Got a citation for a modified exhaust on Thursday - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got a citation for a modified exhaust on Thursday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a citation for a modified exhaust on Thursday

I was wondering if this ever happened to you guys before, but I was driving home with some friends on Thursday, and I got pulled over by a cop on a motorcycle becaues my exhaust was too loud :( . He asked me if I just put that exhaust on today, I said no. He then gave me a fix it citation. I don't understand, I had the whole catback system on my car for 3 month now, and I was driving with a flowmaster muffler for more than a year now. I even got a speeding ticket a few month ago with my catback system, and the cops that pulled me over didn't say anthing about that.
    I had no idea that having a modified exhaust was illegal, I live in Cupertino, California, maybe the rule only apply in CA, but damn, was that cop just bored or something, I know there is not a lot of crime in my area, but serious, there has to be something better to do than pulling kids over for a modified exhaust. What do you guys think of this problem, now I have to put a stock muffler back on the car, I can't drive my car without the exhaust sound.
    2001 Red Camaro Convertible v6<br />A4<br />Mods: Flowmaster muffler, Cold Air Underhood Induction, K&N air filer, HPP III, 180 degree Powerstat, 3.73 GM gear ratio, Heavy Duty Zexel-Torsen differential, 2.75\" Trans am I-pipe, 3\" Perfection Catalytic Converter, 245/50/16 v rated Yokohama tires.<br />Best Time so far: 1/4 mile 15.18, 89.3 mph,

Damn Man, that blows.... :( [img]graemlins/thumbsdown.gif[/img]
    <b>2000 NBM Pontiac Firebird</b><br />3800GT Performance Package<br /><br />Intake, Magnaflow Cat, Flowmaster Cat-Back

Comment

Thats called a boredom ticket dude...check your local laws to see what they say about the mods.
      maybe that cop was full of **** for writing you
      up...good luck man

Comment

does it pass emissions and everything? I don't see a problem if it passes emissions, but either way thats bad news :( [img]graemlins/thumbsdown.gif[/img]

Comment

In Cali we have a law that limits the decibel level of your car's exhaust. I'm sorry you got popped for it, but it's a law that does help to keep the riceboy population under control.
          <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/edogg_127\" target=\"_blank\">1999 red 38000 Camaro</a><br />Leaking rear main seal (not really a mod though)

Comment

I watched MTV's True Life: I'm a streetracer
            nothing but imports, you know the fast and furoius type TV show. Anyway, a they showed it from the cops point of view too. And pulled over some kids street racing, and wrote him up for not having an 'emissions legal' sticker on his intake. They even measured the height of his car, to make sure it wasnt too low. So yea, I hear CA is a PITA d00d :/

Comment

I think there is a law which says that modified exhaust is illegal, but it's normally overlooked. In my town, there are even cops with modified exhaust on there off duty cars. Ya know what? If they're going to give a v6 camaro a ticket for being to loud, they better be pulling over every stinkin Harley they see cause there isn't alot of cars louder than those bikes. I like Harley's (I want one), but those things are ear deafening and they never get tickets for loud exhaust. My point is, how can they give you a ticket for modified exhaust when there are stock exhausts that are even louder.

Comment

you live in communist Calif., are you sure its not for unsafe/inproper equipment? that might be a POP ticker also(pissen off the police)
                2002 NBM Pontiac Firebird Formula<br />Mods: stock...<br />1997 Chevy Camaro *Gone*<br />Mods:Borla,headers,Magnaflow cat, SLP intake, NOS 5175

Comment

The CA law says that you can't LEGALLY modify your exhaust to be louder. Basically, stock or nothing. The cute part about it is this law does not apply to motor cycles or cars made before 1980's-ish (I think that's it). I'm becoming reluctant to get my new SLP Loudmouth now... I really want a louder exhaust though. Maybe if I got it and just kept my stock cat. I think I might do that.
                  \'96 M5 Camaro White<br />Flowmaster Full Catback<br />SLP CAI<br />180* Thermo<br /><br />Stereo: H/U - Clarion DXZ725 <br />Alipne Type-R 6.5 Components (front), <br />Alpine Alpine SPS-1629S 6.5 <br />2 10\" JL 10w0<br /><br />\"One Love\" -Bob Marley

Comment

You should be able to pay $30 and get your exhaust noise tested. Then you get out of the ticket and have proof the next time you get pulled over for it. They just passed some laws in CA to allow this. Before it was upto cops judgement if you violated the decibel limit. Bull**** if you ask me.
                    <a href=\"http://www.onid.orst.edu/~waltejam/\" target=\"_blank\">98 Bright Red Camaro</a><br />Too many mods to list....check my website

Comment

Sorry to hear about your ticket man. Yeah i heard that the cops out in CA can be real Strict on "Performance Cars". But what can u do.
                      1997 Firebird M5<br />Bright Red<br />Mods: SLP Intake, Autometer A/F Gauge, Magnaflow CatBack Exhaust, BMR STB, Cragar SS rims W/ Nittos on front and BFG drags on back <br /><br />Stock Dyno Numbers: 170hp and 210lbs TQ

Comment

i cant even imagine a V6 camaro exhaust being loud.
                        6s.......under the hood or under the belt, they just dont cut it.

Comment

Good thing I live in Michigan. I'm driving without mufflers and I still havent got a ticket yet. [img]smile.gif[/img]
                          1997 Camaro Y87. Turbo.<br /><a href=\"http://pureoctaneracing.net/\" target=\"_blank\">Pure Octane Racing</a>

Comment

had a buddy of mine get a ticket like that on his z28 for the exhaust being too loud, he passed the cop and he turned around to give the ticket to him. yeah he had a catback on it and no it wasn't THAT loud... anyways it happend in FL but like the earlier post said, it is a law that helps keep the rice population under control
                            2000 Y87 Bird M5 with mods<p><a href=\"http://www.vzavenue.net/~ngeorg/\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.vzavenue.net/~ngeorg/</a>

Comment

One thing about driving with a v6 exhaust is that when you put a flowmaster catback system on it, it can be annoying and loud because the sound gets high pitch after 3000 rpms. I am going to get a v8 soon, and when hopefully I won't get bothered by the cops becaues the sound is more of a lower bass sound, and not as annoying.
                              2001 Red Camaro Convertible v6<br />A4<br />Mods: Flowmaster muffler, Cold Air Underhood Induction, K&N air filer, HPP III, 180 degree Powerstat, 3.73 GM gear ratio, Heavy Duty Zexel-Torsen differential, 2.75\" Trans am I-pipe, 3\" Perfection Catalytic Converter, 245/50/16 v rated Yokohama tires.<br />Best Time so far: 1/4 mile 15.18, 89.3 mph,

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X