Help: Dynomax or Edelbrock (or other) - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help: Dynomax or Edelbrock (or other)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help: Dynomax or Edelbrock (or other)

I am a new member. I have been reading this board for quite a while but have just recently registered to be a member. My name is Jay and I have a 1996 3.8L Stock Camaro.

I am going to be putting on a cat-back exhaust system and want as little rasp and as little rice burner tone as possible. I have been researching exhaust systems since August and have basically limited it down to the Edelbrock RPM Series muffler (Part # 5519) and the Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler (Part # 17739). I would order one of these mufflers and have Meineke muffler shop mandrel bend me 2.5" pipes for the cat-back system and install it. I think that 3" pipes are too much for a stock 3.8L V6. I eliminated the Magnaflow cat-back because I didn't really like the set-up of it, but I have seen that there are some people here who really like it. If it really sounds as good as some make it out to be, I might reconsider it. I also noticed that someone here had the GMMG system. I am really curious as to what that system sounds like on our cars.

If anyone has any info on the Dynomax or Edelbrock muffler, that would be very helpful. If someone really thinks that I should reconsider some other muffler or system(other than Flowmaster), I will take comments on that too.

Thanks guys, and proud to finally be a member of the board.
    1996 Polo Green Metallic Camaro:<br />SLP CAI, Carsound/Magnaflow 3\" in/out cat, Flowmaster 2.5\" cat-back... sounds great

I have the Dynomax on my car. I've done some minor intake mods and in combination is sounds pretty good. Not as ricey as my friends 3.4L with flowmasters did. No matter what exhaust you get it will have some rasp, remember, we have V6s, not V8s, and no exhaust out there will make your 6 sound like an 8. If you dont want alot of sound, and mostly want the looks of duals, a takeoff exhast from a Z28 for trans am might be a better bet for you. Hope this helps and welcome to the board
    98 White T-Top Firebird<br />w/ the crome 5 star rims<br />FRA, Smoothed stock lid,<br />Dynomax Super Turbo Exhaust<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=346111\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=346111</a>

Comment

I have heard that the Edelbrock has a more mellow tone to it and the Dynomax eliminates a lot of the rasp, and both are not as ricey at higher RPM's as other systems, but they can still get like that when reving high. I was thinking about having the exhaust system done(after I pick one of those two mufflers), and if I think it still has too much rasp, I thought that maybe I could put a resonator in right after the cat.

I know I am going to have an exhaust system done, I just need to figure out if I want to go with the Edelbrock muffler or the Dynomax muffler.
      1996 Polo Green Metallic Camaro:<br />SLP CAI, Carsound/Magnaflow 3\" in/out cat, Flowmaster 2.5\" cat-back... sounds great

Comment

Well I just installed my Magnaflow catback system a few days ago and I am pretty pleased with the sound. Most people say that after about 3000 RPM's it sounds like crap, but I think mine sounds pretty good. Its not ricey sounding but I mean its no V8. Its not real loud and obnoxious either but when you get on it you can tell that its there. I felt a noticable gain in the power too. Plus I got the whole system shipped to my door for $315, so Im damn happy with it.
        1997 Camaro<br />17x9 Chrome SS wheels, SLP CAI, Magnaflow Catback,<br />High Flow Cat, Blacked out Lights, 20% tint, AUDIO: 1600W Kenwood eXcelon Amp, 12\" Kicker L7, 1 Farad Cap (Recently STOLEN),<br />H&R Springs and KYB AGX\'s,<br />Billet Grille

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X