Free Ram Air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Ram Air

Have any of you guys had problems with CAI? I heard they take in water and can really mess up your engine, is this true? if so, how does the SS drive in the rain? Does it have a switch or something that closes the hole in the hood? [img]graemlins/omg.gif[/img]
    2001 3.8l<br />Monsoon 500 watt<br />Automatic tranny<br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/1hotv6\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/1hotv6</a>

I did the free ram air mod back in late summer of 2001. I've had no problem with water getting up into my engine. I've driven through a lot of bad rain storms and still no problem with water going up into the motor. The only real way I would think you would have a chance of water going up into the engine is if you went through a huge puddle of water about 3 or 4 inchs deep and you where going above 20 or 25(not proven just guessing now.) ;) In the case that it does start raining really bad, I usually slow down a few mph to be on the safe side. You never know where a nice size puddle of water is going to be at. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Although, as I said at the beginning, I've had no problems and I've been on the interstate going 75 and hit places where water stands(i'm guessing no more that 1/2 inch to an inch deep) and it be raining bad and I've never had water go up into my engine, and from the times I've checked, water has never made it up into my intake.

2000 V6 Camaro(bought brand new)
    5 speed
    Project: Unreal
    Will give details when fin.
    5 speed
    Several Mods..:naughty:plus Nitrous=WEEeee:banana:

2007 Suzuki GS500F :D

Daily driver
    2007 Chevy Aveo 5
    Mods K&N air filter:excited:
    www.guardiansworlds.com

Comment

Cool, thanks for the info. I got another one, did you buy an aftermarket lid, snap the ribs off the stock one, or leave it alone? Did you notice any significant horsepower gains? How much? [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
      2001 3.8l<br />Monsoon 500 watt<br />Automatic tranny<br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/1hotv6\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/1hotv6</a>

Comment

I shaved the ribs off of the stock lid. I figure there is no way I was going to pay around $129 for a after market lid when shaving the ribs off the stock one would be right about the same. Also, you will want to take off the big air silencer that is right after the lid. You can replace it with a 3" pvc pipe. I got mine from Lowe's. I would suggest the black pvc pipe(looks better than white). As for HP gains I can not give a exact amount since I did not have my car placed on a dyno. I can however say that when I first did the free ram air mode. The only upgrades I had was K&N air filter, dynomax exhuast with duals, and a stage 2 Jet chip. Also, I did not have the ribs shaved out of the lid and I had not replaced the air silencer with pvc. With this I hit 15.7 in the 1/4 mile. I was hitting at best 16 flat with the K&N air filter, dynomax exhaust, and stage 2 jet chip. So with only doing the free ram air mode I gained .3 in the 1/4 mile and that was without doing the shaved ribs in the lid and the pvc to replace the air silencer. Also, I live and drag in a high elevation. So my times are a little slower thatn someone that leaves at a lower elevation. Since then I've done several updates but, the drags here do not open up again until the last week of March(not much longer left) :D Need any other help just let me know. ;)

5 speed
        Will give details when fin.
        5 speed
        Several Mods..:naughty:plus Nitrous=WEEeee:banana:

2007 Suzuki GS500F :D

Daily driver
        2007 Chevy Aveo 5
        Mods K&N air filter:excited:
        www.guardiansworlds.com

Comment

Thanks for your help.

Comment

About that whole water in the cai thing. I don't see how that could really be a problem, unless you are running without a filter or have a jimmy rigged cai.
            231 (3.8L to those of you who don\'t like cubic inches) Silver Camaro<br />80 series flowmaster<br />k&n air filter<p>\"if it is good enough for the general, then it is good enough for me\"

Comment

just my $.02... i snapped off the baffles in my stock lid, 'n didn't notice too much difference. everyone that i talked to HIGHLY recommended an aftermarket lid. i bought one used (9 out of 10 times, you'll find one for cheap used on either this board or ls1.com or something). after installing... HUGE difference in sound and power... WELL worth the $80 i spent on a perfectly good, used whisper lid. i also have free ram air, and am looking at getting the fast toys ram air kit soon... again, i've heard the FTRA was a BIG improvement over just the FRA. again, just my $.02. hope this helps.

neil O.
              1999 Pontiac Firebird W68 Ram Air<br />3800 Series II V6 A4<p>Appearance: <br />Black, Ram Air Hood, Ground Effects, T-Tops, Silver Decals by Firebat, <br />Stock 16\" Chrome 5-Star Wheels, Chrome WS6 Dual Exhaust Tips<p>Performance:<br />Yank Super Thruster 3500 Torque Converter, 3.42 gears w/ OEM Zexel Torsen LSD, Jet Stage II chip, 180* Thermostat, B&M Transmission Cooler, Whisper Lid, K&N, Free Ram Air, 1/2\" Raised Airbox, Custom 2.5\" Catback Exhaust w/ Flowmaster 80 Series Muffler, Nitto 555R Drag Radials (back), Goodyear Eagle GSC 245/50ZR16 (front)

