MAF screen removal, very "technical" results ; ) - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MAF screen removal, very "technical" results ; )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAF screen removal, very "technical" results ; )

Well, seeing Cards numbers I decided it couldn't hurt to give it a shot and see what happens in terms of removing the screen. My main concern was that one of the funcions of the sensor is to straighten out the airflow into the MAF sensor. That would seem to be more critical in my application being that the 98 model year still has the previous year's angled throttle body. That angle makes the air bend more and I wasn't sure how the MAF would react to it.

Well, I took the screen out, started it up and everything seemed normal. Idle was fine, sounded just like it did before. Not rough at all.

So here are my "technical" results after driving it around. SOTP meter says [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] . Yeah, that isn't very reliable, but on the other hand, there was NO noticeable drop in performance. The car did seem a little quicker on the freeway and I'm pretty sure there's a bit more low end torque.

So, draw what you can from that. It doesn't appear that removing the screen was bad in anyway, so why not give it a shot? I guess if your car starts to idle like crap, put it back in and search for power elsewhere. :D

I'm also debating it. I keep hearing removing the MAF on 98+ cars don't hurt anything.
    <b>99 Camaro Z28 A4</b><br />R.I.P. 00 Firebird 3.8<br />14.89 @ 90, 2.03 60\'

Comment

Mine will remain in the glove box... [img]graemlins/fluffy.gif[/img] where it adds power.
      2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
      Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

funny thing is, when i took mine out...i put a screw driver through the center of it, moved it in circles, then put my finger through, curved it, and pulled. Its somewhere in the corner of my garage...under i pile of trash.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by camaro_zach:
          funny thing is, when i took mine out...i put a screw driver through the center of it, moved it in circles, then put my finger through, curved it, and pulled. Its somewhere in the corner of my garage...under i pile of trash.<hr></blockquote>

[img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]

I'm going to keep mine around just to know I still have it. I'm of the habit of keeping the parts I remove or replace around.

Comment

A Q for ya'll with the 98+cars. When I took out that metal ring(whatever it is), I thought the MAF screen will just pop out, but it didn't. What did ya'll do to get it out without damaging it??

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by shortdog273:
              A Q for ya'll with the 98+cars. When I took out that metal ring(whatever it is), I thought the MAF screen will just pop out, but it didn't. What did ya'll do to get it out without damaging it??<hr></blockquote>
              i kinda poked it with my finger, that angled it, then i pulled it right on out
              2011 Camaro LS 6M, in black.

Comment

A Q for ya'll with the 98+cars. When I took out that metal ring(whatever it is), I thought the MAF screen will just pop out, but it didn't. What did ya'll do to get it out without damaging it??<hr></blockquote>

I got around the edges with a thin knife and kinda slowly backed it out. Mine is still in good shape.

Comment

theres a ring around it
                  2001 SOM Camaro SS<p>Direct flo lid---Lakewood LCAs----Edelbrock Torque Arm-----Lous Short Stick---Dynomouth 3\" Exhaust---SLP Center Mount Exhaust---Poly tranny and torque arm mounts.<p>My site....http://community.webshots.com/album/49413018hRfdbP

Comment

Is it difficult putting the MAF screen back in once its taken out?

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by chevcamaro18:
                      theres a ring around it<hr></blockquote>

If you're asking, yes it is.

Comment

3 words - SWISS ARMY KNIFE

Use the "sissors" that come with it :D

I can easily pull out both the screen and the Oring using the sissors as a "plierlike" device.

Try it if you have a pair, works great!
                        2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
                        Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

Is it difficult putting the MAF screen back in once its taken out?<hr></blockquote>

Nope, just slide it and the ring that holds it back in place.

Comment

mine wont just slide in and out, lol.

www.mavness.com/maf1.jpg
                            www.mavness.com/maf2.jpg

[img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

ghetto riggin' at its best.

Comment

I dont have a 98+ but I do have a 97. I carefully stuck a pair of pliers right through the middle. I then slowly opened the pliers and began to slightly widen the crevase I had just made. Then I slipped and fell down. On the way down I tried to catch myself and in doing so my finger became lodged in the hole. Well needless to say the screen made its way into the yard next door where a pit bull was walking by. He saw the screen and quickly grabbed it and began to run away.

Kinda sad. :( I wonder what ever happened to my little screen? :(

P.S. I made that story up. I did exactly what camaro_zach did and mutilated the screen with a medium size screw driver. But I really dont know what ever happened to it.
                              Andy Adamez<br />--------------------<br />3.8L 97 V6<br />Hurst Shifter w/ Home Made Handle, Hypertech 160 Thermo, Ported MAF, 5 Point Harness for Pass & Driver, Painted Valve Covers, Nitrous Express Wet EFI Kit

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X