Just oiled my K&N how long before I re-install it??? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just oiled my K&N how long before I re-install it???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just oiled my K&N how long before I re-install it???

I took Cardinal's approach and let the filter dry overnight and it was completely dry this morning. I just sprayed the oil on it and it looks brand new. So how long do I have to wait before the oil stays put? I don't want to install the filter and drive spiritedly and have my throttle body suck in all that oil residue. Any advice would be helpful thanks...
    <b>Sean: 1994 Camaro daily driver</b>

20-30 minutes hopefully. Just dont put so much oil on the filter that is all drippy [img]smile.gif[/img] If its drippy then wipe it off, shake it off, you dont want drips of oil flying into the engine - but it should stay in the filter even if its really saturated.

Mine looks new too :D
    2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
    Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

Thanks! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] I'm gonna wipe it down a bit because I think I went overboard on the oiling :D

Comment

This is why I didn't buy the K&N or Holley oil - both are severely drippy and come in bottles not spraycans.

If you dont mind a blue filter, buy the SLP Donaldson Air Filter Kit - my god it rules. The spray cleaner smells like 409, but doesnt seem superstrong - does a great job though. Also, the spray cleaner comes in a HUGE BOTTLE. The spray oil comes in a fairly sizeable can - and I bet I can clean/reoil my filter 5-10x with this kit before I completely run out...

The oil rules because it sticks really well. Last time I did a K&N the oil didnt seem sticky - and it stained everything including my hands. I wish you better luck with your K&N :D
        2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
        Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

I gotta remember that for when I actually buy a CAI (I'm going with the MTI one) instead of the home made one I have now. My oil came in an aerosol can... it basically looked like hornet killer for an air filter!

... but man was it drippy :( (no pun intened)

Comment

cardinal i have K%N oil in a spray can.. dont know why you think it does not come in one.

Comment

Yep all this talk of cleaning K&N filter made me realize its been awhile I used to do it every oil change but ots been nearly 8k on it. I cleaned it the water was black coming out and left a gravel like stuff on my girlfriends bathitub. I let it sit for an hour, let it sit as long as posssible if you ahve time but at least 20-30 min. I let mine dry over night, I did a REALLY thorough cleaning.

Reason why I was avoinding oil in the bottle sucked but now they sell aerosol.

Comment

they have sold it in the spray can for a very long time

Comment

how often should the cone be cleaned???
                  2001 SOM Camaro SS<p>Direct flo lid---Lakewood LCAs----Edelbrock Torque Arm-----Lous Short Stick---Dynomouth 3\" Exhaust---SLP Center Mount Exhaust---Poly tranny and torque arm mounts.<p>My site....http://community.webshots.com/album/49413018hRfdbP

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by chevcamaro18:
                    how often should the cone be cleaned???<hr></blockquote>

I do mine at every oil change [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
                    97 Red Firebird<br />Best N/A 1/4: 13.98<br />Best N/A MPH: 96.13<br />Best Nitrous 1/4: 12.49<br />Best Nitrous MPH: 108.53<p>2001 Pewter Camaro SS <br />GTP Stage II Heads, Pig Cam, Holley Intake, SLP Headers, SLP Lid, Vigalante 3600 Stall Converter, MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust, Duel Electric Cut-Outs<br />11.26@121

Comment

actually they suggest 50-100,000 miles on street driven applications. Service more often in off-road or heavy dust conditons or when aire filter reaches 18" of restriction. Let the dirt "build-up" work for you; it will not hurt the performance and actually help filter the air.

extreme fine dust will pull the oil from the element frequent re-oiling of th elements clean side might be required. Completely service when practical is their suggestion.

I clean mine about every 15000 or when i notice there is not oil on the filter that can actually trap dirt

Comment

thats what i though cuz i have had mine in about 20,000 and havent cleaned it yet i think i will today when i change my oil
                        2001 SOM Camaro SS<p>Direct flo lid---Lakewood LCAs----Edelbrock Torque Arm-----Lous Short Stick---Dynomouth 3\" Exhaust---SLP Center Mount Exhaust---Poly tranny and torque arm mounts.<p>My site....http://community.webshots.com/album/49413018hRfdbP

Comment

I don't really worry about mine being dirty because of all those tests i saw that a dirty K&N flowed better than a paper filter. So i figure even if its dirty, oh well. I'll get around to it someday.
                          <b>Matt</b><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=377225&page=1\" target=\"_blank\">\'96 Camaro Z28 M6</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=377225&page=3\" target=\"_blank\">\'96 Camaro M5</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X