the preformance package

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the preformance package

hi, i have a 96 firebird witj the factory preformance package (lsd, better brakes, and different mufflers) i was wondering what i can do to make it faster, and maybe a bit louder thanks

I started off with a flowmaster then work my way up to borla cat back exhaust. I went withe the peroformance air lid plus the filter. I then shifted to rk sports headers. Headers with the cat back is a plus!!

Comment

dont get a flowmaster, i did and i hate it, you can probably find a few topics where i complain all about it, it sounds terrible, except at idle, i would go with a TSP rumbler or a loudmouth if you want REALLY loud, but even mabe a Z28 takeoff will work well if you dont want too much noise. If you dont already have one, a KN filter is pretty much a necessity, then get a new airbox lid, then exhaust, then cold air, doesnt have to be in that order though. Those are pretty much the basics to start with, then headers, ported heads, cam, ect...(FFF kit [img]smile.gif[/img] )
      2000 Navy Blue T-top Camaro A4<br />TSP Rumbler <br />Carsound Hi-flo Cat<br />!MAF screen<br />Whisper lid<br />HPP3

Comment

pacesetters, hi flow cat, loudmouth, yes! Whisper lid and k&n filter, then 100 shot of nitrous, you should be well in the 13s, 12s if youre a good enough driver [img]smile.gif[/img]
        \'99 SSM Camaro V6 M5<br />(mod list on cardomain site; too long to list here)<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/v6cam99\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/v6cam99</a>

Comment

The SLP Loudmouth is annoyingly loud, you could do the same with any NICE cat-back and a cut-out. That way you could be nice and rumbly with your cat-back, or open up your cut-out and be insanely loud when you want. If this is your daily driver, trust me, you don't want it to be THAT loud all the time cuz it'll drive you, your passengers (especially females), and your neighbors crazy. Not to mention it's so loud its illegal in most areas, you'll get tickets for sure in any city.
          2002 Black Firebird:<br />A4, Y87, W68, T-tops<br />Best NA ET: 15.16 @ 90<br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/darksde02\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/darksde02</a>

Comment

For the 96 you'll want the SLP cold-air intake. Then either a replacement muffler or an entire cat-back depending on your funds. Replace the converter with a high-flow cat and you may want to look into headers. And most importantly, make sure to keep the maintenance up! Plugs, wires, filters, fluids.
            1994 Firebird 3.4<br />15.65 @ 86.8<br /><a href=\"http://www.funkz.net/firebird.htm\" target=\"_blank\">funkz.net/firebird</a><br /><a href=\"http://mywebpages.comcast.net/funkz/timeslips.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Timeslips</a>

Comment

punchout your cat and add o2 sims for $88.95 from summit racing. i did that it gave me about 8-10 hp, sounds better, and i get better mileage.

i dont think it is worse for the atmosphere since i get about 2-3 mpg better. less exhaust in our atmosphere in my opinion is better. start with headers and a decent exhaust. then get wires, intake, P&P your TB, get a TB spacer, this will be all for about $300 or so and will give you a total of probably 20-25 hp(not including headers $225-$500). well worth it, but do it all at once so you can feel the gain better and be more satisfied with your mods. all this will give you better mileage too so you cant loose, unless your faster car makes you punch it more.

also remember to do research and buy good mods the first time.

P.S. i ruined my rksport muffler and but my stocker back on and i like the quiteness of my car WAY WAY better. if your exhaust flows good already then punch the cat and get headers. that will make it sound plenty good and will be cheaper
              96 Camaro 3.8 A4 Basemodel: 8 mm wires, Shift Kit, Hollowed <br />Cat(o2 sims), RKSport exhaust, IAT 5.6K resistor, Home Depot CAI<br />&gt;&gt;&gt;15.375 @ 89.27&lt;&lt;&lt;NEW BEST TIME <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/552491\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/552491</a>

Comment

CoughCough tampering with cat is a FELONY CaughCaugh
                2000 Navy Blue T-top Camaro A4<br />TSP Rumbler <br />Carsound Hi-flo Cat<br />!MAF screen<br />Whisper lid<br />HPP3

Comment

Good luck getting caught be someone who gives a flip (where I'm from anyways).... My other truck has a straight pipe on it, no cat, no muffler, I've never been pulled over for it and it is insanely loud. Most people I know (around me on Oklahoma) ditch their cats.

I've never seen people get so fed up with cats and the laws like on this board... That may be different if I was from California I guess.
                  2001 V6 Camaro - VTEC Badged, Abbott Racing Heads Sticker, and Loud A$$ Exhaust<br /><br /><b>BUILT NOT BOUGHT</b><br /><br />14.0 @ 96.44 MPH (Street Tires, Before Tranny)<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/6pakcamaro54\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/6pakcamaro54</a>

Comment

here in good ole arlington, quite a few of the cops are @ssholes and they will pull you over and check your exhaust out. Its already happened to me, and my flo is not even loud.

