Bad Exhaust Odor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Exhaust Odor

I think my cat is going out. Very bad smell like sulfer, and different grades of gas do not help it. I have a 98 v6 firebird with 62k. Our manuals say something about a 70k warranty on the cat and sensors.
    Has anyone else had this problem?
    Has anyone taken advantage of this warranty?
    98 Blue Firebird M5 <br />Spintech,Pro 5.0,K&N,Taylor 8mm,02\'TA Rims.

Chances are it is the cat. That's really the only thing that will make the exhaust smell like that. Now would be the perfect time to replace the stock one with a high flow, because no one will touch the stock one unless it is going bad.
    2000 GTP<br />Thrasher CAI, 3.4\" pulley, DHP PCM<br />Member RedLineVSix<br />Best ET-14.02<br />Best Trap-97.15

Comment

I had my car scanned at Autozone and it did not display any codes.

Comment

A bad cat won't throw any codes, usually. If your SES light didn't come on then there wouldn't be any codes to pull.
        2000 GTP<br />Thrasher CAI, 3.4\" pulley, DHP PCM<br />Member RedLineVSix<br />Best ET-14.02<br />Best Trap-97.15

Comment

thanks alot....
          i am going to take it to the dealer and make them replace it for free under the 70,000 mile emmisions warranty.

Comment

warranty? whats that?
            if its free, you cant beat that.
            6s.......under the hood or under the belt, they just dont cut it.

Comment

why not just take it off, or gut it?

"Money can't buy me happiness, but I'm happiest when I can buy what I want"
              05' CTS-V
              00' Camaro - SOLD :(

Comment

well if you take it to the dealer that's great, however if you have a catback exhaust it voids the warranty on the cat. Just a muffler is fine tho.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                  New Owner!
                  by LETZRIDE
                  I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                  3 days ago
                • ssms5411
                  Little work today
                  by ssms5411
                  Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                  2 weeks ago
                • LETZRIDE
                  Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                  by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                  Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                  By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                  Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                  02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X