Coming VERY Soon, Full Length 4" Cold Air Induction - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coming VERY Soon, Full Length 4" Cold Air Induction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming VERY Soon, Full Length 4" Cold Air Induction

I'm working on it right now actually, it's consisting of a 4" rubber elbow, a specifically trimmed 4" turndown (trimmed to form a 23.5* angle as this is what fits perfectly), a small extension of 4" tubing, and a nice big cone filter. This will run like the SLP intake except it will be 4" all the way to the filter with smooth bends. I just finished removing my A/c system so that's helping as I can move the radiator forward (no condensor) to make room for the 4" pipe but with some wiggling/adjustment of the radiator and condensor still in, it's a tight fit but does work! Will let you all know how it goes and have pics when its done!

Here's some specifics on the pipe air flow capacities that might be helpful, although our N/A engines only can pull so much I still think a smooth 4" intake would help when other mods are on:

(These numbers are calculated using basic math formulas, [pi * radius * radius * height] is the area of a section of pipe with depth and should show you how much more air the bigger pipe can handle, I also did the calculations in a 3" section of pipe for anyone who wanted to see the numbers for a pipe with actual depth):

Stock Airflow: who knows but it sucks!

Single 3" Pipe:
    total area in 3" length of pipe -> 21.195 in

Dual 2.5" Pipes (SLP):
    total area in 3" length of pipe -> 29.4375 in

Single 4" Pipe:
    total area in 3" length of pipe -> 37.68 in

All other intakes have restrictive crimps near the radiator/abs module section that kill airflow. Also, any metal intake is going to absorb heat so there isnt much to do about this if you dont want plastic or pvc pipes. Therefore I don't see the need to put a 90* angled section to make the pipe go down into the lower fender area like SLP does but you could always do that to this intake if you wanted to, as far as I've seen that cold air benefit seems to be gone when the engine/intake heats up.

[ March 11, 2004, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: cboney2003 ]
    1997 Pontiac Firebird 3.9L<br /><br /> - TSP Dyno Tuned<br /> - Bored 0.040<br /> - ARP Rod Bolts / Head Studs<br /> - Custom CAI<br /> - Pacesetter Ceramic Headers / !Cat<br /> - 3\" Catback w/SLP Firehawk Muffler<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/649312\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/649312</a>

wat year is this for?
    !! Drive it like you stole it !!<br /><br />I believe forgiving them is gods function, our job is to arrange the meeting <br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.azclubgp.com/garage.php?mode=viewgarage&u=202\" target=\"_blank\">2002 GTP 40th Anniversary Edition Sedan</a> <br />-------------<br />Mods:<br />3.4\" Pulley<br />rigged K&N Filter<br />14.3 et

Comment

Two points:

1. A naturally aspirated engine only needs so much intake. Putting a 4" intake on there won't do diddly. Ricers put 25" filters on with 10" pipes, performance-minded F-Bodies only need 3" or so.

Think about it... a supercharger pulls far more air than any NA engine. The LT1/LS1 ATI Procharger kit only needs a 7" K&N cone filter + a 3" intake. Why would a N/A 3.4/3.8 V6 need larger intake pipes than a supercharged 5.7 V8?

[img]graemlins/slap.gif[/img]

Originally posted by cboney2003:
      Also, any metal intake is going to absorb heat so there isnt much to do about this if you dont want plastic or pvc pipes.
      2. Not true. This has been disproven time and time again, both by SLP engineers and enthusiasts alike. The metal pipes leading to the intake do NOT absorb significant heat. They do NOT cause the intake air temperature to rise. SLP has done more research into this than you have, trust that their metal intake pipes are not as poorly designed as you think.

A 4" intake is both a waste of time and money. Spend your R&D time/dollars developing performance products of real value, not a riced-out massive intake pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by cboney2003:
        Also, any metal intake is going to absorb heat so there isnt much to do about this if you dont want plastic or pvc pipes.
        2. Not true. This has been disproven time and time again, both by SLP engineers and enthusiasts alike. The metal pipes leading to the intake do NOT absorb significant heat. They do NOT cause the intake air temperature to rise. SLP has done more research into this than you have, trust that their metal intake pipes are not as poorly designed as you think.

