What to expect from a cold air intake? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to expect from a cold air intake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to expect from a cold air intake?

What should I expect from a cold air intake? I'm asking like hp gains, acceleration, and noise under the hood. I have searched but have found nothing on this. Thanks
    2000 Firebird 3.8L, GU6, G80<br />Maple Red Metallic <br />And the rest is all stock.<br /><br />SOLD:94 Firebird 3.4L<br />Flowmaster 80 Series

Cold air. [img]graemlins/stickpoke.gif[/img]
    1994 Firebird 3.4<br />15.65 @ 86.8<br /><a href=\"http://www.funkz.net/firebird.htm\" target=\"_blank\">funkz.net/firebird</a><br /><a href=\"http://mywebpages.comcast.net/funkz/timeslips.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Timeslips</a>

Comment

Well, I just installed an SLP cai on my '97 Camaro M5. Right when you start it up you'll notice a pronounced sucking noise, which is louder the colder the engine is. And once the engine gets up to temp it's not very noticeable at all....except when you romp on the gas ;) and you can hear it whistle a bit.

You'll also notice better throttle response and just an overall feeling of more power throughout the rev range..especially when you get into our cars powerband (3500-5200 rpms approx.)

Comment

Heh, sorry a bit of humor there...

Yes, everything camaroincal said.
        1994 Firebird 3.4<br />15.65 @ 86.8<br /><a href=\"http://www.funkz.net/firebird.htm\" target=\"_blank\">funkz.net/firebird</a><br /><a href=\"http://mywebpages.comcast.net/funkz/timeslips.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Timeslips</a>

Comment

so does that sound good or bad?

Comment

I have had my SLP CAI for almost two years and I have never heard this mysterious sucking noice people refer to. Or maybe it is just because I don't remember what the car sounded like witout the CAI.

Anyway, you will probably notice a power gain when you got on it when you are going 45 mph+
            SLP CAI, K&N, Whisper Lid, 180* thermo, manual fan switch, 3.42 gears, Auburn Pro LSD, Wester\'s PCM Tuning, TSP Rumbler, High Flow Cat. Best Time: 9.909@71.58 (1/8 mile)

Comment

Originally posted by FunkZ:
              Cold air. [img]graemlins/stickpoke.gif[/img]
              You read my mind.
              2000 3.8L Firebird, Silver Metallic<br /><br />\"Yes, London. You know, fish, chips, cup o\' tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary f***in\' Poppins, London!!\"

Comment

Are there any good cold air intakes for under 100 bucks? Sort of like the ones off ebay. Anybody have these on their cars, how do they do? Thanks
                2000 Firebird 3.8L, GU6, G80<br />Maple Red Metallic <br />And the rest is all stock.<br /><br />SOLD:94 Firebird 3.4L<br />Flowmaster 80 Series

Comment

i would like to know this too. my 95 camaro has the stock hood with the two little slots and i was thinking, what if they were actually functional? (RAM air = CAI right? :-P) i would prolly get a SS hood though.

Comment

I don't know much for the pre 98's, but most people go with the slp kit. For the sound, just from adding the Whisper lid to mine, the car just plain sounded meaner. I'm guessing mostly because I did away with the silencer. The intake is a little louder, and sounds deeper and meaner. That's the best way I can describe it. For power, if that's the only thing you do, I'm guessing about 1-4 hp. Not much. If you have/do an exhaust though, they benefit off of each other, increasing the amount each one helps out the engine over each mod by itself
                    2000 silver A4 Camaro<br />Whisper lid; Free Ram Air; BMR stb; MSD super conductor wires; Gatorback belt?<br />1986 RX-7 (daily driver)

Comment

when my car is real cold my intake sounds like its gurgling cold air and when i get on it i can hear it whistle...if u have exhaust, it will make it sound a little deeper and if not then its probably more noticeable then mine cuz i had my exhaust 1st...thats the best way i can describe it
                      1997 Camaro<br />17x9 Chrome SS wheels, SLP CAI, Magnaflow Catback,<br />High Flow Cat, Blacked out Lights, 20% tint, AUDIO: 1600W Kenwood eXcelon Amp, 12\" Kicker L7, 1 Farad Cap (Recently STOLEN),<br />H&R Springs and KYB AGX\'s,<br />Billet Grille

Comment

im with fabolous24. mine does the exact same thing.
                        97 black Camaro A4<br />mods: flowmaster 80 series muffler, SLP cai

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X