Someone tell me I Know what I am doing>>> - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Someone tell me I Know what I am doing>>>

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone tell me I Know what I am doing>>>

I was hanging out with a hot rod friend of mine and he said for my car that instead of messing with the exhaust, that for now I should concentrate on the air box and do something with that. He told me I should order something aftermarket and get a K&N filter.
    I dont want to mess up my car, I wanted to do the free ram air mod, put a few washers under the bottom of the 4 screws that hold the base down and get a K&N put in. I have hurd that water can get into the engine though and that is what is stoping me. Also what about the airbox lid? would I want to leve it the way it is after all of this or would I want to cut the ribs off? I took it all apart last night to see what is involved and how it goes together, I will spent the $$ if there is the possibility that it will go wrong.
    Does anyone have the link to the free ram air mod? I lost the link I had.
    Thanks all, I am "slowely" learning it :cool:
    ~chris~ 98 Cayenne red Camaro 3800 A4, 3:08, T tops Borla cat-back, wisper lid K&N, Bilstine shocks, Dunlops all around. <br />AOL IM: chevyboyz24

don't worry about water getting in your engine it won't. you can do the washer mod, but i would reccommend going with an aftermarket lid. i've done the rib thing, plus take out the silencer and i still felt more of a difference by going to an aftermarket lid. the FRA is at ls1.com under the mods section.
    i was swimming in the carribean. animals were hiding behind the rocks except for the little fish, but they told me the squid\'s trying to talk to me. oink, oink. where is my mind?

Comment

hey, why don't you get a 7 in. k+n, then go to home depot and go to the plumbing section and get a 4in. wide rubber elbow that makes a 90 degree turn, a couple of O- straps to hold it together. Then get a stove range fan ducting vent, i know sounds weird but it looks just like a ram air scoop. you can find this in the air conditioning and heat duct section. you take all that stock air box crap off, it worthless to try and make it into something better.so now you should be looking at your engine w/ a bare throttle body and no more lid + silencer. OK take the k+n and place it inside the elbow put a o-strap thingy and tighten it just enough to fit losely at first. then grab your scoop and since the elbow and filter go from the engine strait down towards the sway bar that is what you'll put the scoop on top of. cut a couple of slits in the scoop and place some straps in the slits to make the scoop stay strait and securely on the sway bar. now you can place your filter and elbow inside the scoop and it fits entirely inside the scoop and then seal it w/ weather stripping or duct tape.tighten and your ready to roll. while your doing these mods reset your computer to help it adjust for the extra air faster by pulling your ign fuse and batt fuse, they are in the fuse box next to the drivers side door and dash. look up in your manual to see which ones are those fuses. do it for 20 or 30 min. and then put them back in. the k+n is part #599-ru-3130 @jegs for $31.99. the rubber elbow is $20 and the scoop is $6 the straps are probably $1 a piece and you'll need 4. that's $63 on a bad *** intake that is better than any i've seen or had. i drive in the rain all the time and never gives me problems. just don't drive in deep puddles more than 12in. which you probably don't do anyways. please don't buy a lid, too expensive and there is no way that it flows better than this, the openings still go from big to small more than this. my girlfriend has a 2000 bird and she has the oem lid like yours and i did this to hers and also mine.
      96 wht. firebird 5sd. rk sport headers,3in.catco, spintech catback,CAI,FRA,3.42/lsd 180*t-stat, centerforce dual friction clutch, ls1 driveshaft, polyurethane trans. mount.<br />01 blk. z28 m6, borla exht, lid, k<br />+n, sfc., chrome 18in. y2k c5 wheels.

Comment

You got pictures of this setup?

How do you know its better then any other one out there?
        <b>RedLineVSix Member</b><br />----------------------------<br /><b>~99 Anniversary WS6 M6 #1133~</b><br />Hurst shift<br />White with Blue Stripes/Rims<br />White Lether Interior<br />3\" flowmaster cat back<br />10K miles<br /><a href=\"http://www.fbody.com/members/30thWS6/index.htm\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.fbody.com/members/30thWS6/index.htm</a><br /><b>97 Grand Am GT</b> Daily driver

Comment

I think the original free air mod is better. The best straight line tubing the better. Reason why he saws that is better becuase I think hte has an airbox like mine, not in front of hte radiotor but right behind the driver side headlight.

I would not worry about the free ram air mod sucking up water, I had a ram air mod on my 85 camaro ran 2 ducts from grill to airbox in front of the radiotor, only time it ever get water in it was when the water in my area was knee deep(I am 6 foot 5in.) after a hirricane, then I opened my hood, lifted the intake ducting straight up and hooked it up with a belt to get throught the water, I am lucky I only got a few spots of water inside on my carpets. But this water was so deep it hydrolocked a saturn and a new v6 Stang.

