CIA install problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CIA install problem

I installed my headers and I cranked up my car, but I have smoke coming up. I can't really tell where it's coming from, other than near the headers. It's not too bad, but it's enough to kinda see and smell. I was wondering if I just need to tighten it down some more and do that for the next couple of days, or if there is a problem. Thanks
    <b>99\' Black Camaro SS</b> <br />M6/T-Tops - SLPLid w/K&N | Hurst Billet Plus w/ LSS | EGR Mod<p>Black 97\' Camaro T-Tops (RIP)

what color is the smoke?

try to find out where the leak is, they could just be burning in.

Scott

Comment

It's not unsusal for a new engine or engine part to smoke for a while. It could be the paint or anti rust coating they put onto preserve the part while it is in the warehouse. See if it goes away by tommorow. If it were exhaust, I would expect you to hear it more than see or smell it.

MIKE
      1997 Camaro A4, 3.8L Red T-Tops<br />Y87 pkg, 3.42 LSD<br />SLP cold air kit <br />180 Thermo<br />Alpine speakers

Comment

Like Mike mentioned, if it were a leak you SHOULD HEAR it more than anything else... but it's probably pretty loud with the open headers. Get your exhaust welded back up and see if it persists and listen for a ticking in the engine compartment... then you know you have a leak and should try tightening the bolts down harder... unless something else is burning but you should be able to tell best since you're looking right at it.

Exhaust shouldn't really produce that much of a noticeable smoke either.

And as for the burning-in theories - well we know those aren't correct since the headers are used.
        2002 Camaro SS 6 Spd<br />Sebring Silver Metallic<br />Still breaking it in<p>Traded in - 2002 V6 5 Spd Camaro.<p>\"I\'ll never trust squirrels again.\"

Comment

What gaskets are you using. Some gaskets smell at first. I would have the exhaust welded up first and then you'll probably be able to find th problem easyer.
          <b>Red 1999 Firebird M5</b><br />Whisper Lid,Borla Catback,K&N,Dual Friction Center Force Clutch,Hurst Shifter w/Lou\'s Short Stick,!FRA,Suncoast Ramair hood,160 Thermo,!maf,Chrome ZO6 Wheels, Painted Calipers, CIA Headers, Taylor Wires, NGK Spark Plugs, 3\" Catco, Jet Chip Stage II, BMR STB, LCA, PHR, SFC, Fan Switch, FTRA<br /><b>Old Dyno Numbers: 183 RWHP, 217 RWTRQ</b><br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/redsixer\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/user/redsixer</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X