Comment

I wonder if it has something to do with the outlet on the whisper lids being almost as large as the inlet on the throttle body?
                <b>1998 Firebird 3800 Series II, A4</b><br />Direct-Flo Lid,K&N Filter,DEE TB Spacer,TPS-TEC,ZZP Mini-AFC,Raised and Cutout Airbox 7mm,BMR STB & Boxed LCAs,KYB AGX Shocks,Drilled/Slotted Rotors,180* Thermo,2.5\" Catco Cat,Dynomax 2.75\" custom catback,Kumho Ecstas/245,Jet Stage 2,3.42,Edge Racing 2870 Stall,B&M Tranny Cooler,B&M Deep Tranny Pan,LSD,AAM Girdle,1LE DS,NX Wet Kit,MSD DIS-4,MSD Blaster Coil Packs,Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires,NGK TR6\'S gapped .045,ZZP UD WP Pulley,SLP Fan Switch,TT II\'s<br />N/A: 15.6342 @ 88.44 (On stock converter. Strugglin\' to beat it.)<br />Nitrous 50 Shot: 14.7463 @ 93.49

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 1htv6:
                  Have any of you guys had problems with CAI? I heard they take in water and can really mess up your engine, is this true? if so, how does the SS drive in the rain? Does it have a switch or something that closes the hole in the hood? [img]graemlins/omg.gif[/img] <hr></blockquote>

Well, I did my Free Ram Air mod back in the summer of 2000 and I've always worried about it whenever I drive in the rain. When you are on the freeway you are driving at a high rate of speed. All the tires on the freeways are creating a constant mist that is "Ramming" it's way up the radiator and air filter. One rainy night after driving ~20 miles on the freeway I exited and pulled into a gas station. I immediately popped the hood and unclamped the Whisper Lid. Guess what? The filter was damp and there was some water around the lower box area. From then on, I've kept the FRA taped up with masking tape. I will keep that tape on until sunny skies show up again.
                  [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
                  1999 Pewter Camaro M5<br />Y87 Performance Package, Sport Appearance Package, Diamond Clears<br />Factory SS Hood, Free Ram Air Mod, Whisper Lid w/ K&N Air Filter<br />CarSound Cat 94009, B&B Tri-Flo w/ Quad Tips<br />BMR SFC, BMR STB, KVR Blank Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads<br />Black Painted Calipers w/ CAMARO Decal, 245/50 Dunlop SP Sport 5000<br />20% Rear 35% Side Tint, Red Reflective Inlays, Invincishield<br /><b>Young girls avert their eyes, weak men tremble, Ford dealers faint.</b>

Comment

This is gonna sound stupid but we all gotta ask at some time or another. What exactlly is a whisper lid, how much does it cost, where do you get one, and what are the benefits? sorry for being so ignorent
                    95 3.4 A4<br />Quasar Blue<br />Flowmaster 80 series<br />K&N Intake<br />5% Limo Tint all the way around<br />Blackouts on the rear and front turn signals<br />RF Head Unit<br />1 12\' RF sub JL 500/1 Amp

Comment

The whisper lid is an aftermarket lid that replaces the stock lid on 98+ cars. It increases hp a little and deepens your exhaust tone.
                      <b>99 Camaro Z28 A4</b><br />R.I.P. 00 Firebird 3.8<br />14.89 @ 90, 2.03 60\'

Comment

i had the fra on my old car and had no problems with it ever being damp, i also have the whisperer lid, and its great. they worked great together. i haven't done it to my new car b-cuz of the whole water thing but what you might consider is to raise the airbox with a couple washers thats what i did and it makes the opening about as high as the stock ramair lid. and askidracer, same thing shortdog273 said and www.thunderracing.com use with k&n filter = great stuff. good luck. oh yeah and another thing about fra you gotta cut up you car and im not about to start cuttin on my new one, just a thought.

merlin
                        2002 Firebird<br />2003 Yamaha YZF 600R

Comment

I have also done the fra and ghetto whisper lid. I haven't had any problems what so ever with rain but then again I haven't drove in much rain since I did this mod. I was wondering what the difference between pulling off the fins and getting a real lid are. I've heard some are raised so theres more room between the filter and lid and someone here just mentioned the outlet size. What are your opinions of whether or not the lid is worth the money. I did the lid and fra at the same time so I don't know what was from which but I noticed a difference in power and sound, I love the little whistle/gurgle it has now.

Raising the lid with washers: I've read about this and heard about it but never really thought it would do much, anyone know any different?

Silencer: I have a 98 so my freakin TB is angled down, anyone have any ideas on how to remove the stupid silencer? I heard someone used dryer duct but I would prefer something else. Might just buy a bunch of pvc elbows & fittings and see what happens.

Stupid styrofoam: Does anyone know how to remove the styrofoam behind the grille? It looks dumb and I would like to try the other ram air also that I saw on LS1.com but they don't mention how to take it out.

If you can't notice free is my favorite word and these are a couple things that have been bothering the hell out of me. I hope someone has answers
                          1998 Red RS 3.8l A4<br /> Whisper - K&N - N20 - 1LE Panhard - Ghetto STB - 255/50ZR16 Ecsta<br /> Removed grille - Limo tint - blackouts - A-pillar cf a/f ratio<br /> Panasonic DF88 - 1 12\" Eclipse 88120.4 - Eclipse 3322 amp<p><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/raven_rs\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/raven_rs</a>

Comment

TTT

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X