Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATTN: 12SecondV6

ATTN: 12SecondV6:

I want to know how you did that homemade ram air, if you could help me out I'd really appreciate it.

Just do a search on the board.... plenty of people have posted instructions/links as to how to do the free ram air mod.
    99 3800 NBM Camaro - (Xcessive Xcelleration Racing Team)<br />Ram/Cold Air Induction (custom)<br />Modified 4l60e Valve Body<br />Z28 Catback<br />SS Hood <br />Modified 99 GM 3800II <br />JB Performance Engineering<br />jfbperformance@cox.net

Comment

i was actually askin' 12secondv6 not you pal....i did a search. didnt help, thanx anyway

Comment

Well I have a 97 bird with the slp cold air kit.
        What I did was raise the front of the car and remove the whole black panel that seals off the compartment where the slp cold air filters are.
        Off hand I think there were 8-10 bolts of 1 size and 2 of another. It takes a bit of time the first time to remove it. Once I had it out I cleaned up the whole area. I then drove my bird over to home depot w/o that black plastic compartment piece on. I walked into the air conditioning ducting aisle and looked around aimlessly :D
        I found a piece that looked good. It had 2 45 degree bends in it to make a full 90 degree bend. It had a 3 or 4 inch wide by 8-10 inch long opening. I thought this might work the best. I looked at tubular pieces, square pieces but the rectangle piece seemed to work the best.
        It wasn't too expensive, maybe around 10 bucks?
        SO I went outside and sized it up. It seemed kinda low but do I really care???
        So I drove home and used a marker to mark up the black plastic piece with the size of the opening on the rectangular ac ducting piece. I then took a grinder :D (I love this toy) and buzzed an opening in the black plastic thing. This probably wasn't the most appropriate tool but it sure was fun.
        So Now I have my opening, I trial fitted the ac ducting and it looked good.
        Then what I did was on one opening of the ac ducting I cut all of the corners about 3/4 to 1 inch. I then inserted the ac ducting into the hole I cut in the black plastic piece and I folded the 4 metal sides so they now overlap the black plastic piece. I hope you are understanding me so far. Sometimes I am useless with explanations. I know what I want to say but can not convey it.
        OK now we have the metal ac ducting inserted into the black plastic piece and we folded the metal tabs onto the black plastic piece.
        I then took a drill and made several hole straight through the metal and plastic. I then took several zip ties and pushed them throgh the holes and tightened them.
        OK I know this is sounding ghetto right?
        It is cheap, it works, and I havn't had any problems with it.
        Some people think water will get in there, I have had no prblems with that. I do have to clean the filters a bit more often though.
        Oh yeah, one more thing.
        The opening on my ac ducting was sooo large that part of the radiator air scoop (black plastic thing under the car that always scrapes) was obstructing it.
        Again I got out my trusty grinder and buzzed off a decent piece of the air scoop thing for the radiator.
        The car does not run any hotter.
        Highway speeds (80+) seem to be better.
        Any questions on this?
        My explanation might be weak but feel free to ask away
        Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
        nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
        2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
        2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X