how do I "gut" my cat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do I "gut" my cat?

How do I gut my cat? Is it something that I can do myself? How do I take it off my car to gut it?
    Also:
    How will my car sound? better or worse? and will it give a deeper sound? I have K&N FIPK and stock muffler. Any help would be appriciated thanks. Oh and also what about emissions?

As far as the cat I just cut mine off and welded a pipe in it's place... Remember I your going to cut off the cat if your in the city if you ever get pulled over and they check for a cat they will ticket you.. so what i did was i got the old cat that I cut off and cut the guts out with a torch and slid it over the pipe i replaces the cat with.. so it looks like there is a cat on but it's just tacked on over a nother pipe... it's call caping... I use to do this to freinds cars that were running glasspacks... makes car loader and it might raze you idle a lighttle but not much...

Comment

Bust up the insides with a long screwdriver.

you can forget about passing emissions ;)
      2000 GTP<br />Thrasher CAI, 3.4\" pulley, DHP PCM<br />Member RedLineVSix<br />Best ET-14.02<br />Best Trap-97.15

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Slam32:
        How do I gut my cat?<hr></blockquote>

Don't. :rolleyes: [img]graemlins/thumbsdown.gif[/img]

Illegal and no real performance pick up. Just go buy a highflow cat for $50.
        -James<br /><br />\'96 3.8L A4 Camaro (SOLD)

Comment

Thanks, is there a high flow cat that I can install myself?? and how do I take the cat off? is there anysite with installion insructions?

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Slam32:
            Thanks, is there a high flow cat that I can install myself?? and how do I take the cat off? is there anysite with installion insructions?<hr></blockquote>

Not unless you can weld exhaust. Just take it to an exhaust shop. They should put it on for about $30.

Comment

I mean im not an environmentalist, but if you remove your cat, you might as well open up a coal power plant. ;) . Its just not worth gutting.
              1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
              1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

Hey you can pass emisions with a gutted cat my friend has a Grand Natioanal that runs lean and it still passes emissions. You will notice performnace gain and think about it how would a high flow cat that still has something in it be better then a gutted cat that has nothing its just commom sense.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blackv6:
                  Hey you can pass emisions with a gutted cat my friend has a Grand Natioanal that runs lean and it still passes emissions. You will notice performnace gain and think about it how would a high flow cat that still has something in it be better then a gutted cat that has nothing its just commom sense.<hr></blockquote>

I think 12sec (James) ran faster w/ cat on than with straight pipe. He can correct me if I'm wrong... ;)

Comment

Yeah but could he run even faster?

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by blackv6:
                      Yeah but could he run even faster?<hr></blockquote>

...by doing?

Comment

By gutting his cat, more flow= more power.

Comment

Ok guys here is the story. Every car is going to run its best with a certin amount of back pressure. The reason James' car ran faster with the cat is that he was not creating enough back pressure without it to make the car run at its optimum performance. On a stock car it will be faster with the cat on.

And as far as a high flow cat being better, this is also only true on a mostly stock car. My car is a little more heavily modified than most of the cars on this board and it saw FAR better performance with the cat "gutted". My 436 camaro picked up about 8-10 rwhp when I gutted that cat, but again higher horse motors need to flow more exhuast gas.

And finally, if you want to gut the cat properly, a long screwdriver will not do it, more like a crowbar. If you need any further instruction let me know, I have gutted a million of these things.
                          3.8, 4-speed auto, 3.73 posi, custom functional ram air, Flowmaster single chamber, custom bent exhaust, wings west ground f/x, custom glow in the dark paint job w/ racing stripes etc.....<br />Soon: new racing motor(still a V6), and dual stage NX.

Comment

how could u say u have moredone than most people on this board? almost every person has exhaust and the other simple mods like you. and black v6 how did u get a 97 mph trap speed? holy crap thats high

Comment

It was done with a G tech its really about 93- 94 mph. The G Tech is normally about 3 mph off. I use the Gect more has a way to see if my mods make a difference.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X