Need louder exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need louder exhaust

I currently have flowmaster 80 series dual. What can i do to make my exhaust louder, but not to sound like a rice burner? Get a new muffler, if so what kinda and how does it sound or anything else.....thanks alot
    98 silver 3.8 A4, cold air induction, K&N filter<br />Flowmaster 80 series muffler, 2.5\" pipes, Trans go shift kit<br />corvette servo, Big end performance trans cooler<br />:Apperance:<br />Chrome SS wheels, 4\" cowl induction hood, SS spoiler,<br /> Tint: 36% sides, 5% rear,<br />Rear camaro indention black, big bow tie in rear window

straight pipes, or just run headers. =)

hey, he didnt say it had to sound good or be legal. [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

Comment

My friend put straight pipes on his v6 mustang and it sounds like Sh*t. If you just heard that car with out seeing it, u think its rice. Would a free flow cat help it, or anything else. what is a good kind of headers to get and how much
      98 silver 3.8 A4, cold air induction, K&N filter<br />Flowmaster 80 series muffler, 2.5\" pipes, Trans go shift kit<br />corvette servo, Big end performance trans cooler<br />:Apperance:<br />Chrome SS wheels, 4\" cowl induction hood, SS spoiler,<br /> Tint: 36% sides, 5% rear,<br />Rear camaro indention black, big bow tie in rear window

Comment

a ryno muffler increases the sound of the v6 its pretty nice
        -3.8L<br />-K&N Air Filter<br />-Glass Pack<br />-1/8: 11.137@61.15<br />-1/4: 17.125@78.53<br />Got To Love Mud & Cars Put Together

Comment

I have a SLP CAI kit and a Flowmaster Crossflow muffler with a Magnaflow High-Flow Cat. and it sounds sweet! (All pipe sizes are stock 2.5"!)
          C. Boney<br />1997 Firebird 3.8L V6<br />---------------------<br />Modifications:<br /> <br /> SLP Cold Air Induction, Ported/Polished Throttle Body, Carsound 3\" High Flow Cat, Sweet Thunder 24\" Chambered Muffler, Removed Rear Exhaust Section, Custom Fan Switch, 35th Anniv. Silver Stripes, Old T/A-Style Silver Sail Birds

Comment

hey Cboney2000

Comment

opps sorry bout that last post, i hit enter too soon :( . any ways.
              Just curious on the cost of the magni flow cat and where did you get it from, thanks alot

Comment

if you straight pipe a v6 you will hate it
                2001 SOM Camaro SS<p>Direct flo lid---Lakewood LCAs----Edelbrock Torque Arm-----Lous Short Stick---Dynomouth 3\" Exhaust---SLP Center Mount Exhaust---Poly tranny and torque arm mounts.<p>My site....http://community.webshots.com/album/49413018hRfdbP

Comment

Cold Air Intake
                  Headers
                  High flow cat
                  -James<br /><br />\'96 3.8L A4 Camaro (SOLD)

Comment

Stock exhaust is 2 1/4. If you want a deep sounding exhaust headers and a bigger diameter I pipe are a must. The CAI will also play a part. Just basically do everything you can to the exhaust. You can get 3 inch mandrel bent piping from, I think Magnaflow, but I'm not certain on that. The only problem with getting a larger diameter I pipe is you'll lose back pressure. When you lose back pressure you lose HP. I experienced this myself when I went to a 3 inch I pipe. I don't know what engine you have, a 3.4 or 3.8 but that will make a difference as well. Don't expect to much with an 80 series flowmaster. You might want to get a 40 series, non Delta Flow. That's an other thing is your 80 series a Delta Flow? If it is then definetly change your muffler. Basically go with headers, CAI, high flow cat, and if you're still not happy with the way it sounds get a larger diameter pipe. Or just do it all at once, which is probably a better idea. An other thing to remember is it's just a V6, it will always be a V6 and it will never sound close to how an 8 can sound. So don't have too many expectations.
                    1 of a kind<p>Red 97 Camaro<p>Modifications: <br />SLP CAI, RK Sport Headers, Car Sound High Flow Cat, 3\" piping<br />3\" Steel driveshaft, SFC\'s, Panhard Rod, MAC Torque Arm<br />Manual Fan Switch<p>Best E/T:<p>60\' 2.152<br />330 6.271<br />1/8th 9.704<br />MPH 71.93

