what all is involved in running straight pipes off each header? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what all is involved in running straight pipes off each header?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what all is involved in running straight pipes off each header?

Ok i understand that there is an o2 sensor in the y pipe. If i ran a straight pipe off each header what do i do about the o2? Which pipe do i put the o2 in? Would it be the passenger side? Do i have to use an o2 in each pipe and tap into the one o2 harness so i can run ano2 off each pipe? I think i only need to use one o2 in just the passenger pipe but then there wouldnt be one in the drivers pipe, wouldnt this throw a code? I plan on using an o2 simm in place of after where the cat would be o2 harness. I will have an o2 in each header but im not sure if it would throw a code if i only used an o2 sensor in the passenger pipe where the o2 hole is. I know magnus runs open y pipe at the track so this would be about the same if i just ran straight pipe back with no bends. Please help me with the whole o2 thing thanks

Are there going to be 6 exhaust pipes then? I don't know how that's going to fit. I've seen dual exhausts, but 6 I haven't seen yet. Plus you're going to be adding alot of weight. You could have 2 exit on the sides before the doors, 2 on the side after the doors, 2 more in the rear. That would look menacing when it's cold outside.

Comment

i would think that with a N/A v6 you would kill performance, however if you added a twin turbo or a high psi supercharger it would help your performance.... also 6 pipes coming out of your car wuold look ugly, what do you guys think?
      Street Lethal Performance<br />2000 Black Firebird Y87<br />3.42\'s, Torsen Limited Slip, 160 powerstat,<br />Manual Fan Switch, Cutout exhaust, Whisper Ram Air CAI,<br />K&N filter, Zex spark plugs, MSD plug wires, MAF screen removed.<p>AIM: FIREBIRDRUMBLE00<br /><a href=\"http://www.streetlethalperformance.com/profiles/gazmentselman/gazmentselman.html\" target=\"_blank\">Street Lethal Performance Profile</a>

Comment

I dont mean 6 pipes coming off thecar thats ridiculous :D i meant i will have longtubes then the x pipe then 1 pipe off each header for a total of 2 pipes those two pipes will go into a bullet style muffler and out the sides be4 the back tires

Comment

I was going to say you need somehting putting some backpressure on that system.

no back pressure kills your power. I don't care waht happened with magnus's car, on a n/a v6 you will want backpressure, maybe very little but you want it.

I been running poen exhaust manifolds for 3 days, car runs like crap, i have run the car at the track open exhsut manilfolds and ran a consistent .5 slower, then some of my slowest times with my crappy exhasut system hooked up.

Comment

i will have backpressure with the bullet mufflers if thats not enough then i will run x pipe to cats to 2" pipe to muffler then 2" pipe at the other end and out the sides

Comment

you have 1 o2 sensor in a header, i think, and another after the cat, so just put the 2nd one after the x-pipe. I suggest getting piping that matches the header's collector diameter. get headers w/ 2.5" collectors, then put a pair of 2.5" cat's, then 2.5" piping running to an x-pipe just before the rear end, run both pipes over the rear, and have them flow into a bullit muffler for each, and have whatever tips you want, or you can put the bullit mufflers before the reae end if you want, if you have the room.

[ June 06, 2002: Message edited by: Patrick Javert ]</p>
              2001 Arctic White Firebird<br />T-Tops, 3.42 rear gear stock<br />Mods:K&N Air Filter,Whisper Air Induction Lid, maf screen removed, raised air box, Kumho Ecsta 712 255-50-ZR16 tires, BMR stb<br />Mods not installed yet: FTRA, SLP Lsd/Differential cover<br />Near Future Mods: HPP3, GMMG 3\" Exhaust , 1LE Swaybars, Transgo Shift Kit, MSD-DIS-4 w/ Accel Coil-Packs, Turquoise Blue Neon Underbody Kit, BMR Adj. LCA\'s, G2 Sfc\'s & V-braces, Pacesetter headers

Comment

pat i was told by a few guys that this would be a good setup since im not going over the axle im going out the sides, oh and i have 1 o2 on each header 1 be4 cat one after for a total of 4, anyway here is my plan, longtubes then x pipe then cats then pipeing then bullit mufflers and a little more pipeing mandrel bent out the sides total 4-6 ft long or so, now does it matter if i put the x pipe on right after the headers or does it have 2 be farher down the exhaust? I was also told not 2 go over 2" pipe because combined that would be like 4" pipe which is more than a single 3" exhaust and 2.5" pipe would be overkill with 5" of pipe combined. please give me your opinions guys, will it hurt my power putting the x pipe right after the headers and then the rest of the pipe the way i said above? basically what i was told is the x pipe will replace the y pipe , if i had the cats right after the headers that would be hard to get them to bolt up and what not it seems having the x pipe attached to the headers would be more feasible??? if not let me hear why

[ June 06, 2002: Message edited by: bluecmaro96 ]</p>

Comment

Extend all 6 tubes to make the long headers even longer, then 6 cats, followed by 6 mufflers, 3 x-pipes, then H-pipe combining all 3 into 1, slash cut tips. This should give you very little back pressure yet very quiet car. You'll be the king of street racing. Think about it. Just think about it. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

On a high stall converter car, you don't want back pressure. ;)

I see Dom has a very busy night.

[ June 06, 2002: Message edited by: Magnus ]</p>
                    Keith - Chicago<br /><a href=\"http://www.hptuners.com\" target=\"_blank\">HP Tuners - PCM Reprogramming</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/\" target=\"_blank\">97 Firebird V6 to LS1 swap</a><br /><b>V8 9.967@132.78</b> 1.322 60\' NA Heads/Cam<br /><b>V8 10.295@128.48</b> 1.363 60\' NA Cam Only<br /><b>V8 10.987@119.31</b> 1.422 60\' NA Stock Internals<br /><b>V6 13.674@98.22</b> NA<br /><b>V6 12.394@104.91</b> N20 100HP

Comment

[img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] you need atleast 8 pipes, ok in all seriousness i never said i was gonna use 6 pipes [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] thats crazy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X