Exhaust with least DRONE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust with least DRONE

I have the Edelbrock cat back, its awesome, sounds really deep sounding, but dam does it have alot of drone. It literally gives me a headache, of course some people like that, but I'm not one of them. Just want some suggestions as to which cat back is loud only when you get on it and very quiet when your at cruise. I'm open to anything other than Flowmaster. Thanks.
    \'96 Black Camaro M5<br />17x9.5\" O.Z. Monte Carlos, Eibach sportlines, SLP-CAI, Edelbrock cat-back

you want a Dynamax or a V8 Takeoff. the v8 takeoff will have the least noise, but ive heard dynamax is relatively quiet.

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
    Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

The SLP cat-backs are pretty quiet too, but not the LM it's the KING of drone.
      2002 Black Firebird:<br />A4, Y87, W68, T-tops<br />Best NA ET: 15.16 @ 90<br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/darksde02\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/darksde02</a>

Comment

How is Dynomax Exhaust as far as performance goes?
        \'96 Black Camaro M5<br />17x9.5\" O.Z. Monte Carlos, Eibach sportlines, SLP-CAI, Edelbrock cat-back

Comment

How much drone does the rumbler have? I've heard that it's a lot better than the loud mouth, but does it still drone a lot like the lm?
          2000 silver A4 Camaro<br />Whisper lid; Free Ram Air; BMR stb; MSD super conductor wires; Gatorback belt?<br />1986 RX-7 (daily driver)

Comment

I just got rid of my flowmaster b/c of how much interior resonance it had, so i know exactly what your talking about. I decided to go with the hooker aero chamber and wish I would had done it long ago. You can still hear the exhaust, but it does not drone inside at all. The tone is actually deeper than my flowmaster, and has much less rasp in the higher rpm's.
            2000 Sebring Silver Z28 M6<br />Jet-hot lt\'s,!cats, Hooker aerochamber,slp cai,mti lid, slp ss hood-spoiler-cme,eibach springs,bmr control arms & relo. brackets,bmr adj. phb,slp sfc\'s & stb,b&m ripper,Z06 wheels, Nitto 555\'s, and much more

Comment

How much for the Hooler Aero exhaust and where can I take a look at it online?

Comment

I would say best exhaust for performance, sound, style and least drone would be the SLP 2 on the left... i regret ditching this exhaust. it is all stainless mandrel. 3" I-pipe single in dual out on the driver side 2.5" pipes. Some dont like the absence of the other pipes, but it is straight through, and it wont drone, because the drone is caused from the 2 sides out of tune with each other. all sound out of one side equals no drone. I believe its right around $400 bucks. #1 in my mind, right behind that would be the Magnaflow... I have it now and love it, but it cant surpass the 2 on the left

Comment

That was one of the choices for me, how is the Magnaflow as far as drone and performance?

Comment

Originally posted by Pewter2K1:
                    I would say best exhaust for performance, sound, style and least drone would be the SLP 2 on the left... i regret ditching this exhaust. it is all stainless mandrel. 3" I-pipe single in dual out on the driver side 2.5" pipes. Some dont like the absence of the other pipes, but it is straight through, and it wont drone, because the drone is caused from the 2 sides out of tune with each other. all sound out of one side equals no drone. I believe its right around $400 bucks. #1 in my mind, right behind that would be the Magnaflow... I have it now and love it, but it cant surpass the 2 on the left
                    So, do you have a link to the SLP two on the left? I can't find it at the slp site, or at lmperformance. Was it discontinued? Oh, one last question. What size tubing are you using on your Magnaflow? Thanks
                    2000 silver A4 Camaro<br />Whisper lid; Free Ram Air; BMR stb; MSD super conductor wires; Gatorback belt?<br />1986 RX-7 (daily driver)

Comment

Originally posted by Pewter2K1:
                      because the drone is caused from the 2 sides out of tune with each other.
                      Not bashing, just asking, do you know this to be absolutely the case or is it just a theory based on the observation that the SLP two on the left has less drone than whatever muffler you are using now?
                      Matt<br />2000 Firebird<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/index.php?\" target=\"_blank\">FullThrottleV6.com</a>

Comment

Magnaflow mufflers are a straight through design, there performance level is good.
                        1999 Pontiac Trans Am M6 Far from stock.....
                        Pics http://rides.webshots.com/album/5599...Dk?vhost=rides

Comment

Majeskyb: SLP 2OTL
                          And I am using running 3" I-pipe and 2.5" tailpipes with oval tips

HAZ-Matt: I guess you could say its a theory, but if you think about it it kinda sorta makes sense.. I think alot of the drone is really dependent on the construction of the muffler. All i am saying is that I ahve had 9 exhausts on my car, trying to find the best one, and i say SLP 2OTL is the best I have had.

Magnaflow is nice, I like the sound. the noise inside the car doesnt really get to me.

Comment

Im glad I ditched my flow for the B&B. With headers I think it sounds the best, good performance, loud only when you want it, stainless steel and virtually no rasp.
                            Cons would be the cost, but I got mine used and was less than my pieced together flowmaster setup.
                            Shane
                            00 Pewter Y87 Camaro-SS Hood/Chrome rims, Black Halos, Clear corners, Pacesetters, V8 K&N FIPK, 3\" B&B TriFlow, HPP3, MSD Coils, Taylor wires, Transgo stage II, Edge 3000 Stall, 180* thermo, SLP Bowtie Grill<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/468763/1/\" target=\"_blank\">Carro</a>

Comment

I have loudmouth and it doesn't drone nearly as bad as my friend with a v6 mustang and dynomax. Dunno why everyone thinks loudmouth is so bad, you just need to go easy and it'll be quiet, that's all.
                              \'99 SSM Camaro V6 M5<br />(mod list on cardomain site; too long to list here)<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/v6cam99\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/v6cam99</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X