rookie here, advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rookie here, advice needed

hey everybody.. just bought my 2000 Camaro 3800 A4 about a month ago and decided it was too plain, that i wanted to make it stand out from the croud if ya know what i mean.. so that means modding it..

So for the past week or so i've been doing research online, checking out v6 fbody mod sites.. different distributers etc.. and i have come to the point whare i want to start spending the money..heh

ok, so from my research i gathered the best things to do first are the intake and exhaust, so thats where i want to start.

i was thinking an SLP CAI kit would wrok fine, this is the one i found
    http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...RTNUMBER=21047

i figured i'd get the "Flowpac" cause ultimately i'd save money and get all those things at once would save shipping costs too..heh

one question though, that CAI kit looks a lot different that the CAI kit for the 95-97 model

the CAI package for 1998-2002:
    http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...RTNUMBER=21033

the CAI package for 1995-1997
    http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...RTNUMBER=21013

i was just wondering why they look completely different.. one has this box type thing and the other a hose/tube..

ok, so i'm going to get the Cold-Air Package, 2000-02 V8 Camaro/Firebird "FlowPac" (21047) for 300 bucks..

now for the exhaust.. this one has been a tougher decistion.. should i go with the SLP or Flowmaster exhausts.. thats where you come in, which is better? i've heard/read good things about both.. its a touch choice..

should i just go cat back? should i get a high-flow cat too? should i go all the way and get new headers?

ok, after i've installed the new intake/exhaust do i need to tune up the computer to accomidate for the change in air flow? or does it do that automatically..

any links etc to help me out would be great.. thanks in advance

[ September 28, 2003: Message edited by: Thontor ]

[ September 28, 2003: Message edited by: Thontor ]</p>
    2000 Flame Red Camaro T-Top, 3800 Series II V6, A4<br />Whisper Air lid, K&N Filter, Flowmaster American Thunder Catback<br />Acquired but not installed: Wings West \"W\" Type 4pc Ground Effects Kit

I would argue you would make the same amount of gains with just the Lid and a K&N. That little metal ducting, doesn't seem like it is going to make a huge difference. Raise the lid, or do the FRA, and save yourself some money.

As for Exhuast, it really depends what your goal, is. Do you want to build a setup that is going to put you at the tops of the Power Adder timeslips page, or do just want a mean sound for your daily driver.

You could go a extreme as Dominics True Dual, or as simple as my Dynomax muffler and some tips.
    Cardomain

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by PewterBird:
      I would argue you would make the same amount of gains with just the Lid and a K&N. That little metal ducting, doesn't seem like it is going to make a huge difference. Raise the lid, or do the FRA, and save yourself some money.<hr></blockquote>

thanks for your advice.. an extra hundred bucks for that cold air induction package (the little metal ducting) will give me 10 extra hp according to the description.. anyway i see lots of people getting CAI packages more than just a lid and a filter..

that doesnt answer my question as to why the CAI looks so different from the 95-97 to the 98-02..

As for Exhuast, it really depends what your goal, is. Do you want to build a setup that is going to put you at the tops of the Power Adder timeslips page, or do just want a mean sound for your daily driver.

You could go a extreme as Dominics True Dual, or as simple as my Dynomax muffler and some tips.
      <hr></blockquote>

i'm not looking for record breaking performance.. i'm more interested in the sound and look of a dual catback exhaust system

i'm definately not hardcore, i dont plan to bring this thing to the drag strip every week or anything.. i just want to start out with the basics

so for now, a cat-back exhaust system would be good.. most important things being sound, looks, and cost, and durability.. not necessarily performance or weight.. now most people i've seen either have the SLP or Flowmaster cat back systems.. but i'm not sure which would better suit my needs, if it matters at all.. thats why i was asking people who actually have had experience with one or the other or both..
      2000 Flame Red Camaro T-Top, 3800 Series II V6, A4<br />Whisper Air lid, K&N Filter, Flowmaster American Thunder Catback<br />Acquired but not installed: Wings West \"W\" Type 4pc Ground Effects Kit

Comment

I just put in my SLP CAI yesterday and I like it. Most likely going to get a Whisper lid soon and work on the exhaust after wintertime... I hate my stock exhaust.

