new muffler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new muffler?

My son has a '97 R/S thay he just put an SLP CAI on. He and I are looking for a muffler that is 1 notch louder than the the stock dual outlet muffler. Loudmouthes and the others we've heard are too loud. He was looking at the Hooker muffler, but don't know how loud it is, or is it raspy. anyone outthee have any ideas?

If you can find a "MellowTone" muffler, those are inexpensive and not too much louder than the stock dual outlet.
    -Kevin<br /><a href=\"http://heinz.no-ip.com/Car%20Pics/IM000117.JPG\" target=\"_blank\"><b>\'96 White Camaro RS M5</b></a> <br />GTP Shortblock - T3/T4 -6psi Intercooled<br />Open Downpipe

Comment

Thanks, I've also been reading about the Z-28 stock muffler, does anyone know if that is a little deeper and louder than the stock R/S muffler?

Comment

I have the stock exhaust from a camaro SS on mine. Its a little bit louder and deeper than our stock but not much. A lot of people prefer it though but i'm a fan of loud exhaust.
        1999 silver firebird: whisper lid, KN, Flowmaster 80 series, 3:42 gears

Comment

A slight notch louder is a Z28/SS takeoff muffler. If you want a just a notch above that, go with a Dynomax Super Turbo. They're relatively quiet but get loud when you mash the gas. Gives a low mellow rumble at idle(this is what I have).

I'm not sure what dual outlet mufflers were put on stock 97 RS's, but I know for sure that 2001 and 2002 Y87 and RS camaros had a Z28/SS takeoff type muffler...they sounded pretty good for stock if you ask me and don't drone as much. The dynomax has a little bit of drone, but sounds more low and muscular than the Z28/SS takeoff mufflers. All in all, they are pretty quiet, nothing like a loudmouth or flowmaster. But that's just my preference.
          Yes, I know \"Artic\" should be spelled \"Arctic\". Can any of the mods change this?

Comment

Thanks guys, looks like it will be an SS muffler on the boy's car.

Comment

Originally posted by jior:
              My son has a '97 R/S thay he just put an SLP CAI on.
              Welcome!!!

May I suggest the edlebrock cat back?

Nice mellow tone
              Not aggressively loud
              $283 from www.summitracing.com

I was VERY happy with it
              Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
              nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
              2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
              2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

I'm unhappy with my LS1 take off exhaust now, came off a formula. I've heard the SS take off exhaust from SLP on a 3800 and I think it sounds much better...wish I had gone that route. The z28/non-ws6 take off exhausts I think are just as loud as the SLP take off, but they don't have that rumble like they do.

I'm going to go magnaflow now.
                -1999 Camaro Coupe 3800 Series II V6 A4 - SOLD<br />-1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP coupe

Comment

i got a ws6 take off and am very pleased. the standard trans am and z28's are just about the same as the ws6's sound to me.
                  2001 Arctic White Firebird With Black Drop Top<br /><br />3:42 Gears<br />Zexel LSD<br />BMR upper A-Arms<br />Trans Am exhaust with 3\" I-pipe and cutout<br />Modified intake<br />Mecham Hood<br />Trans Go shift kit<br />Making rear control arms and panhard

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X