MAF screen removal... silly or super super smart? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MAF screen removal... silly or super super smart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAF screen removal... silly or super super smart?

Is removing the MAF screen worth it? It seems foolish to me as it is the last barrier from your engine to loads of dirt... is this worth it? :rolleyes:
    RedLineVSix <br />95 Patriot Red Trans Am, M6, 3.42\'s,no rear tires<br />(SOLD!)97 Silver Camaro 3.8 Liter A4 3.42 + LSD, 1pc DS, and one messed up speedo :)

that screen isn't going to stop an ounce of dirt

maybe some blades of grass

but nothing will get by your filter like that

some people have caused other problems by removing it though, turbulant air problems that mess up the maf sensor readings.

I wouldn't do it personally.
    2001 75th Anniversary V6 Pewter Firebird w/ Chrome Wheels, T-Tops, & Y87<br />Mods: Free Ram Air, !Silencer, Holley Filter, Full 3\" Hooker Catback, 3\" Cat<br />Best time: 15.095 at 90.00 MPH with a 2.127 60\'

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>97 Silver Camaro 3.8 Liter A4 3.08
      <hr></blockquote>

on the post 98 fbody's, the maf is lined up perfectly to the tb and the air flowing throught the maf to the tb is in a straight line; therefore, for post 98's, the !MAF screen mod is a pretty worthy mod from what i've heard.

now 98 had a maf that looked just like the 95-97 3.8s, only their intake was in a different position. not so sure about the 98s, but i'm positive that the 95-97 !MAF screen mod is not a smart idea.

reason: the problem is the way the air is directed into the TB, it comes in from an angle, so i think the screen actually straightens the air out better to hit the TB at the "correct" angle or something like that. i would only assume with the 98's it would be the same because the location of the maf is the same.

in other words, don't do it :D not going to be a good mod: might decrease power and also is prolly not too great for the tb/engine.

[ September 01, 2002: Message edited by: Only4U ]</p>
      2000 NBM M6 Camaro Z28<br />323/335

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by raxxus:
        Is removing the MAF screen worth it? It seems foolish to me as it is the last barrier from your engine to loads of dirt... is this worth it? :rolleyes: <hr></blockquote>

The screen has nothing to do with dirt. It is there to ensure the correct airflow for the MAF sensor. Removing the screen will induce leaning. This idea comes from the LT1 guys who did it, but the LT1 runs way too rich. Do a search and you'll find the truth. For a more detailed discussion on why not to do this mod, particularly on a 95-98, see the Technical Database.
        Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

I have a custom ram air setup and right now my filter doesn't sit properly. I lost the peice that mounts the top bracket. So somehow bugs and moths of the sort seem to get by it and the MAF is the only thing keeping them from going into my engine. When I get the money I want to convert to SLP Cai

Comment

I am in disagreement with Robert about this mod.

I have done MANY MANY autotap logs. Removing the MAF screen does not affect the WOT readings (on the 97 application).

I've had mine removed for years now.

One thing I DID notice in the logs was a smoother idle with the screen in. At idle, the readings where much more consistant with the screen in the car than they were without.

I belive the screen is there so the car idles smoothly.

I will NOT be putting a screen back in my car.
            Keith - Chicago<br /><a href=\"http://www.hptuners.com\" target=\"_blank\">HP Tuners - PCM Reprogramming</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/\" target=\"_blank\">97 Firebird V6 to LS1 swap</a><br /><b>V8 9.967@132.78</b> 1.322 60\' NA Heads/Cam<br /><b>V8 10.295@128.48</b> 1.363 60\' NA Cam Only<br /><b>V8 10.987@119.31</b> 1.422 60\' NA Stock Internals<br /><b>V6 13.674@98.22</b> NA<br /><b>V6 12.394@104.91</b> N20 100HP

Comment

ok Keith, but to the million dollar question. other than a cool sounding idle, what benefits did you see. more power? can you quantify?

thnx
              1997 silver Camaro RS<br />|T-Type Powered|<br /><a href=\"http://www.kwfbody.com\" target=\"_blank\">Looking for a local F-Body club in K/W, Ontario, Canada?</a>

Comment

Well... the MAF screen IS a restriction... With it removed air can move quicker through the TB. With that in mind, do YOU think it will make more HP?

It's possible.. very minute though.

