best induction system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best induction system?

I'm getting a high flow lid (whisper) after I get back from vacation in a few weeks. I'd also like to get some type of cold air/ram system to compliment it. How do the following systems rank in performance (best to worst):
    Fast Toys Ram Air, SLP Cold Air, Super Sucker Ram Air, and (just for curiosity sake) a functional hood such as the Ultra Z hood with a raised lower airbox assembly from a WS.6?
    I know I won't be able to afford the hood at this time, but I was wondering how it ranked compared to the underhood kits.

Thanks,
    Rob

[ June 23, 2003: Message edited by: Rob@USC ]</p>
    <b>2002 Pewter v6 Camaro</b><br />T-tops, Auto, stock GFX<br />mods: SSRA, Whisper lid, K&N filter, Borla cat-back, Pioneer HU, RF 6.5\" speakers, billet grill, clear corners, red tubing under hood, black CAMARO fill-in\'s, QTEC, GM power antenna, fan switch

I can't really say much about the others, since I haven't had the chance to judge their performance, but I have a functional hood from Suncoast Creations with the airbox that basically seals itself from the hood to the box itself and takes the air coming in from the scoops and feeds it directly to the filter, and directly into the TB. I don't know the mechanics behind the others, so I could be wrong, but it seems like this would theoratically be the best bet, since there is air being somewhat "forced" down through the filter (if you remove parts of the little shield inside the scoops that help keep rain water out, but if you keep the grilles intact then it shouldn't be too much of a problem). I'm sure you get these same effects with all of those intakes, but it gave my engine a more "gurgly" sound, and it lowered the tone of higher RPMs somewhat (a great start to a non-rice exhaust). Performance-wise, my idle is much more stable and acceleration has increased, as expected. I haven't had a chance to test the higher-end results, but I'm sure they're noticebely different from before. Anyway, I know you said you probably wouldn't be getting the hood, but I'm just throwing in my own little review. Like I said, I'm not sure how the other intakes work, but I see the functional-hood approach as being the best since there is no "tube" for the air to have to travel through, since it goes straight into the TB, thus reducing resistance. I could be wrong though, so someone please correct me, since I would have to give bad advice. But anyway, there's my 2 cents. Hope it helps.
    \"The Bird\" - \'95 Firebird (3.8), White<br />Suncoat Creations RamAir Predator hood with SC airbox, 30th Anniversary Ram Air-style stripes, Wings West W-Type ground effects, Last of the Breed Anniversary Emblems, Carsound High-Flow Cat, SLP Loudmouth Catback w/ 3.5\" slash-cut tips, and much more to come.

Comment

for 2000+ cars: FTRA or SSRA/K&N/Whisper Lid/Removed MAF screen/ZZP Big bore TB.
      2001 Arctic White Firebird<br />More mods than I\'m allowed to list!

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Arctc Wolf:
        ZZP Big bore TB<hr></blockquote>

Link to this? The only one I can find says it's for use in FWD applications. I think I remember hearing somewhere that the FWD and RWD L36 use different TB's. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Rob
        <b>2002 Pewter v6 Camaro</b><br />T-tops, Auto, stock GFX<br />mods: SSRA, Whisper lid, K&N filter, Borla cat-back, Pioneer HU, RF 6.5\" speakers, billet grill, clear corners, red tubing under hood, black CAMARO fill-in\'s, QTEC, GM power antenna, fan switch

Comment

Lid, Filter, Raise the Airbox 1/2" :cool:

If you want one of my airbox raising kits, let me know... really good quality and inexpensive.
          2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
          Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

The Super Sucker Ram Air picked up 13rwhp over stock on my 02 SS. We used a construction blower/fan to simulate airstream. We placed this right in front of the scoop under the bumper.
            <a href=\"http://www.austinperformanceinc.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.austinperformanceinc.com</a><p>2002SS blk, M6, 4.10\'s, comp cam 224/.581/112LSA, TPIS LT headers, SLP lid, Super Sucker Ram Air, Qwik Stick. No T-tops, ASR is my foot.<br />394rwhp/380rwtq

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X