possible solution for leaky RKSport headers... - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

possible solution for leaky RKSport headers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possible solution for leaky RKSport headers...

Well, everyone knows that RKSport headers are notorious for blowing the gaskets from the collectors to the y-pipe. Some options have been:
    cut off current flanges, and weld on thicker ones
    weld the current flanges together

The first option costs more money, and they second option makes it very difficult if you ever have to remove them.

So after 5 pairs of gaskets and many headaches later, I think I've found a solution. Get 4 gaskets w/ metal rings from Napa, pn 31307. It costs $11.xx for the 4 of them. Get Hi-temp silicone in a tube. Sandwich 2 gaskets for each side, w/ a good bead of silicone between them, and press hard. Then put a good size bead on the upper and lower side of the "sandwich", and sandwich it between the collector and the y-pipe. Let it cure for at least 6-8 hours, preferable overnight.
    I did this last sat, and I still have no leaks. It's nice to step on the gas and not hear a hissing sound. Hope this helps
    Royce
    GM 3800 PowerPak guinea pig<p>\"what cam, that\'s just a nasty mis-fire...\"

I welded mine to the y-pipe last February when they were first installed and 4,000 miles no leaks. I even had a new engine put in (not my choice :mad: )and they werent a pain to get out of the car.
    1996 Camaro 3.8L A4<br />*RK Sport Headers, RT High Flow Cat, B&B Tri-Flo Catback w/Quad Tips<br />*17\" Camaro SS Rims w/Firestone Firehawk SZ50 EP (275/40/17 Front, 285/40/17 Rear)<br />*SLP Speedometer Recalibrator<br />*American Sports Car SS Style Hood, Painted Green Disc Calipers and Drum Shells<br />*Charcoal Leather Interior

Comment

If its just the gaskets that are blown couldn't you replace them with a gasket made of copper that won't blow out nearly as easily?

Comment

I had new flanges welded with a good metal gasket. Its been 3 years and no problems yet.

Comment

i had mine welded at the y pipe for 2 yrs. and no leaks. and i've had my tranny rebuilt after that and no problem dealing w/ them. i just got in their and smacked 'em around a little bit and they got outta my way. ;)
          96 wht. firebird 5sd. rk sport headers,3in.catco, spintech catback,CAI,FRA,3.42/lsd 180*t-stat, centerforce dual friction clutch, ls1 driveshaft, polyurethane trans. mount.<br />01 blk. z28 m6, borla exht, lid, k<br />+n, sfc., chrome 18in. y2k c5 wheels.

Comment

HD aluminum foil? What?

Dang, once I switched to felpro gaskets and changed the bolts and nuts I didn't have any problems.

[ May 24, 2002: Message edited by: Seppo Kaitainen ]</p>
            Keith - 99 'maro - White M5 - bumpstick and boltons - 13.65 @ 101 N/A
            "I ain't too big to listen to the rumors, I'm just too @#$% big to pay attention to them" - Dr. Dre
            http://seppo.hopto.org/

Comment

I tried that double gasket and with silincone and what actully happend is when i stalled it up at the track and launched really hard 3 out of the 4 y-pipe bolts broke in half because of too much strain so next day after driving home with open headers I got them welded and has been fine for about a year but now I can hear a leak somewhere gonna check it out tonight
              <b><a href=\"http://www.sick-sixx.com\" target=\"_blank\">SICK-SIXX MEMBER</a></b><br />NA 14.345 with a 1.863 60 foot<br />Nitrous 13.03@99.5 with a 1.63 60 foot<br /><br />2000 Camaro 3.8L A4: USE TO HAVE Comp Cam 210/220 .535/.547 113lsa 111 I/C, Port and Polished Heads, NX Wet Kit 100 Shot, CPRA made by CP, RK Sport Headers

Comment

ricecooker... I thought you were having to sell your car or something like that?? anyway I have thought about this.. if I were to ever get them I'd just get new flanges welded on.. but that's just me and exhaust shops around here do good work cheap..
                -Brad
                98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
                2000 V-Star Custom 1100
                If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
                :rock:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X