Whisper Lid and Ram Air Induction... - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whisper Lid and Ram Air Induction...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whisper Lid and Ram Air Induction...

Okay, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not very smart with engines. I'm looking into a Whisper Lid and Whisper R-A Induction, since I've seen so many people that have the Whisper Lid mod listed. I guess my question is, is it going to truly be worth my money to invest in it, or would I just be spending the money to list a couple of nice mods under my signature? Thanks for any opinions...
    \'98 Firebird Convertible V6

Well, IMHO a lid is not worth is, as you can do a custom one yourself for free. The fins on the underside of the lid... just take a pair of pliars and pull them all off, and sand it down. Bingo, a whisper lid. Also, take out the air silencer (the big plastic baffle in between the lid and the throttle body). It's simple, just pry off the metal clamps, go to home depot, buy some new metal hose clamps (since the ones you pried off can't be re-done), and some 3" PVC pipe. Stick the PVC in place of the air silencer. Also, there's free ram air. It's a little more difficult to explain, so here's a link on how to do it.

I'm sure in a bit there will be replies to this post saying it's a much better investment to spend over $200 on a retail whisper lid and ram air kit. I could never justify spending that much money on something you can do for free. They'll argue that the retail products give better performance... well, look at their 1/4th mile times compared to mine, and look at how many mods they have. Half the people who argue the retail ones are better have more mods then me, and a slower 1/4th. I've invested a total of $80 (my flowmaster muffler) into my car performance wise, which put me into the 14's.

So decide to yourself whether it's worth the money to pay for the whisper lid and ram air... :D :D [img]graemlins/toto.gif[/img]
    Kyle M<br />--------------<br /><a href=\"http://grdws6.netfirms.com\" target=\"_blank\">2002 Trans Am WS6</a> (silver, A4) - lid, cutout, stage 3 shift kit, 12 bolt, vig 3200, tranny cooler, bmr sfc/stb, torq thrust ii. <b>12.688 @ 106.47mph -=- 1.756 60\'</b>

Comment

I'm satisfied with my lid/ram air.
      Was easy to install and had noticable benefits. I'm told that once I get my new exhaust, it will be even more noticable.

I went with buying everything because I like how to lid looks. Also, I'm pretty lazy, so the extra money was worth skipping the hassle.
      \'02 3.8L, Pewter Metallic Camaro<br /> - Y87 Performance Package<br /> - T-Tops<br /> - Monsoon Audio<br /> * SLP CAI<br /> * Whisper Lid<br /> * K&N Filter

Comment

kyle is right, you can do the free stuff and be somewhat satisfied.
        on the other hand, i say i felt a world of difference when i put my lid on. and my wallet was a little lighter.
        i am having trouble with my car so i have not felt the affects of my cai just yet- i havent seen any improvement at the track with it. just under principal i would suspect it to help out, but like i said i am having trouble with my car :(
        6s.......under the hood or under the belt, they just dont cut it.

Comment

if your confident in doing it yourself, do it yourself. If not, no harm in buying the lid. [img]smile.gif[/img]

btw GrdLock, how the hell are you pulling a 14.9 time with that work done and such a good 60'. How do you launch the car etc etc etc....

Comment

I Agree with both Nino and Grlock, but we all know mods react to certain cars differently(for some odd reason). A few peeps here on this forum has jet chips, MSD, etc, but I have a better 1/4 time than they do. It all depends on the car.
            <b>99 Camaro Z28 A4</b><br />R.I.P. 00 Firebird 3.8<br />14.89 @ 90, 2.03 60\'

Comment

Well, I wouldn't consider myself much of a mechanic, so I'd definitely be buying the parts instead of doing it myself. Thank for all the feedback guys!
              \'98 Firebird Convertible V6

Comment

Kyle's running out in Texas, if I had to guess, probably at HRP. Alot of the Texas gang are running mad quick e/t's & mph w/few bolt-ons. Now if I can only get a decent 60-ft.........
                2001 Onyx Black Camaro M5-Totalled<br />2005 Ford F150 XLT 5.4L<br /><br />\"To make peace, prepare for war.\"

