S/Cat connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S/Cat connection

two questions here. I got my 3" LT1 magnaflow system delivered yesterday, lifted the car up on stands and was oaying out pieces to test fit them. looks like everything will sit nice. However, the front of the new I-pipe has an S bend in it and will mate up to the new 3" cat. The problem is, the front of that piece is flared out and comes with the hardware for a 2-bolt flange connection. the cat is just as 3" O.D. pipe. I bought a pair of 3" but joint band clamps, but now that wont work. how am I going to make that connection, at lest temporary until I can take the assembled (I dont want to pay a shop to hang the exhaust) system to get it permanently welded. I was half thinking about cutting the bevel off the S/I pipe and band clamp it.
    Problem #2 - my current system (stock manifolds, cat and 2 1/2" flowmaster) is sitting within 1/8 -1/16" of the tunnel brace and I already had to cut a channel out of it to allow for the C-clamp connectin I-Spipe above it. going to a 3" system I know its going to hit. Do the aftermarket BMR tubular tunnel braces provide more clearance? and can I remove the tunnel brace until I can get the BMR ordered? I dont think I will ruin anything in a weeks time.... unless I get t-boned and dont have it there to stiffen the car... but in that case they will total it anyway.
    \'01 Mineral Grey SVT Cobra<br />-former F-body owner

I cut the flange off my 3" s-pipe right after the cat, and used a 3" band clamp. No leaks from mine.
    <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a> THE SOURCE!

Comment

cool... so you have the same setup then.... just cut like 1/2" off the end of the bend?

Comment

also.... did you add any hangers? there is a stock hanger connecting the stock cat. how am I going to reinforce the new cat?

Comment

I ditched that hanger. I put a peice of rubber heater hose between the tunnel brace and my catback to hold it up. I have no vibrations or anything from this setup. But without the tunnel brace and rubber hose, it was hanging VERY low!
          <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a> THE SOURCE!

Comment

I'll grab a chunk of hose then for now.... will find a shop to weld some hangers in later if I can find one to do it cheap enough. sounds good. I just shot some photos of the whole exhaust system from headers to tailpipes laid out as a system in the driveway... ooh, what a pretty site. starting taking old system off tomarrow after work, putting new on Sat. morning!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X