I wanted to get a CAI that was a cone filter on the end of a tube but they dont fit 98+... cept for the Volant ones which are basically stuffing 2 cones in the area our air filters go (i think its near 300 bucks though). I figured to go with the SLP one cause the opening is basically farther away from your engine in front of the radiator instead of having 2 cones sitting closer to the engine sucking air into.

As for exhaust... just keep shopping around. I really dont know how i am going to pick one-- i guess whatever brand name I like most or something since they are similar in ways. I know i dont want SLP loudmouth cause I am afraid its going to be too loud for me.
        <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/maleet\" target=\"_blank\">1998 Silver Firebird</a> <br />Basic mods... nothing real special but it sure looks good!<br /><a href=\"http://www.maleetpobanz.com\" target=\"_blank\">maleetpobanz.com</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Thontor:

one question though, that CAI kit looks a lot different that the CAI kit for the

the CAI package for 1998-2002:
          http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...RTNUMBER=21033

the CAI package for 1995-1997
          http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...RTNUMBER=21013

i was just wondering why they look completely different.. one has this box type thing and the other a hose/tube..

<hr></blockquote>

They reason they are different is because the engine bays are different between the 98 + and the 97 and earlier. It has something to do with the new front end and hood on the newer bodies.

The CAI for the pre 98 goes behind the headlight on the drivers side, there is just no room for it on the 98+
          Cardomain

Comment

Look into American Thunder Cat-Back by flowmaster. I have heard good things about it.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by DaRock:
              Look into American Thunder Cat-Back by flowmaster. I have heard good things about it.<hr></blockquote>

so have i, but i have also heard good things about the SLP loudmouth setup..

i'm asking people who have first hand experience.. which is better.. maybe some people who have been to meets and have seen/heard both ..

Comment

I can recommend the American Thunder catback as well, although I can't vouch one way or the other for the SLP Loudmouth. With the Flow, you're getting a real muffler as opposed to the Loudmouth, which is a resonator. The Loudmouth MIGHT be a little more free-flowing, but with the 3.8 I can't guarantee that it will sound good. You really need advice from someone with a Loudmouth on that one though.

I would argue you would make the same amount of gains with just the Lid and a K&N. That little metal ducting, doesn't seem like it is going to make a huge difference. Raise the lid, or do the FRA, and save yourself some money. <hr></blockquote>

ditto.

[ September 28, 2003: Message edited by: Camarorulz ]</p>
                -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

Comment

someone pointed out a site i hadnt seen before..
                  LM Performance Camaro/Firebird V6 98-02 Induction

from what you guys are saying, the actual SLP cold air induction package wont help me much, but i should get a whisper lid and a new high flow K&N filter..

to reiterate.. you say to not get this:
                  SLP Cold Air Induction Package, 1998-02 V-6/V-8
                  or.. the Whisper version of the same thing:
                  Whisper Cold Air Induction Cold Air Induction 98-02 LS1 & 3800

but, i should get a high flow air lid:
                  Whisper Cold-Air Induction Lid, 1999-2002 3.8L V6 F-body

and a high flow air filter:
                  Air Filter, 1998-02 Camaro/Firebird K&N

someone on another site reccomended this ram-air setup
                  SSRA Super Sucker Ram Air Kit

any comments on that one?

as for exhaust..

after some thought, and reading other peoples reviews.. i decided i dont want a REALLY LOUD exhaust.. i want to be able to hear my radio hehe.. ok, so what is louder, SLP loudmouth? or FLowmaster american thunder? anybody know? ok.. so you said the loudmouth doesnt even have a real muffler, just a resonator.. whereas... the american thunder comes with a resonator AND a muffler.. so that makes me assume that the american thunder would be quieter.. but i wouldnt know

right now i'm leaning toward the flowmaster american thunder.. can i get that with dual/dual tips? hehe

one last thing.. anything need to be done with the computer to take full advantage of the higher airflow? or does it do the adjustmants automatically?