Comment

you dont really loose horsepower u just gain it in another rpm range...
                      alot of the time at upper rpms you will gain more hp which is the power curve you need it in for drag racing and shifting, because if your peak power is at 3000 rpm and you shift and it falls to 3500 or 4000 then you are out of peak power, at least this is my expierience with it...
                      when u shift and it falls back on rpms you want to be in an upper curve of your power band and not run out of power before you have to shift again
                      R.I.P \'99 Firebird, you will be missed<p>New toy - 2001 GSXR-750, Yoshimura Exhaust, Power Commander, Rebuilt Airbox

Comment

Flowmaster is probably as loud as you can get without sounding ricey.
                        But you can:
                        -Increase the size of your I-pipe. (I think 3” is to big, I would go with a 2.5” mandrel bent I-pipe)
                        -Get a high flow cat.
                        -Get headers.
                        In that order.
                        <b>LS1 RX7! </b> &#0124;&#0124; <a href=\"http://www.no-bling.com/image_galleries/index.php?action=viewgallery&gallery=galleries/eyeoutthere_LS1_FC\" target=\"_blank\">Full Gallery</a> <br /><br />LT1 Header Informtion/survey

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Posted by Jhonathan:
                          you dont really loose horsepower u just gain it in another rpm range...alot of the time at upper rpms you will gain more hp which is the power curve you need it in for drag racing and shifting, because if your peak power is at 3000 rpm and you shift and it falls to 3500 or 4000 then you are out of peak power, at least this is my expierience with it... <hr></blockquote>

In my experience there wasn't much increase in higer speeds if any at all. Infact I'm pretty sure I lost HP through just about the whole range mph. Before I changed I had an SLP CAI with RK Sport headers, high flow cat, and a flowmaster. My car chirped the tires changing from first to second game. It was pretty amazing how fast it was, almost out of control compared to before. After I put the 3 inch I pipe I lost a lot of power. Throw in the leaky header flanges, which are pretty much permenetly bent from what I can see, and my car felt almost stock. It was loud as f*ck but the power was down. I like the sound though and I know that when I go internal that the 3 inch will be good. Sometimes experience is a good teacher.
                          1 of a kind<p>Red 97 Camaro<p>Modifications: <br />SLP CAI, RK Sport Headers, Car Sound High Flow Cat, 3\" piping<br />3\" Steel driveshaft, SFC\'s, Panhard Rod, MAC Torque Arm<br />Manual Fan Switch<p>Best E/T:<p>60\' 2.152<br />330 6.271<br />1/8th 9.704<br />MPH 71.93

Comment

I have SLP CAI and 2.5" back from the cat w/ dual dual tips. Idle sounds AWESOME get alot of nice heads to turn and not cause it sounds bad. On the gas moderatley sounds like a big exhaust leak. WOT loud as hell and dont find the sound offensive and even had a CORVETTE owner coment on my "Just a v6??" while i was dynoing. My friend has a 3.8 bird w/ flowmasters and i like mine alot better it does have its flaws tho , it gets annoying to some people on the interstae but i personally like it i am gooing to try to get some sound clips this weekend so if you wait ill email them to you and you can see what you think [img]graemlins/fluffy.gif[/img]
                            AIS 2 OHH the memories... Great times and putting names with faces.<p>From \"interesting\" hooters waitress(Did you guys FLY ? ) to pissing BMW owners off on the ride home. To ending up in Philidelphia and USING (hahaha) an ice machine. I had a BLAST.<p>Thanxs to all that showed up!!

Comment

IMO flowmasters just gurdle real loud [img]tongue.gif[/img] if your lookin for a new muffler try a Ravin from Midas. Had a salesman from the pontiac dealership ask me if it was a formula ( sounds like a trans am, just doesnt look like one.) i think ravins sound a lot better than flowmasters, but i haven't had any experiences with other mufflers, at least not on V6s. 2¢

[img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
                              ~Derrick <a href=\"http://www.appstate.edu/~do54457/\" target=\"_blank\"><i>My Webpage</i></a><br /><b>\'96 3.8L V6 M5 Firebird Y87</b> | <b>162.8 RWHP</b> / <b>196.7 RWTQ</b> <br /><b>•</b> SLP CAI <b>•</b> <a href=\"http://tech.firebirdv6.com/y87.html\" target=\"_blank\"><b>Y87</b> Package</a> - 3.23s <b>•</b> 180º thermo w/ fan switch <b>•</b> TB spacer from DEE<br />1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X