How does a cutout sound on a 3.8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does a cutout sound on a 3.8?

looking at picking one up for my car. It will more than likely be before the cat. Just wanted to know has anybody done a cutout befor the cat on a 3.8 and how does it sound? Heard one the other day (older car) but it sounded very mean.
    2004 Dodge Dakota 3.7 litres of raw power!!<br />Nothing but a 6!<br />Do you know for sure? John 3:18

It sounds pretty mean. I think you should try it and see for your self since it is pretty cheap. I used to have one but it grew old. Lost lots of low end. It does have high end gains but I don't have mine for a reason anymore....... ;)

Catback is the way to go.
    I like B&B and Borla. The best Catback in my opinion is the Corsa. All of these cost money but you get what you pay for.... at least most of the time. :D
    <b>Red 1999 Firebird M5</b><br />Whisper Lid,Borla Catback,K&N,Dual Friction Center Force Clutch,Hurst Shifter w/Lou\'s Short Stick,!FRA,Suncoast Ramair hood,160 Thermo,!maf,Chrome ZO6 Wheels, Painted Calipers, CIA Headers, Taylor Wires, NGK Spark Plugs, 3\" Catco, Jet Chip Stage II, BMR STB, LCA, PHR, SFC, Fan Switch, FTRA<br /><b>Old Dyno Numbers: 183 RWHP, 217 RWTRQ</b><br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/redsixer\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/user/redsixer</a>

Comment

it sounds god awful actually. below 3k rpms it isn't bad, just a very deep, unsteady rumble--people say it sounds like a v8 at idle, but it doesn't really, sounds more like a v6 without a muffler =/ i would NOT wate my money on a cutout; i had cut my muffler off for a week before i got my catback system and i was ready to get that muffler on it was so bad. if i had spent that $40 or whatever on the cutout i woulda been pissed. and you won't gain any power at all, and if you do, it's so little power you will never know.
      2000 NBM M6 Camaro Z28<br />323/335

Comment

I plan on getting one when I finish my exhaust. Not for now, but for down the road when i get my 3.42 gears, 3000 converter and cam.

For track use mostly...
        1997 silver Camaro RS<br />|T-Type Powered|<br /><a href=\"http://www.kwfbody.com\" target=\"_blank\">Looking for a local F-Body club in K/W, Ontario, Canada?</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Redsix:

Catback is the way to go.
          I like B&B and Borla. The best Catback in my opinion is the Corsa. All of these cost money but you get what you pay for.... at least most of the time. :D
          <hr></blockquote>

Bud you are gonna like my setup then, in a few weeks baby. Check the lounge. [img]smile.gif[/img] :D :D :D [img]smile.gif[/img]

What happened to the allmighty Ravin???

Scott

Comment

I still like the Ravin. Sometimes i want my to loud and i mean so loud that that it will set car alarms off 10 blocks away. [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]
            2004 Dodge Dakota 3.7 litres of raw power!!<br />Nothing but a 6!<br />Do you know for sure? John 3:18

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>i had cut my muffler off for a week before i got my catback system and i was ready to get that muffler on it was so bad. <hr></blockquote>

well, i believe theirs a difference still when you have the cutout opened and the rest of your exhaust is still there. i felt the tailpipes in the back and exhaust still flows through them, just not as much. maybe thats why you didn't like the sound, because ALL of the exhaust was going out freely, not 60/40. anyway, just a theory...
              A4 :( ws6 hood, magnaflow cat-back, Pewter ppg paint, red calipers w/ decals, t-tops, chrome wheels, cutout, bald rear right tire (3.42 w/o lsd)

Comment

i put mine in place of the cat and it is so loud its crazy... every time i start my car someone turns and looks... everyone asks if its an 8 and all that crap...

merlin
                2002 Firebird<br />2003 Yamaha YZF 600R

Comment

What exactly do you cut out ?

Comment

A cutout is basically a y-pipe placed right before the axle w/ a plate closing it off. You take off the plate so that exhaust exits your car before the muffler.

And it sounds terrible. I have had mine for quite some time now, and I only take it off at the strip because it does improve my times (but I have a stock exhaust system).

If you have an aftermarket exhaust, its not worth the money if you are N/A.

Definitely do not buy it for the sound. It sounds good on a rev up to 2k rpms, but past that it just drones terribly to the point things rattle in my car. When I get a real exhaust system, the cutout will not be going back on with it.

[img]graemlins/thumbsdown.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsdown.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsdown.gif[/img]
                    2001 75th Anniversary V6 Pewter Firebird w/ Chrome Wheels, T-Tops, & Y87<br />Mods: Free Ram Air, !Silencer, Holley Filter, Full 3\" Hooker Catback, 3\" Cat<br />Best time: 15.095 at 90.00 MPH with a 2.127 60\'

Comment

I especially hate the way the exhaust flow tries to escape through the sides of the plate when capped. Makes it sounds like you have holes in your pipe. BTW, i have wing nuts on my plate, and no matter how tight i tighten them, air will still escaoe. Sounds like sh!t too...
                      1998 Red Firebird A4 3.8L (3.08)<br />Dynomax bullet then dumped, Carsound cat, NGKTR55 plugs, Taylor Pro 8mm, Hypertech 160*, Whisper Lid, k&n,!FRA, Lifted Airbox<br />(2) Audiobahn 10\" subs<br /> Sony Xplod MP3 Head unit/interchangeable Color Display

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X