Comment

I have to modify what I said before.
                    I don't recomend the other cold air kits that just have the smaller "scoop" thing, unless it is the SupperSucker, this one goes down far enough to prove to me to be effective.
                    Get this:
                    • Hi-flow Lid
                    • K&N Filter
                    • Supper Sucker Cold Air

As Far as exhuast I would give my vote to Dynomax Super Turbo Catback. But I like the quiet mellow no drone cruzing sound, rather than the Killer Chainsaw sound.
                    Cardomain

Comment

I got Flowmaster exhaust and a resonator installed, with the slp cai, cut lid, and a k&n filter. Sounds sick. Nice rumble at idle, and when it pics up, sounds more towards muscle and nascar, than rice! [img]graemlins/fluffy.gif[/img]
                      Go Fast or Dont Go

Comment

don't buy from LMmotorsports.com they overcharge for everything. I have flowmaster exhaust going into dual tips, k&n filter, whisper lid and ported hood nostrils with piping (cold air/ram air). Once my car gets warmed up I've never gotten a bad comment on my exhaust even high rpm its not very ricey although it does thin out a bit. Idle vs Idle I hang with my friends tri-flow corvette. The biggest difference i've felt after all my mods was:
                        1. K&N: none
                        2. Exhaust: Sound but a little ricey up top
                        3. Whisper lid: Nice sound coming from under the hood and added some more noise to my exhaust.
                        4. Ported Nostrils: Overall performance improved, throttle response improved, top end performance gain, exhaust note improved once car is warmed up.
                        00\' firebird v6 5spd<br />201rwhp ---- 230 rwtq<br />\"Everyday I grow stronger...and further from you.\"<br />WARNING: Do not take any of my comments seriously unless they are technical in nature and then only at your own risk

Comment

If your not looking for really loud. Don't get the SLP Loudmouth, the name says it all. If your leaning towards flowmaster, don't get a 3inch, makesure you get the 2.5inch with the resonator. My 3inch is pretty loud, and it gets annoying if your talking to someone or having a conversation in the car. It doesn't bother me too much when I have my music up, but still.

Comment

You should go ahead and try to Free Ram air and raised airbox while your still deciding on other parts. It took me like an hour while goofing off to do that. I just dremeled out the bottom of the airbox to get some more air in, made a definite improvement. Install University will give you illustrated instructions as a guideline for that.

Exhaust is mainly going to be everyone's different opinions, you're never going to the actual "best". A lot of people who get the loudmouth think it's too loud and a bit annoying. I've heard it in a few videos and it sounds like a crazed weedwacker at WOT. I love my flowmaster, and a lot of people will agree that it's the best bang for the buck. It sounds decent, nice rumble down low. It gets a little thin up high, but the newer american thunder version has a resonator that helps that also. I'd go ahead and get the exhaust/intake done now, then in a few more weeks (or whenever you get the $$) go ahead and buy some headers too, they'll definately deepen your sound and get rid of the rasp. Your exhaust will take a few weeks to "burn in" before it's tone really settles down. Just about any exhaust you get on these cars will always sound good down low in the rpm range though, which is where you'll be doing most of your driving, so I'd just get whatever you can afford best. The hp difference in all the V6 catbacks are so small that it just makes the most sense to get whatever you can afford, they'll all do about the same thing.
                            AIM: Alientr8tr<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/583450\" target=\"_blank\">1998 Camaro 3.8L</a><br />Flowmaster 80-series, !FRA, Eibach Springs, KYB AGX, SLP sway bars, 3.42/LSD, Wings West kit, Z06 Motorsports, Silverstone Metallic paint<br /><a href=\"http://www.shift5.com/\" target=\"_blank\">Shift 5</a> - My Band

Comment

thanks everyone for their input

i decided on the Flowmaster American Thunder

i had it ordered from a local hod rod shop for $330... they charge $79/hr to install anything, you think thats worth it or is it better to just try to install it myslef (i have zero experience in that kinda thing)

i also ordered a Whisper Package Deal for 3.8L V6 cars - Whisper Air Induction Lid, K&N Air Filter, K&N Cleaning Kit for 148.95.. best deal i could find for getting all 3 of those (cheaper than getting em seperate anywhere else)

so thats a start.. i should be able to install the lid/filter myself no problem, i'm worried but the exhaust though, that'd be a tough job.. and 79/hr seems like a lot for me..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X