How often do you run into water deep enough to put your nose in the water. Friend of mine used to have a ram air kit for his 5.0 and it cam under one of his fenders, it would bump bumpstops in parking spots, I remeber he would drive backwards throught the big puddles at my school, or he would follow a friend onf ours with a suburban and let him "part the waters"

Comment

the set up i was talking about looks like the fipk but points straight down off of the throttle body and attaches a scoop on the end and secure it to the swaybar. it won't scrape the ground or suck up water unless more than 8in. or so. their is a high pressure zone right there after the radiator for the ram air effect. it is the most straight shot to get ram air besides a hood.
            96 wht. firebird 5sd. rk sport headers,3in.catco, spintech catback,CAI,FRA,3.42/lsd 180*t-stat, centerforce dual friction clutch, ls1 driveshaft, polyurethane trans. mount.<br />01 blk. z28 m6, borla exht, lid, k<br />+n, sfc., chrome 18in. y2k c5 wheels.

Comment

ok, something elts just hit me, am I going to make it threw inspection? In New Jersey they put it on a dino with the tester up the tail pipe while they spin the tires and have a big fan in front of it simulating the emisions in real life.
              Also there are some sensors in the front, by letting more air in am I going to be seting them off and geting SES codes?
              I am sorry, I just really dont want to mess this thing up.
              ~chris~ 98 Cayenne red Camaro 3800 A4, 3:08, T tops Borla cat-back, wisper lid K&N, Bilstine shocks, Dunlops all around. <br />AOL IM: chevyboyz24

Comment

www.installuniversity.com

free mods and what not

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Chrisz24:
                  ok, something elts just hit me, am I going to make it threw inspection? In New Jersey they put it on a dino with the tester up the tail pipe while they spin the tires and have a big fan in front of it simulating the emisions in real life.
                  Also there are some sensors in the front, by letting more air in am I going to be seting them off and geting SES codes?
                  I am sorry, I just really dont want to mess this thing up.
                  <hr></blockquote>

Yes you will, I passed w/ my Moroso CAI. The Moroso kit comes w/ a sticker that says a bunch of numbers and "Sticker needed to pass emissions in CA" You'll be fine, dude.
                  --<b>David</b>--<br /><a href=\"http://bryant2.bryant.edu/~dsantore/index.htm\" target=\"_blank\">The <b>NEW</b> V6Bird Website!</a> <br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/thev6bird\" target=\"_blank\">Cardomain site</a><br />ΔX

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by rob231:
                    hey, why don't you get a 7 in. k+n, then go to home depot and go to the plumbing section and get a 4in. wide rubber elbow that makes a 90 degree turn, a couple of O- straps to hold it together. Then get a stove range fan ducting vent, i know sounds weird but it looks just like a ram air scoop. you can find this in the air conditioning and heat duct section. you take all that stock air box crap off, it worthless to try and make it into something better.so now you should be looking at your engine w/ a bare throttle body and no more lid + silencer. OK take the k+n and place it inside the elbow put a o-strap thingy and tighten it just enough to fit losely at first. then grab your scoop and since the elbow and filter go from the engine strait down towards the sway bar that is what you'll put the scoop on top of. cut a couple of slits in the scoop and place some straps in the slits to make the scoop stay strait and securely on the sway bar. now you can place your filter and elbow inside the scoop and it fits entirely inside the scoop and then seal it w/ weather stripping or duct tape.tighten and your ready to roll. while your doing these mods reset your computer to help it adjust for the extra air faster by pulling your ign fuse and batt fuse, they are in the fuse box next to the drivers side door and dash. look up in your manual to see which ones are those fuses. do it for 20 or 30 min. and then put them back in. the k+n is part #599-ru-3130 @jegs for $31.99. the rubber elbow is $20 and the scoop is $6 the straps are probably $1 a piece and you'll need 4. that's $63 on a bad *** intake that is better than any i've seen or had. i drive in the rain all the time and never gives me problems. just don't drive in deep puddles more than 12in. which you probably don't do anyways. please don't buy a lid, too expensive and there is no way that it flows better than this, the openings still go from big to small more than this. my girlfriend has a 2000 bird and she has the oem lid like yours and i did this to hers and also mine.<hr></blockquote>

I really want to see pics of this.

How is it better when its behuind the air dam??
                    <b>RedLineVSix Member</b><br />----------------------------<br /><b>~99 Anniversary WS6 M6 #1133~</b><br />Hurst shift<br />White with Blue Stripes/Rims<br />White Lether Interior<br />3\" flowmaster cat back<br />10K miles<br /><a href=\"http://www.fbody.com/members/30thWS6/index.htm\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.fbody.com/members/30thWS6/index.htm</a><br /><b>97 Grand Am GT</b> Daily driver

Comment

hey rs pro. it is better because it doesn't scrape on dips. and it is still below the air dam enough to pick up air. open up your hood and just imagine it sitting on the sway bar. i know it sounds fishy but trust me i'm out to have the best system for the dollar and this is my third and best so far.i would love to post a pic,but i don't have the equipment.L8r

Comment

Oops wrong person . i meant to say that to projectRS.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by rob231:
                          Oops wrong person . i meant to say that to projectRS.<hr></blockquote>

Cool, what if I used one of hose huge Auto zine Filters that sel for like $24 pointing streight down at the sway bar?

Comment

if it is similar to k and n , cloth and reuseable, i say go for it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X