any problems with pacesetters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any problems with pacesetters?

I'm installing the coated pacesetter headers this staruday and was wondering if anyone had had any problems with their installs that i should look out for or any general advice for doing it?
    PhiDeltaTheta: VA Gamma Chapter@RMC Rocks! Ya herd?!<br />\'99 3.8 V6: for sale....<br />present project: 2002 Trans Am WS-6<br />Black, 3.43 gears, longtube headers, true dual layout.

not a real hard install. it was harder to remove the old headers. i was lucky and had a lift to use. [img]graemlins/rock.gif[/img]
    _davjos81- 02 v6<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/davjos81\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/davjos81 </a><br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/davjos81\" target=\"_blank\"> <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/davjos81\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/user/davjos81</a> </a> <br /><br />-over $8,000 invested! Too many mods to list, just check out my site!!

Comment

good luck!
      _davjos81- 02 v6<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/davjos81\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/davjos81 </a><br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/davjos81\" target=\"_blank\"> <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/davjos81\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/user/davjos81</a> </a> <br /><br />-over $8,000 invested! Too many mods to list, just check out my site!!

Comment

hope this helps

"Hello Everyone, I just install PaceSetter Headers on my 97 3800 heres the details

whast you need
        Metric tools, weches and sockets,
        3 inch extention, 6 inch extention
        plyers. welder, saw, few other things
        swivil, 2 PEOPLE

1 frist drive the car then let it cool about 45 mins, HINT PUT YOU HOOD UP cool faster

2 pull it up on ramps, block back tire e-break all that, saftey

3 get old Y pipe off there undo bolts and cut away from cat then, this gives you more room

4get the plug wires out of the way, then the plugs, Manofolds are still hot!! use gloves

5 no im not crazy your working while it cools this is why, start on the manifold bolts ASAP, when car warm they come out easy, i only had trouble with the vary last one i took out, driver side, 3rd bolt, bottom. theres studs with nuts on them, on that bolt the nut was free from the stud, then i got stud out after 15mins of playing with it. NOTE i had to put a stock stud in this hole, i dont know why but new ones would not go in

It wiil take longer to get stock manifolds out then the new headers in

6 the pass manifold will drop out the bottom, take the driver side out the top tricky but it will go. NOTE you need 2 people 1 under car and one under hood. you can take off the heat sheilds on the manafolds it helps a little. (have to anyway to get the O2 senors out)

7. as you take stock out have person thats not under car get out the O2 senors (or have new ones ready) mine came out easy 19mm. TAKE OFF HEAT SHEILDS. Then put them in the headers were they go.

8. most tricky part of the header install is getting the driver side in there, dont be fooled bye room on the driver side, the drive side will take longer to do almost everything, dont look like it. trust me it goes in, without removing any thing, from the bottom
        had to dent the frame a about 1/2 back to slip it in, NO BIGY

9. sealing, DO NOT GET THE FEL-PRO GASKETS THEY SUCK, I was frustrated with the leaks,so I tried stock ones, drive side sealed up, pass side did not , i cut my own gasket and used stock to get it to seal (yes both). if i had more time i would have got new stock ones from GM, call them they have exact ones you just took out, PARTS DEPOT at any gm dealer i would have those new ones before you start. use those. if does leak, it only takes about 20 min to take header off and move gasket a little, I SAY: make sure gasket is as far to the top as it can as this is were all me leaks was, top and just to left when looking at them.

I got a sheet from autzone and tried making my own gaseket, it almost worked this is how i know were it was leaking, but with my homeade gasket and the stock one it sealed, with new stock, you should not have problem.

new headers are easy to bolt in just start in the center and work outwards, then back to center till everything is snug. put ypipe on snug up bolts, weld to cat. thats about all, i used old lug nuts as spacers on the flang bolts so i could make it tighter helps ALOT

ADVIES TO GET NEW HIGH FLOW CAT , I HAVE CATCO, AND 2 1/2 CAT BACK PIPES, CAMARO V8 80 SERIES FLOWMASTER FROM SUMMIT 3 INCH IN AND DUAL 2 1/2 OUT, SOUND LIKE V8 TILL ABOUT 3500RPM