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Fin:
                  Kyle's running out in Texas, if I had to guess, probably at HRP. Alot of the Texas gang are running mad quick e/t's & mph w/few bolt-ons. Now if I can only get a decent 60-ft.........<hr></blockquote>

:D :D :D :D hehehe

Excuses excuses, you're just jealous ;) (j/k)

But, yeah, I launch anywhere from 2000 - 2500RPM's. That's my only secret... :rolleyes:
                  Kyle M<br />--------------<br /><a href=\"http://grdws6.netfirms.com\" target=\"_blank\">2002 Trans Am WS6</a> (silver, A4) - lid, cutout, stage 3 shift kit, 12 bolt, vig 3200, tranny cooler, bmr sfc/stb, torq thrust ii. <b>12.688 @ 106.47mph -=- 1.756 60\'</b>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by GrdLock:
                    Excuses excuses, you're just jealous ;) (j/k)

<hr></blockquote>

Hehehe, yeah, something like that. Hopefully this new Zexel-Torsen LSD will help w/some of the traction problems. Last time a 3000rpm launch on DR's netted me a 2.3 60-ft....ick!
                    2001 Onyx Black Camaro M5-Totalled<br />2005 Ford F150 XLT 5.4L<br /><br />\"To make peace, prepare for war.\"

Comment

I recently installed my whisper lid and I can say I felt a big difference. I don't think by breaking the fins and sanding the air box lid you would get the same results. The stock air lid has a small oval opening, while the whisper lid has a big round opening allowing more air to go thru. You can defenitely hear a difference when you accelerate. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
                      1999 Firebird (black)<br />Y87 package<br />Whisper lid<br />FRA<br />Raised airbox<br />K & N Filter<br />Removed MAF screen<br />180 thermostat<br />3\" catalytic converter<br />Cat-back exhaust<br />Flowmaster<br />\"Fool you can bet, that I can dance underwater and not get wet\"

Comment

I did the "PVC in place of the air silencer" thing first and then put in a whisper lid when I had saved up enough money.

The PVC pipe is definitely a noticeable performance addition and sounds MUCH better than stock. The whisper lid is better performance-wise and gives same sound as the PVC pipe.

Costs:
                        PVC pipe and clamps: less than $5
                        Whisper lid with shipping: $135

Just my $0.02.

(For South Florida readers with either one: hit the gas while going through the US 1 tunnel under the New River. It is fun to go roaring through there!)
                        I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
                        CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
                        FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Everglades W68:
                          (For South Florida readers with either one: hit the gas while going through the US 1 tunnel under the New River. It is fun to go roaring through there!)<hr></blockquote>

HELL YEA! WOOT WOOT! That place is awesome. I've hit close to 90MPH in the small tunnel. Try going through with all the V8 F-bodies...whoa damn. Especially Jon w/his cutout on the LT1. I almost went deaf. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

i have a testimony to share [img]tongue.gif[/img]
                            whisper lid vs. free whisper lid.
                            !the same.
                            notice, the whisper lid has a higher 'lid' so to say, and can flow more air. also, it has almost a 4" opening, where as the 3" pvc pipe has...well, a 3" opening. like i said i've had both mods, and there is a big difference between the free whisper lid and the whisper lid.
                            2011 Camaro LS 6M, in black.

Comment

I have a 99 bird.I converted my stock hood to ram air, by cutting holes in the cross member where the nostills are. Then I removed the air silencer, and put a 1/2 -3/4 of rubber toobing under the airbx, around the screws. It raised the box way up. Then I removed the fins in the airbox and the partition in tube part of the airbox. It works so well, this has made a huge difference. I will post pics when I have it completely finished. I am still in the proccess of sealing the holes off from the rest of the hood, seal airbox off to ram air and repaint where I chip the corners of my holes.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X