancamaro\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/canadiancamaro</a>

Well, you're generally not supposed to replace it unless the car is either 5 years old or has 50,000+ miles on it.
    -James<br /><br />\'96 3.8L A4 Camaro (SOLD)

Comment

but if it is damaged you can replace it, but you are suppose to note why you replaced it and send it in somewhere if you car is newer than 5yrs or under 50K. I didn't have to worry about it on my old car cause it was like 72K.
      I would just put a highflow if you are over 50k. I thought it was worth it.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jiffy:
        I didn't have to worry about it on my old car cause it was like 72K.<hr></blockquote>

Actually, your profile says that you have a '99, and that you're in California, right?

Well welcome to the land of CARB regulations. Just a friendly notice - in CA they couldn't give a crap if you're over 50k miles or 5+ years old, or even if your cat is damaged. If your vehicle is '95+ model year and uses OBDII (which our cars do), then it is currently illegal to have any form of aftermarket catalytic converter on your car.

So when you go to get smogged make sure you don't take it to a test-only place, they could nail you for it.

Comment

My old car. I had a 92 Camaro with a 3.1L.I put a new exhuast system on from the ypipe back, cat included. My profile says 99 Firebird, because after I wrecked my 92 Camaro, I bought a 99 Firebird. With my 99 Bird, I went over some railroad tracks too fast and a rock hit my cat, it was busted and rattled like a morracha. Since it was under warranty, I had the dealer replace it with a stock one. They have no problem fixing it. Sorry for the confusion. ;)

[ June 11, 2002: Message edited by: Jiffy ]</p>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jiffy:
            My old car. I had a 92 Camaro with a 3.1L.<hr></blockquote>

Ah. [img]smile.gif[/img] I read it differently. Error of amphiboly. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X