whoo-hooo!!!! its quiet again!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whoo-hooo!!!! its quiet again!!!!!

well, for those of you familiar with my struggle... i found an exhaust shop with a stock Y87 muffler and had them hang it back on in place of my flow-80. and I LOVE IT!!!!! no more shaking the neighborhood driving by (especially cold). no more damn loud exhaust. just a 6-banger that hangs right with the v-8's and does it much more quietly.... they can barely hear me whisping by [img]smile.gif[/img]

don't get me wrong... i know a lot of you guys love it loud... i'm getting old and i like to listen to my pink floyd at a reasonable decibel level going down the road...
    no noticable power loss/gains at any rpm either... logging with autoxray since i reset pcm, all looks good.... peak MAF under WOT accel is just slightly higher. other than that it all looks about the same... damn -7's in the long term trim but i'm working on that...

it is so excellent that i can floor it out of my driveway at 3 AM and my neighbors wont wake up anymore, cursing my name.... [img]smile.gif[/img] :D so happy.
    ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

I went the same route as you a couple of years ago, a Flowmaster 80 to Y87 exhaust. The Y87 doesn't sound bad at all. My girlfriend has a '97 3.8 with the stock single outlet muffler, and my car sounds like a V8 compared to her's. There was no change in power or acceleration after the change either, just a lot quieter.
    Pewter 2002 Z28 M6<br />Black \'98 Camaro 3.8 M5 (Gone)<br />Silver \'97 Camaro Conv. 3.8 A4 (Girlfriend\'s)

Comment

Man, the other day just for the hell of it I put my cutout cap back on just to see what my flowmasters by themselves used to sound like. Damn, compared to my cutout, my flows were quiet as hell, I could barely hear em! Probably because my ears were so used to the cutout, but still. Lol.
      Kyle M<br />--------------<br /><a href=\"http://grdws6.netfirms.com\" target=\"_blank\">2002 Trans Am WS6</a> (silver, A4) - lid, cutout, stage 3 shift kit, 12 bolt, vig 3200, tranny cooler, bmr sfc/stb, torq thrust ii. <b>12.688 @ 106.47mph -=- 1.756 60\'</b>

Comment

Hey guys I have a question for you all. I want to get rid of my single outlet muffler and want to get something that wouldn't really hurt the performance, have duel outlets, and be a little better sounding while still being relatively quiet. I heard an exhaust system on a Y87 car and liked it a lot! Now my question is if I got a Y87 muffler do you all feel this would be free enough flowing for my car this way I might get some kind of a gain? I really don't care for the way 6cyl. sound with aftermarket exhaust systems on them. At idle they sound AWESOME just like an 8cyl. but at high RPM they just really turn me off to aftermarket systems. No offense to anyone that has an aftermarket system or likes that sound I'm just more of a V-8 guy. I've gotten to used to the way my 502ci in my '69 Camaro sounds. [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
        <a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Street/6330/VicCamaro.html\" target=\"_blank\"><b>*1997 Silver Camaro A4/3.08*</b></a><br /><b>Best 1/4</b>(December 17, 2003)<br />Race weight: 3580lbs w/driver <br />RT: .396 1/4: 14.93 60\': 2.08 MPH: 89.73<br /><b>Mods</b><br />&gt;Flowmaster 80 muffler (muffler only) &gt;Homemade cold air with K&N 1000cfm cone filter &gt;Trans-go Shift Kit &gt;2400-2600 TCI converter<p><b>*1969 Camaro SS*</b><br />*502ci (92-octane pump gas)<br />*2-speed powerglide<br /><b>Best 1/4:</b>1.34 60ft 9.78@138.12mph (Aug 16, 2003)

Comment

y87 muffler, or any muffler for that matter, is not going to give you any performance gains worth bragging about. those that claim otherwise are either lying or trying to sell you a muffler.

get the y87 oem muffler. i think it is exactly what you're looking for. plus they're cheap. i got the muffler with stock tips still on it installed for like $50. granted, i let them keep the flowmaster and my old tips that they will probably make money on but still, $50 is awesome when you look at the prices some of these guys are paying for performance exhaust.
          ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

Ive been thinkin about going to a stock Z28 exhaust (i have a flow 40). sicne i already have the Z28 i pipe, i shouldn't lose much by going to a Z28 muffler, shoudl i?
            2011 Camaro LS 6M, in black.

Comment

nah... i've come to the conclusion that a muffler just doesn't make all that much difference in performance. it gives the effect of "performance" by changing the sound, but i have really never seen much difference either better or worse in performance.

now a 3 inch system with a gutted cat is a different story... that's where you will start noticing low-end torque loss.

Comment

where would u get a Y87 muffler? Is it similar to the take off mufflers that they sell at SLP.com
                Its not a Camaro, Its a FIREBIRD!!!!

Comment

I feel ya strange_trp. I'm putting mine back to the stock dual outlet catback today and it should be nice to be able to hold a conversation in the car without having to raise your voice. [img]smile.gif[/img] The GMMG does have that effect with the headers. :D

Scott

Comment

I think that alot of these folks that claim the see or feel a diference in just a muffler swap are fooling them selves or exagerating. I've been a flowmaster guy for a long time but have never felt any signifigance from just that. Any performace book or magazine will tell you, that to take full advantage of any exhaust and intake parts you should install them all together to see to most gain, since they work with one another.
                    What would be nice now would be to find a muffler that was an intermediate between the Y87 muffler and say a 80 series. Something that is stil "BEEFY" and doesn't make you sound like your pouring long grain rice in the tank. I guess I'll have to dump more money into these lesser used companies to find one.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                      New Owner!
                      by LETZRIDE
                      I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                      2 days ago
                    • ssms5411
                      Little work today
                      by ssms5411
                      Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                      2 weeks ago
                    • LETZRIDE
                      Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                      by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                      Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                      By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                      Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                      02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X