Installing RK sport headers....problems? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing RK sport headers....problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing RK sport headers....problems?

I'm about to order my headers from RK sport and was wondering exactly what has to be done to make them no leak and hold strong. I'm having my exhaust mechanic put them on, but i don;'t know exactly what to tell him, in how to stop the leaks? Im having him weld the downpipe to the high-flo cat Im getting, but what else is thee to be done?
    Thanks in advance
    Matt
    ------------
    New ride: 98 firebird-y87-appearance package-t=tops-MINT-and stock for now [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
    B&B tri-flo on its way
    Old ride: 94 camaro- t-t
    ops-tri-flo-K&N-underbody neons-Unbelievable condition- SOLD

They leak where the Y pipe meets the header. I have heard metal gaskets help. And that wetting your paper gaskets help because it makes them expand. But the utlimate fix is to have the header welded to the Y pipe.

Also when your mechanic installs these headers tell him it is alot easier to install the driver side header if he removes the stud out of the head. He will know what im talking about when he attempts to put it in there. Other than the leak I do believe that this is a good quality header.

Has anyone contacted RKSPORT about these leaking?

Comment

or he can have the flmsy 2 bolt collectors cut off.. (this is where the y pipe meets the header) and have some 3 bolt flanges welded on..
      I remember SOMEONE did this.. just can't remember who..

[ August 22, 2002: Message edited by: black98V6 ]</p>
      -Brad
      98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
      2000 V-Star Custom 1100
      If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
      :rock:

Comment

I had my headers hooked up for about 5 miles. They sealed up just fine. Then I had to pull the heads off. So I took off the headers. When I get it running again I will have them welded. But I can assure for the first 5 miles they did seal.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X