Rattling Catalytic Converter--- Anyone else have this problem? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rattling Catalytic Converter--- Anyone else have this problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rattling Catalytic Converter--- Anyone else have this problem?

I just turned over 70,000 and my cat has begun to rattle when I am at idle. Some people have told me that they had this problem but it was because the cover was loose. I had my car running today and I listened for the noise from right next to the cat and it sounded like it was coming from inside of it. Any ideas on how to make a quick fix of this or should I just go out and buy a new cat?
    1993 3.4 <br />Borla rear section<br />3 inch Catco High Flow Cat<br />2.75 inch I pipe (Picked one up from an LT-1 guy for a whole $10)<br />K&N Fipk <br />180° T-stat<br />Jet Stage II<br />10 Spoke Z28 Wheels<br />NGK\'s, Taylor Spiros<br />Mobil 1 synthetic<p>Email Viper2@chesnet.net for 4th gen replacement parts.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Original 4th Gen V6:
    Some people have told me that they had this problem but it was because the cover was loose. <hr></blockquote>

I had that problem w/ my heat sheild banging against the cat, so i just took it off & problem fixed.

But since you have 50k+ miles, might as well replace it anyway. You can get a catco from summit for like $60.
    <a href=\"http://groups.msn.com/WhoisNightRider/bluethunder.msnw\" target=\"_blank\">2002 Electron Blue Corvette Coupe</a><br /><i>13.083@108.23</i><br /><br /><a href=\"http://groups.msn.com/WhoisNightRider/redfire.msnw\" target=\"_blank\">2002 Metallic Red Grandprix GTP</a> <b>SOLD</b><br /><i>14.49@94.42 (Bone stock)</i><br /><br />2002 Black Convertible Camaro Z28<br /><i>times comming real soon!</i>

Comment

my cat went bad at 70k too. i replaced it with a catco from summit which the cheapest 1 they had was $120. it was worth the money
      94 3.4L A4 white t-tops<br />moroso cai<br />3\"hi-flow pacestter exhaust<br />b&m shift kit<br />catco cat<br />01 T/A rear w/ 3.73\'s and posi<br />1 pc aluminum ds<br />blacked out signals

Comment

Mine started to rattle right before it colgged up completely. If you start to lose power thats what it is. Probably want to go adead and replace it. I had a new one put on for $100 somewhere in NC when it went out completely. Pedal floored on the interstate and all it did was slow down.

Comment

Mine rattled even tho the shield was tight....I fixed it when I replaced the cat with a high flow exhaust system (CatCo cat and a 00SS exhaust).
          Joel<br />God is my copilot, but Satan has his foot on the gas!<br />94 3.4L AutoCamaroRagtop w/MSD ignition,Accelcoilpacks,K&N FIPK,BMR SFC&STB,3\"Catco w/3\"catbackSS muffler,JetStage 2,HomemadePIAAheadlightconversion <a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/cardiac1968\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.geocities.com/cardiac1968</a>

Comment

If it sounds like it's coming from inside, the honeycomb up in there is probably kaputnik. It breaks apart and sounds like someone shaking a can full of gall stones in your ear (don't ask why I know this sound...)Fork out the bucks for a new one and be a happy camper. :mad:

Comment

I had the same problem and knew that it wasnt the heat shield, so figured i was gonna have to fork over the dough for a new cat. Would have given me a good reason to get a better one and switch out the exhaust system with it, but I didnt and still dont have the money. It turned out the clamp between the cat and the intermediate pipe to the muffler had rusted thru and was what was causing it to rattle. I took it to the local muffler shop and they fixed it for like 10 bucks, with no more power loss or rattle. Id check that out first, cause it could save you a lot of money. Hope this helps
              1994 3.4L 5-speed V6<br />flowmaster 80 series<br />Jet Chip Stage II<br />160 Degree Thermostat<br />free ram air mod<p><br />DO NOT PATRONIZE COORPORATE GREED!!!!!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X