</font>[/QUOTE]It wouldn't even make sense if they did. Heat flows from high temperature to low temperature, never the reverse. Where is the energy coming from in the first place if it goes from the metal intake pipe to the air flowing through it? [img]graemlins/stickpoke.gif[/img]
        2001 Black Z28 M6<br />Sprayed, slotted, geared and more~

Comment

do da do da
          ~The Guru\'s Guru~<br />1999 Camaro,K&N,!MAF<br />!airsilencer,3.08s,<br />NGK-TR6\'s,Taylor Blue 8mm wires,FRAM,A4,Catco Cat, Magnaflow 3 inch catback,transgo shift kit<br />Waiting: RK sport headers, custom y pipe electric cutout<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc</a>

Comment

3" Intake is big enough. Considering aftermarket exhaust MADE for the V6 is 2.5".
            <b>2000 NBM Pontiac Firebird</b><br />3800GT Performance Package<br /><br />Intake, Magnaflow Cat, Flowmaster Cat-Back

Comment

Glad to see everyone is supportive.. Well either way I just thought I'd let you know that its not going to like riced out as soon as I have it powdercoated, it's cost efficient even with 3 1/2" pipe (4" or 3.5" cost me the large total of $15 for either plus an elbow for $20, dont see how $35 and a filter for $20 isn't cost efficient since EVERYTHING out there is $180+) Sorry I offered and next time please dont bash like that, I appreciate the comments where I'm wrong about something but regardless of whether or not you want a bigger intake than 3" that doesnt speak for everyone and if it works better, why not? (3.5 made a good difference for me than 3 so im trying 4 at the max)
              1997 Pontiac Firebird 3.9L<br /><br /> - TSP Dyno Tuned<br /> - Bored 0.040<br /> - ARP Rod Bolts / Head Studs<br /> - Custom CAI<br /> - Pacesetter Ceramic Headers / !Cat<br /> - 3\" Catback w/SLP Firehawk Muffler<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/649312\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/649312</a>

Comment

Bigger can decrease airflow velocity also...Too big can for sure kill power!
                <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a> THE SOURCE!

Comment

He's quite correct about that statement. This is why SLP CAI has 2-2.5" pipes. The two pipes provide large internal area (kinda like using a 5" pipe) but because they are seperate you get the velocity of 2.5" pipes. The system needs to be balanced between intake velocity, and intake flow specifications.
                  1997 Camaro RS - Polo Green<br /> Y87 Performance Package<br /> 80 Series Flowmaster <br /> Homemade CAI<br /> B&M Transpak Stage II

Comment

You removed your A/C, so you could move the radiator forward, to fit a CAI in your car?

Thats nuts man.

Thats WAY more work then most people are willing to do for something as simple as a CAI, not to mention that many people want to keep their A/C.

Man, I don't care if you sell that Setup for $30, if people have to remove their A/C to use it, it ain't gonna sell for crap.

[ March 14, 2004, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: Distephano ]
                    1997 Cayenne Red Metallic Camaro<br />3.8 V6 M5<br />SLP Cold Air Intake<br />Ceramic Coated Pacesetter Headers <br />Flowmaster American Thunder Catback<br />Full 3.42 & Disc Break Rear End Swap

Comment

Cboney don't let people discourage you. Try something different. if it works great. If it does not... no biggie. That is what this community is about pushing forward in the name of improving our fbodies.

Comment

distephano, you're a moron
                        :rolleyes:
                        ~The Guru\'s Guru~<br />1999 Camaro,K&N,!MAF<br />!airsilencer,3.08s,<br />NGK-TR6\'s,Taylor Blue 8mm wires,FRAM,A4,Catco Cat, Magnaflow 3 inch catback,transgo shift kit<br />Waiting: RK sport headers, custom y pipe electric cutout<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc</a>

Comment

intake velocity on a na car, pre TB?

thats something that you don't hear much about

guess my LS1 sucks, as there is no intake velocity before the TB as it fans out to the lid.

Ryan.
                          1998 Ws6 Ta M6 #370 Bright Red<br />Custom \"NX\" style switch panels $35<br />Plug in fan switches $50 <br />SLP lid, Pro 5.0, Corsa, Custom Fan switch<br />....vortech waiting to be installed.

Comment

intake velocity on a na car, pre TB?

thats something that you don't hear much about

guess my LS1 sucks, as there is no intake velocity before the TB as it fans out to the lid.

Ryan.
                            thats my thoughts...the need for velocity before the TB doesnt matter, its he velocity in the ports that matters....I bet it'll work just as good as any other intake but i dont believe it'll be any better than other intake setups, just cheaper which is always a plus...
                            <b>Black</b> 1998 Pontiac <i>Firebird</i> A-4 swap<br />271.4rwhp/259.4rwtq NA<br />13.30@102.44 <br /><a href=\"http://www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98\" target=\"_blank\">www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98</a>

Comment

I take it this is for a 96-97fbody?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X