[ December 15, 2004, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: chadder ]

Comment

go ahead, check out my exhaust!!!!

first of all I "punched out" my cat, i didnt remove it. My cat is still there :rolleyes:

second, what cop is actually going to get his lil shoes dirty and look underneath one of our cars.

PUNCH THE SUCKER OUT!!!!!!

edited: ha ha, the cat not the cop [img]graemlins/twak.gif[/img]

the cat actually working is a theory anyway. like i said before, it gave me better mileage so its less exhaust for the air. if you think a screen is actually going to keep exhaust out of the air, your crazy. I have read in the past several experiments with cats. they are basically an excuse to make everyone pay for taps. now if your car has bad rings or valve seats and your blowing smoke out of your car like no other, then yeah thats bad,

matter cannot be created nor destroyed, exhaust is exhaust. maybe a little is turned into water, but then there is that much more that has to be turned into water, because it causes you to have that much worse of mileage.

anyways, lets keep it back to the first post so this guy can get helped out.
                      96 Camaro 3.8 A4 Basemodel: 8 mm wires, Shift Kit, Hollowed <br />Cat(o2 sims), RKSport exhaust, IAT 5.6K resistor, Home Depot CAI<br />&gt;&gt;&gt;15.375 @ 89.27&lt;&lt;&lt;NEW BEST TIME <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/552491\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/552491</a>

Comment

I say, go w/ headers, high flow cat, 3" piping all the way, and a flowmaster muffler. I've heard some people say they don't like the flowmaster, but I love mine. Everyone that talks to me thinks my car is an V8. I've heard the TSP rumbler and the loudmouth... both are ridiculously loud. If you want super loud, then add an electronic cut out. Then go w/ a cold air intake, k&n filter, and you'll be in good shape. Then you can move to the more dramatic stuff like nitrous or supercharger or cams and all that good stuff.
                        \'97 Camaro 3.8L

Comment

the cat actually working is a theory anyway. like i said before, it gave me better mileage so its less exhaust for the air. if you think a screen is actually going to keep exhaust out of the air, your crazy. I have read in the past several experiments with cats. they are basically an excuse to make everyone pay for taps. now if your car has bad rings or valve seats and your blowing smoke out of your car like no other, then yeah thats bad,

matter cannot be created nor destroyed, exhaust is exhaust. maybe a little is turned into water, but then there is that much more that has to be turned into water, because it causes you to have that much worse of mileage.
                          So your opinion is that a catalytic converter is just a conspiracy by the government for the end means of...????

Your lack of knowledge on how a catalytic convertor reduces pollutants in the air does not render a catalytic converter ineffective. Just means you should pick up a book or hit Google and read how they work.

Your claim that your extra 2-3 mpg you get without the convertor makes up for the extra pollutants you are putting in the air is laughable.

Someone taking off their cat has never bothered me but for someone to basically say that the cat is a worthless government mandate and it actually hurts the environment by decreasing gas mileage is, at best, bizarre and ignorant.

I have no doubt you got better gas mileage without it (although your claim of 2-3 mpg increase seems suspect), but the few extra mpg you got DOES NOT cancel out the extra pollutants you put in the air.

To the original poster, I have a Rumbler and High flow cat and I am happy with it. However, it depends on the sound you are looking for. The Rumbler is without a doubt loud.

EDIT:
                          you think a screen is actually going to keep exhaust out of the air, your crazy.
                          Ever taken Chemistry? Ever heard of a catalyst?

matter cannot be created nor destroyed,
                          True. Although it can be converted.

Hmm, Catalytic Converter. Do you get it now?

Sorry, if I am coming on strong here. For whatever reason your post irked me a little bit.

[ December 17, 2004, 11:58 PM: Message edited by: mjparme ]
                          SLP CAI, K&N, Whisper Lid, 180* thermo, manual fan switch, 3.42 gears, Auburn Pro LSD, Wester\'s PCM Tuning, TSP Rumbler, High Flow Cat. Best Time: 9.909@71.58 (1/8 mile)

Comment

I have a 3in Magnaflow catback. It's not really droning at all, but does get raspy when u punch it. It's a good trade off though for a daily driver, if u dont want drone when u drive alot. The addition of my Whisper Lid was by far the best thing done to my car, well except for the exhaust.
                            If sex is a pain in the *** you\'re doing it wrong!!! (Rodney Daingerfield)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                              New Owner!
                              by LETZRIDE
                              I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                              4 days ago
                            • ssms5411
                              Little work today
                              by ssms5411
                              Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                              2 weeks ago
                            • LETZRIDE
                              Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                              by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                              Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                              By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                              Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                              02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X