Thinking about getting rid of the cat - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about getting rid of the cat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about getting rid of the cat

Would I see much of a gain with no cat over a highflow cat? Also do you guys know where I can find an O2 sim and how many would I need? The only ones I can find say they are for the v8. Are these the same?
    2000 turbo/intercooled M5 Black Firebird<br />349.5hp and 415.3tq @ 4400rpms

i didn't really notice a gain at all after removing my cat. in fact, i had to eventually install a resonator in it's place to keep the raspy tone down... you'll only need one o2 sim, and you can find them on several websites, and sometimes on eBay... good luck
    1998 Camaro 3.8 M5

Comment

If you do something to the intake to get more air in then yes you will get quite a top end gain with losing a little power under 2,500 rpms or so, but you still have plenty. As for sound, it gets a lot louder and sounds worse on the top end but incredible at idle. I would have rather just go with a cut out before the cat.
      1997 Nassau Blue Vette<br />1989 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 (lifted with 31\" tires)<br />2000 V6 Camaro, loud, cammed 210rwhp *SOLD*

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Ttop34:
        If you do something to the intake to get more air in then yes you will get quite a top end gain with losing a little power under 2,500 rpms or so, but you still have plenty. As for sound, it gets a lot louder and sounds worse on the top end but incredible at idle. I would have rather just go with a cut out before the cat.<hr></blockquote>
        If I got a cutout before the cat wouldn't I still need an o2 sim so it wouldn't set off the SES light?

Comment

If you get a cut out before the cat and leave the cat in place, you don't need an o2 sim. The air that will still go through the cat and make it to the post cat o2 sensor will have gone past the cat so it's what the computer is expecting. Even if you do get one, it's not really that hard to clear the code out of the computer, I do it all the time because my o2 sim gives me low voltage readings.
          1997 Nassau Blue Vette<br />1989 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 (lifted with 31\" tires)<br />2000 V6 Camaro, loud, cammed 210rwhp *SOLD*

Comment

How would I clear the code? I don't have an auto tap. Could autozone do it for free?
            Thanks [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
              New Owner!
              by LETZRIDE
              I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
              2 days ago
            • ssms5411
              Little work today
              by ssms5411
              Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
              2 weeks ago
            • LETZRIDE
              Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
              by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
              Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
              By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
              Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
              02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X