CAI and Exhaust questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAI and Exhaust questions

First off, I did a search, and found no info on the questions I'm about to ask (I'm lazy though, so I could have missed somethin). Any way, I went to my local performance parts store to inquire about exhaust and CAI for my bird.

CAI: Guy said K&N doesn't make CAI for the 3.8l, I'm outta luck. Now I know some of you use K&N, my question is how?

Exhaust: Wanted flow master 3" cat back, told there is nothing for the 3.8l from flow master, or borla etc (outta luck).

Both: Guy said I can't use the 5.7l parts cause it will screw up the computer, GM has very low tolerance for deviation (air flow i guess). This will cause the timming to be off, and SES to come on (which he states causes the car to lose performance due to more conservative timmings till it is off).

I guess all I can say is HELP!!! what do you guys/girls (gotta be pc) do? any part numbers?

Thanks all,

PS
    if your in canada, where do you get your parts from? (pertaining to my thread in the lounge)

[ February 17, 2002: Message edited by: nofear_102 ]</p>
    97 firebird <br />Y87<br />Flowmaster 80 exhaust <br />SLP CAI<br />T-Tops<br />Balding tires!!

with the k&n one i think you need a lt1 elbow to have it on the 3.8L

I dont see how it could mess you cars air fuel mixture to where it would set of the ses light.

flowmasrer has the 80 series made for our cars. thats what i have on mine.
    <a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/atg284\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.geocities.com/atg284</a> <br /><br />1996 Black RS<br />3.8L --V6 -- A4<br />y87 performance package--flowmaster--SLP CAI--fan switch--3.42 gears--nos 5175 <br /><a href=\"http://camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/theforgottenfbod\" target=\"_blank\">http://camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/theforgottenfbod</a>

Comment

Actually, from flowmasters website, the 80 series is just for V-8 only, which is what I was told and why this sales guy has me worried.
      97 firebird <br />Y87<br />Flowmaster 80 exhaust <br />SLP CAI<br />T-Tops<br />Balding tires!!

Comment

The flowmaster will still work on a v6. I used to have one. Even a 3", but that's a controversial subject, so I won't get into that. I know SLP and moroso makes intakes for your year of car. Your Flows WILL sound like crap if you don't have your intake modded.
        <b>99 Camaro Z28 A4</b><br />R.I.P. 00 Firebird 3.8<br />14.89 @ 90, 2.03 60\'

Comment

Best intake made for the 95-97 3.8s is the SLP. I have one on mine and like it. More info. on it on my website. (see sig).

As for exhaust - Technically speaking, anything that you can bolt or weld up will work. Right now I have a Flowmaster 40 Series single in/out. I recommend that if you want to buy a Flowmaster that you go with the 80 Series. However, I personally plan on switching to a Dynomax SuperTurbo in the not too distant future. But exhaust is very largely a personal preference issue, so go with whatever you like.

EDIT: Helpful hint - If you run a quick search, you can come with threads with people's opinions of most of the different mufflers out there. Dynomax, Spintech, Flowmaster, and Edelbrock all have their circles in which they are highly ranked, as do Borla and B&B.

[ February 17, 2002: Message edited by: RacerJ ]</p>
          -James<br /><br />\'96 3.8L A4 Camaro (SOLD)

Comment

Okay, here we go!

1. CAI: You have a 97, so therefore as mentioned earlier the SLP will work great. You might want to take into account the Arizona Speed and Marine CAI also. Way cheaper, exact same design, but won't get as hot because the intake elbow is made of polyeurathane, not mandrel bent metal so it won't heat up as much. I could be wrong about that. Either one will suffice.

2. Exhaust: Boy, this guy must not have wanted to sell you anything. LOL!!! Throw off the air/fuel curves........lmao.
            Okay anyway, it all depends on what you want in your sound. If you want to be heard, get the American Thunder Catback from flowmaster, and put a cutout on it too. You'll be noticed.
            If you want good sound go with a dynomax catback or a spintech muffler and a custom intermediate pipe. For simplicity you can go with the dynomax cause it will bolt right up. Priced very well too.

Basically whatever shop you went to, don't ever go there again. That guy has no clue what the **** he is talking about.

Scott

Comment

don't kill the newbie but what is a cut out?
              <a href=\"http://alternatebw.homestead.com/files/cam19.JPG\" target=\"_blank\">1996 Camaro 3800II Y87 A4</a> (SOLD)<p>NEW CAR:<br />2003 Ford Mustang

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by triad:
                don't kill the newbie but what is a cut out?<hr></blockquote>

Basically it's an exhaust bypass that you'd weld into place in the exhaust. When it's capped, everything will flow as normal. Uncapped, and your exhaust dumps out before going to the muffler.
                -James<br /><br />\'96 3.8L A4 Camaro (SOLD)

Comment

lets see: i have an slp cai and flowmaster exhaust
                  according to that guy i must have a v8!!! sweet!!!
                  what a dumb***
                  don't ever go to his shop again. BTW you can find these parts at any web site under the V6 section.
                  White \'97 Firebird V6<br />t-tops<br />80 series Flowmaster Exhaust<br />SLP CAI<br />180* stat<br />tinted side and back windows<br />3\" echo pipes/chrome tips<br />headlight conversion kit<br />fog lamps<br />smoke rear and turning lamp covers

Comment

Why the dynomax? Is it loud or just a little louder than stock? Is it better or louder than an SLP takeoff? (which is a good inexpensive option)
                    2002 Navy Blue Metallic 3.8 Camaro M5 - Y87, Sport Appearance, T-Tops<br />SLP CAI, K&N, Whisper Lid, Pro 5.0<br />Dynomax Super Turbo, 2.75 I-Pipe, Fasttoys Quad Tips<br />Kenwood KDC-MP919, Kicker IX405D, Focal Polykevlar 165K2s, JL Audio 10w3-2 Stealthbox

Comment

Okay, what have I learned from this post???
                      guy at local shop = dumb a$$

I'm gonna go with dynomax 2.75" with 3" high flow cat.
                      Does any one know part numbers? I want to just order, not listen to dudes dumb a$$ advice.
                      Do I need any special parts to make this fit on my bird?

Thanks all, I know you're all sick of "EXHAUST" questions, I really appreciate the help (as you can see theres not much help from the locals where I am.

P.S
                      I need manufacturers part numbers, since I'm in canada, I won't be ordering from the US.

[img]graemlins/fluffy.gif[/img] shhhh! don't tell.......fluffy suffers from premature acceleration :eek:

Comment

If i am not mistaken, Borla makes a system for the v6, not only the V8's. I wish corsa did but i am gonna modify it when i get it in and make it work. Good luck.
                        2002 Silver Firebird M5<br />T-Tops, Whisper Lid, Flow Master 80 series w/ 3\" stainless tips, Holly Powershot filter, B&M Ripper shifter with Leather SLP shift knob, Eurolight conversion kit for headlights. Mods soon to come<br />Raptor style ram air hood, intake kit.<p>my car <a href=\"http://www.systemsam.net/firebird/image003.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">www.systemsam.net/firebird/image003.jpg</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.systemsam.net/firebird/image008.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">www.systemsam.net/firebird/image008.jpg</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X