SLP CAI--gasket 98+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLP CAI--gasket 98+

Ok, the SLP comes with a rubber gasket that completley blocks off all air from coming in the factory inlet. They state that by blocking off that inlet it creates a vacuum and a slight supercharging effect at higher speeds. don't know, I am thinking about removing it so I can get air in from both the slp inlet and the factory inlet. I just firgure the more air the better and I really don't buy the slight supercharging effect that SLP claims. I could be wrong and that is why I am asking---What has everyone else done? Leave the gasket in or out?
    2002 Pontiac Firebird<br />Sunset Orange<br />A-4,Y87,W68<br />Whisper Lid,SLP CAI,SLP STB<br />Holley Powershot<br />Y87 V6 Decal under right tailight<br />**********<br />1978 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350<br />A-3<br />2.41 rear....can you believe that?<br />Not as fast of the V6 simply becuase of that rear.

You want the greatest pressure possible at the intake/filter. That's the best situation to maximize flow. If they say that placing the plate creates a vacumm at the filter that would mean an area of low pressure, which would be counter productive, I think. I must be misunderstanding what the instructions state :(

[ February 22, 2002: Message edited by: Backfire ]</p>

Comment

Ok maybe the word "vacuum" wasn't used. But they say that it creates a slight supercharging effect when the air box is completley sealed-off (save for the SLP opening obviuosly). I don't know..when I did the free-air mod my exhaust tone changed nicely. When I installed the SLP CAI the tone diminished somewhat. Better then stock but still not as much of a growling sound as with just the free-air mod. Just wondering if I remove that gasket if the exhaust would get deeper sounding agian, but then again i dont want to degrade performance. I guess I will just take it out and see how it goes. Still debating about removing the MAF screen though.
      2002 Pontiac Firebird<br />Sunset Orange<br />A-4,Y87,W68<br />Whisper Lid,SLP CAI,SLP STB<br />Holley Powershot<br />Y87 V6 Decal under right tailight<br />**********<br />1978 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350<br />A-3<br />2.41 rear....can you believe that?<br />Not as fast of the V6 simply becuase of that rear.

Comment

I don't think the rubber gasket totally blocks off the stock air intake area. the gasket does go over the slp stainless steel plate but not in the front of it which is where the stock air is incoming. as I recall the sides and rear is where the placement of the gasket goes.
        PS Do U like the Sunset Orange color???
        I sure do.
        &gt;&gt;OH 1 FIREBIRD SunsetOrangeMetalic<br />Not at All Stock

Comment

On my kit there was also a weatherstrip that blocks off the factory inlet. I think it about 12inches long by about and inch or 2 high. I am removing the gasket in a little while. The color is great. I am from Long Island and I have only seen one other one in the same color. So they are pretty rare. I am trying to get some info on production #'s, but i can only seem to find it for the Camaro.

[ February 23, 2002: Message edited by: Sunset2002 ]</p>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X