Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raise the Airbox 1/2

Well what is it?
    FRA, Whisper Lid, K&N Filter,MAF Screen removed...<br />My camaro can speak french!

a waste of washers.

Comment

Allows you to get some of the high-pressure air that flows over the radiator. Sort of like the free ram-air, but the filter doesn't get as dirty and less chance of the highly unlikely damage from water getting into the engine. This mod works even better if you cut out the rest of the bottom of the airbox out like the free ram air mod. Do not cut the plastic under the airbox that's attached to the radiator. That's the biggest benefit of this mod. No dirty filters, safer, etc. Just raise the box. Gives the incoming air a better path. About an 3/4 to an inch of the back half of the filter will get a little dirtier.

Benefits also include the increasing of the size of the front opening of the airbox by 1/2 an inch exposing more of the filter area. Don't know how much that helps, but doesn't hurt. Raise the box up, and this will all make sense to you.

Do it. It's nearly free. Yo will definately here the car sucking air at startup until it gets warm.
      <b>1998 Firebird 3800 Series II, A4</b><br />Direct-Flo Lid,K&N Filter,DEE TB Spacer,TPS-TEC,ZZP Mini-AFC,Raised and Cutout Airbox 7mm,BMR STB & Boxed LCAs,KYB AGX Shocks,Drilled/Slotted Rotors,180* Thermo,2.5\" Catco Cat,Dynomax 2.75\" custom catback,Kumho Ecstas/245,Jet Stage 2,3.42,Edge Racing 2870 Stall,B&M Tranny Cooler,B&M Deep Tranny Pan,LSD,AAM Girdle,1LE DS,NX Wet Kit,MSD DIS-4,MSD Blaster Coil Packs,Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires,NGK TR6\'S gapped .045,ZZP UD WP Pulley,SLP Fan Switch,TT II\'s<br />N/A: 15.6342 @ 88.44 (On stock converter. Strugglin\' to beat it.)<br />Nitrous 50 Shot: 14.7463 @ 93.49

Comment

This make the opening of the airbox wider? like the ws6 lower box? correct?
        *MATT* <p>98 Camaro SS #1767 A4<br />Artic White<br />Not stock...<p>Former car:<br />96 Firebird Y87 A4<br />Bright Red<br />Wasn\'t stock...

Comment

I can't remember how the ws6 box looks, but I know that fasttoys.net was trying to sell a similar setup for around 500 or 600 bucks. Crazy.

I think you're right though.
          <b>1998 Firebird 3800 Series II, A4</b><br />Direct-Flo Lid,K&N Filter,DEE TB Spacer,TPS-TEC,ZZP Mini-AFC,Raised and Cutout Airbox 7mm,BMR STB & Boxed LCAs,KYB AGX Shocks,Drilled/Slotted Rotors,180* Thermo,2.5\" Catco Cat,Dynomax 2.75\" custom catback,Kumho Ecstas/245,Jet Stage 2,3.42,Edge Racing 2870 Stall,B&M Tranny Cooler,B&M Deep Tranny Pan,LSD,AAM Girdle,1LE DS,NX Wet Kit,MSD DIS-4,MSD Blaster Coil Packs,Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires,NGK TR6\'S gapped .045,ZZP UD WP Pulley,SLP Fan Switch,TT II\'s<br />N/A: 15.6342 @ 88.44 (On stock converter. Strugglin\' to beat it.)<br />Nitrous 50 Shot: 14.7463 @ 93.49

Comment

The WS6 Lower Air-Box has a larger frontal opening. I'm gonna get one when I get a Ws6 Hood! But that won't be for a little wile now. :(
            <b>2000 NBM Pontiac Firebird</b><br />3800GT Performance Package<br /><br />Intake, Magnaflow Cat, Flowmaster Cat-Back

Comment

Well, I've done the free air mod...
              pix of the Raised Air Box?
              FRA, Whisper Lid, K&N Filter,MAF Screen removed...<br />My camaro can speak french!

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Brice77:
                Well, I've done the free air mod...
                pix of the Raised Air Box?
                <hr></blockquote>

On my website...I think its page 4 shows my airbox raised 1/2 inch...Thw WS6 lower airbox would hit. Its like 1/4 inch to high...I tried it. Ask Dominic about his 1/2 airlid kit. Very nice. I have it on my car. so now I run a whisper lid...free ram air cutout and the 1/2 inch raised box.

Hope this helps
                Eric
                Eric

2005 Mustang 4.0
                1996 Camaro Conv
                2000 Ford Excursion

"Darkness Falls"

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by hawgs:
                  a waste of washers.<hr></blockquote>

Comment

I've done it, but I didn't notice a real difference. If you have some washers laying around and some extra time to kill, go for it. Can't hurt anything.
                    <br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/nitroxxx28\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/nitroxxx28</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by AMinor65:
                      ... and less chance of the highly unlikely damage from water getting into the engine. <hr></blockquote> Unless you slam into a low water crossing around a foot deep, water is not going to travel into the engine - in either stock or "Ram Air" configuration.

That's a misconceptioned old mechanics tale.
                      <b>15.41</b> @ 89.80 & 15.45 @ <b>91.64</b>, 2.21 60ft, 3,440 raceweight, using <b>OEM</b> Equipment. <br />\'98 L67/M49 w/ 134,000 miles before spun bearing. \"<i>It\'s all stock, Baby</i>!\"

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bliggida:
                        Unless you slam into a low water crossing around a foot deep, water is not going to travel into the engine - in either stock or "Ram Air" configuration.

That's a misconceptioned old mechanics tale.
                        <hr></blockquote>

Agreed. There is a chance that your filter may get a little damp... but that is at the extreme.
                        Matt<br />2000 Firebird<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/index.php?\" target=\"_blank\">FullThrottleV6.com</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by hawgs:
                          a waste of washers.<hr></blockquote>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X