K&N Filter Vs. Foam Filter, which one is the best? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

K&N Filter Vs. Foam Filter, which one is the best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K&N Filter Vs. Foam Filter, which one is the best?

I was at Tyler Galleria in Riverside doing my last minute Christmas shopping last week. I ordered a K&N for the 89 bird at this shop that caters mostly to imports. This salesman came up to me and told me that Foam filters are way better than K&N and that most ricers have switch to them and have found them to be better. It's also better at cathing dirt...Etc...etc.

The guy told me that he himself had a switch and dynoed his 4 banger and the dyno came up better with foam. It makes me wonder though if that claim is true. I know on the box, K&N claims to be superior than foam. But still, I wonder.

Oh well it still didn't change my mind about it and I went ahead and ordered my K&N.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

I out in a holly power shot and have seen both better fuel milage and better throttle response. That guy was full of ****.
    2002 Silver Firebird M5<br />T-Tops, Whisper Lid, Flow Master 80 series w/ 3\" stainless tips, Holly Powershot filter, B&M Ripper shifter with Leather SLP shift knob, Eurolight conversion kit for headlights. Mods soon to come<br />Raptor style ram air hood, intake kit.<p>my car <a href=\"http://www.systemsam.net/firebird/image003.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">www.systemsam.net/firebird/image003.jpg</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.systemsam.net/firebird/image008.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">www.systemsam.net/firebird/image008.jpg</a>

Comment

Bs...

Foam is very very restrictive... They are good for very small applications where making a paper/cotton filter and gasket just isn't economical. Like weed wackers, some lawnmowers (though the better ones have paper), etc.

K&N is a cotton filter, like the holley powershot, and will flow a lot more air. A foam filter might be better at catching small particles than paper -- probably no better than k&n.

I bet, just maybe, they have foam filters that they didn't cover in oil (not motor oil, but like the k&n oil). If they were thin enough, they could flow more, but wouldn't filter out much.
      2001 75th Anniversary V6 Pewter Firebird w/ Chrome Wheels, T-Tops, & Y87<br />Mods: Free Ram Air, !Silencer, Holley Filter, Full 3\" Hooker Catback, 3\" Cat<br />Best time: 15.095 at 90.00 MPH with a 2.127 60\'

Comment

Get a K&N or Holley.

[ December 29, 2001: Message edited by: FirebirdGT ]</p>
        Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

never trust a ricer :D

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
          Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

never trust a ricer :D

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
            Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X