I definately woulnd't run a MAF screen on a dry nitrous setup though. They crack and your engine sucks them up. [img]smile.gif[/img]
                Keith - Chicago<br /><a href=\"http://www.hptuners.com\" target=\"_blank\">HP Tuners - PCM Reprogramming</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/\" target=\"_blank\">97 Firebird V6 to LS1 swap</a><br /><b>V8 9.967@132.78</b> 1.322 60\' NA Heads/Cam<br /><b>V8 10.295@128.48</b> 1.363 60\' NA Cam Only<br /><b>V8 10.987@119.31</b> 1.422 60\' NA Stock Internals<br /><b>V6 13.674@98.22</b> NA<br /><b>V6 12.394@104.91</b> N20 100HP

Comment

My (somewhat) educated guess would have been minute gains. Removing restrictions in air flow is generally a good thing [img]smile.gif[/img]

For me being a daily driver, occasional racer... sounds like something to leave as is for now.

For someone trying to squeeze every additional ounce of performance out of their vehicle, i'd say following Keith's example is generally a good thing too [img]smile.gif[/img]
                  1997 silver Camaro RS<br />|T-Type Powered|<br /><a href=\"http://www.kwfbody.com\" target=\"_blank\">Looking for a local F-Body club in K/W, Ontario, Canada?</a>

Comment

i took mine out, put it back in and now i have it out and i think that im going to leave it out for now. the idle is a lil rough, but not bad by anymeans. it may be in my head, but it felt a lil more responsive when i just barely pressed on the gas. don't have any proof, i swear it just felt a lil more responsive.
                    1997 Firebird Convertable White, with custom Purple pin striping and custom Purple detailing!!!<br />Y87 Performance Package W68 Apperance Package<br />Boydes, aluminum rims 16\" BMR STB <br />SLP Cold Air Intake 3\"hiflow cat 3\" dynomax custom catback, 2.5\" Flowmaster 80. Slp Take off Shocks, Springs And Struts. Transgo shift kit with corvette servo!<br />Sony Explode CD Player Kicker Comp VR 12, and Explode 760Watt amp!!!<br />5% Tint on the side windows, Correction officially 2% on the side windows, or at least that is what the highpo said and 15% on my rear window<br />Yup Purdy Car!!

Comment

I loved the sound of my idle when I had the screen out. But I put it back in just for the fact that it had a rough idle. MAF sensor has a hard time measuring a steady airflow, and therefore has a hard time getting the A/F ratio correct.
                      ~Derrick <a href=\"http://www.appstate.edu/~do54457/\" target=\"_blank\"><i>My Webpage</i></a><br /><b>\'96 3.8L V6 M5 Firebird Y87</b> | <b>162.8 RWHP</b> / <b>196.7 RWTQ</b> <br /><b>•</b> SLP CAI <b>•</b> <a href=\"http://tech.firebirdv6.com/y87.html\" target=\"_blank\"><b>Y87</b> Package</a> - 3.23s <b>•</b> 180º thermo w/ fan switch <b>•</b> TB spacer from DEE<br />1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4

Comment

well i have had my screen off for more than a year now and have no problems with it off. did i notice any power difference no. is there a differnce in power, i am sure there is, just not enough to make you feel a difference. i would recommend taking it off though. every little bit of power helps!!
                        <b>2000 Firebird </b><br /><i>old setup </i>- Automatic Whisper lid, Borla catback, shift kit w/ V8 servo, 3.42 gears w/ LSD, PI 3000 converter, <br /><br /><i>14.703@90.92, 2.01 60\' </i>(intake and exhaust)<br /><br /><i> new setup </i> swapped over to LS1 413.9rwhp/398.7rwtq<br /><a href=\"http://www.thunderracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.thunderracing.com</a>

Comment

super super smart!
                          :D

no..but seriously, I think that my car was a little bit more responsive after I took it out. I've had no problems with it and I didn't have any idling roughness.

I have yet to reset the PCM since doing it. I hear that's bad.
                          - JT3<br />1998 Red V6 Camaro Y87 Y3F - J.E.T. Chip Stage II - Clear Parking Lights - Removed Grill - K&N - Whisper Lid - !FRA MOD - MAF Screen Removed - Pro 5.0 - Pacesetter Headers - Magnaflow Catback - 32mm Front Swaybar - And A System(bump bump)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X