Pros
        more top end power, lol, i can cherp going into 4 gear!!!! WOW
        better sound
        even with 195 thermo temp stay at 180 now
        cleans up bay
        change spark plugs and wires in 20-40 mins, YES I SAID 20 MINS, i had a miss took out every plug and checked it in 20mins, From the top only!!!!!
        O2 replacement is snap
        BETTER GAS MILeAGE
        NO CODES
        loooks great
        LUB LUB LUB LUB LUB GRR GRR LUB LUB KILL LUB THE GRR RICE LUB LUB OH YEAH
        headers have pulation and O2 hook up built in. came with new header bolts and flang bolts
        cant think of any cons, ones there are only for install
        using gtech pro 3 runs showed gain of 13-29 RWHP

CONS
        costly TO BUY
        need time
        freaking polution cotroll on driver side is hard to seal, cut one out from the sheet i got at auto zone WORKS GREAT NO LEAK
        center plug on pass side, shave down a 5/8 socket till you can get over the plug, or bye shorty plugs no biggy
        ummm cant really think of any more
        umm
        ahh
        you get my point

gaskets are meltle, you can take haeders on and off till you get seal,

any qestions why i did or did not do something please ask, or if you need more detail on certan things let me know
        www.turbov6camaro.com
        1997 3800 Series II Camaro
        4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
        7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
        11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

thank you so much viper!
          this does help quite a bit.
          i really appreciate it man
          PhiDeltaTheta: VA Gamma Chapter@RMC Rocks! Ya herd?!<br />\'99 3.8 V6: for sale....<br />present project: 2002 Trans Am WS-6<br />Black, 3.43 gears, longtube headers, true dual layout.

Comment

NP i wrote that up a year ago after i did mine
            www.turbov6camaro.com

Comment

Originally posted by viper04af:

ADVIES TO GET NEW HIGH FLOW CAT , I HAVE CATCO, AND 2 1/2 CAT BACK PIPES, CAMARO V8 80 SERIES FLOWMASTER FROM SUMMIT 3 INCH IN AND DUAL 2 1/2 OUT, SOUND LIKE V8 TILL ABOUT 3500RPM
              what does it sound like after 3500? Have a clip? I just got some pacesette³®øC but havent fully decided on a cat-back

Comment

the only time it pops is if you rev it and let of the gas a few time and even then its not bad, it gets raspy in the 5200 rpm area when not moving, but when the car is moving and the motor has a load it just sounds great, going down the high way, poeple look over to see what it is, but it is NOT lound in the car since i got the turbo i'm going to upgrade to a 3" pipe but i like the flow master, long as it sounds good i dont care, i care more about speed then sound lol.
                www.turbov6camaro.com

Comment

BTW mine is all custom, i got the flowmaster 80 at summit (V8 one with 3" in and dual 2.5 out)

and had a exuast shop custom bend the 2.5 pipe from the cat back
                  www.turbov6camaro.com

Comment

http://www.camarov6.com/ubb/ultimate...;f=25;t=005019 here is a link to the sound clip that is posted here,

Comment

http://www.fbody.com/members/leondb/...ip2dualins.wmv this one will open the sound clip for you

Comment

i have a flowmaster american thunder system which is cat back 2.5'' pipe and eighty series muffler i think with a resonator. it sounds pretty good as it is but i know it'll sound freakin' awesome w/ the headers! how long do you think it'll take if i have four guys working w/ me, one of them a full time mechanic, one of them a mechanic in training [his son] my dad and i who are these twos respective best friends and are moderately exp[erienced in tinkering w/ cars. we have acess to all professional grade tools and whatnot? Also please let me know which are better spark plugs: NGK or Bosch Platinum 2's or 4's?

Comment

4 would be perfect on a lift have to poeple under the car and 2 getting things and transfering the O2 senors and things
                          www.turbov6camaro.com

Comment

do you self a favor and get a set of better plug wires if it has not been mentioned..

one for the 90* boot issue.. and two they are better protected from the headers since you will no longer have heat sheilds..

Comment

I don't know a good way to seal them to the head. 10+ people told me to get felpro "They're Great", and they don't even fit the bolt pattern. The manifold gaskets I got from GM leaked like a mother ****er. The paper ones sealed really well, but they will pobrably burn out within the year. If you find a good solution let me know.
                              Turbocharged and intercooled.<br />17psi(oops), stock fuel pump, no FMU<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/phoenix64\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/phoenix64</a> <br />Video: <a href=\"ftp://ftp.pfabrication.com\" target=\"_blank\">ftp://ftp.pfabrication.com</a> Assorted car ****: TurboCamaroFull.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X