cold air intake beside slp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cold air intake beside slp

im looking for a new cold air intake. i had the SLP cai, but since it sucked water into my engine and caused internal engine damage im now looking for a different cold air intake to go with my new jasper oem engine. any suggestions.. ?

Just curious...how did it "suck" water into the engine?
    Shawn<br />2002 Silver W68 Firebird

Comment

driving to work half asleep i drove thru a lake sized puddle

Comment

the G2 cai dosent look like a bad direction to go in, any comments?

Comment

Wow...

All of the intakes for the 95-97 3.8 have the filters relatively low though. The high-mounted lid-style ones didn't enter into the picture until 98. And you probably can't use them because your hood won't shut properly over them.

I'd say keep the SLP, that's a great intake. Just don't go scuba diving in your car!

Comment

Yeah...exactly what stefan said....they work great...just stop driving through lakes.
            Shawn<br />2002 Silver W68 Firebird

Comment

well after spending about 4grand on a new jester oem replacement engine, im not looking to put the thing back on my car after it killed my engine once.. i looked into the g2.. it looks to me like it sits in the engine bay where the factory intake did, just with out that radiator pinch.

does anyone have any experence with the g2 or pictures of there install?

Comment

try the stock hood nostral cuts, they look like a decent alternative and it doesnt look bad either. why did the engine cost so much though. you could have gotten an ls1 off ebay for that much. i think i saw an l67 for like 1000 on ebay with 12000 miles on it a few weeks ago but i guess if you want a brand new engine you have to pay for it. sucks to hear an intake killed your car though. good luck finding a different intake, i havent found one.
                2001 Arctic White Firebird With Black Drop Top<br /><br />3:42 Gears<br />Zexel LSD<br />BMR upper A-Arms<br />Trans Am exhaust with 3\" I-pipe and cutout<br />Modified intake<br />Mecham Hood<br />Trans Go shift kit<br />Making rear control arms and panhard

Comment

Your intake did not kill your car. Driving through a lake did. You should not base your intake decisions on how deep the water is that you can drive through.

Plus, the elevation of the SLP filters is about the same as the stock airbox. The only intakes that sit higher are the 98+ lid styles.

Comment

Here is a copy of a reply I made a few days ago:

"I have the G2. It fits in the stock location to get it off the ground and away from rain water.
                    The stock tube is very restrictive where it passes the radiator. The G2 replaces this plus the filter housing is larger.

I originally had a K&N CIA on the car. However, on a typical rainy day after driving on the interstate for about 30 min,and not going thru any puddles, I put the car on the rack and notice the filter was slightly wet. Now must people would not worry about that. However, since I depend on my car every day I did not want to take a chance of water in the intake. Thus I choose the G2.

I could tell no difference in performance between the G2 and K&N.

PS....Since about half of the G2 filter housing is below the engine compartment, I modified the cover to let in more air."

Hope it helps
                    Dr Todd

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X