do i realy need a cat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do i realy need a cat.

by law the answer is yes. but will my car like it better or will it pi$$ off my computer. i am cheap and don't want to buy a new one.
    1995 trans am

What year car do ya have
    97 Red Firebird<br />Best N/A 1/4: 13.98<br />Best N/A MPH: 96.13<br />Best Nitrous 1/4: 12.49<br />Best Nitrous MPH: 108.53<p>2001 Pewter Camaro SS <br />GTP Stage II Heads, Pig Cam, Holley Intake, SLP Headers, SLP Lid, Vigalante 3600 Stall Converter, MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust, Duel Electric Cut-Outs<br />11.26@121

Comment

95' 3.4 a4 [img]smile.gif[/img]
      1995 trans am

Comment

So you lose 0.5% of your horsepower and torque ... you're also polluting 300 times less with a cat ... one catless car will put out the emissions of a hundred if not a thousand catted cars ... Not exactly worth it to me. Get a high-flow if you must (but these may be bad for the enviro just not as bad, and therefore legal).
        (well, i'im about to restrict -- thinner diameter gasket / metal plate -- block-off my EGR ... so who's fooling who
        -Rob
        <b>97 Camaro 3.8L M5</b><br />Car for sale<a href=\"http://terpmotors.com\" target=\"_blank\">terpmotors.com</a> Terrapin Motorsports! UMCP

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by bpipe:
          95' 3.4 a4 [img]smile.gif[/img] <hr></blockquote>

No problem with SES light then, only thing you had to worry about was bad o2 readings but your are after the manifolds so you are in good shape. The majority says you will lose low end tourque and gain high end, I have never saw any numbers to back this up and have not felt a difference in mine so you be the judge of that, even if it is no big deal really.
          97 Red Firebird<br />Best N/A 1/4: 13.98<br />Best N/A MPH: 96.13<br />Best Nitrous 1/4: 12.49<br />Best Nitrous MPH: 108.53<p>2001 Pewter Camaro SS <br />GTP Stage II Heads, Pig Cam, Holley Intake, SLP Headers, SLP Lid, Vigalante 3600 Stall Converter, MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust, Duel Electric Cut-Outs<br />11.26@121

Comment

1995 trans am

Comment

With my MSD box, Accel coils, and MSD wires, I actually tested better on my emissions test with the cat gutted than with it installed and intact. I do, however, have a high-flow one installed now due to performance gains with that cat installed. I wouldn't recommend that you gut it, you DO lose power...but it sounds good!
              - Josh<br />If you have any questions or need installation pics/help, e-mail me: Viper98885@aol.com<br /><a href=\"http://Camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/viper98885\" target=\"_blank\">\'93 Camaro Hardtop</a><br /><a href=\"http://Camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/01lincolnls8\" target=\"_blank\">\'01 Lincoln LS8 Sport</a><br />\'00 Yamaha YZF-R6<br /><a href=\"http://www.ftpp.net\" target=\"_blank\">Full Throttle Performance</a>

Comment

i recommend using hi-flow instead of gutting. just my $0.02.
                ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

I ran open Y-pipe, and no CAT, I ran about .6 seconds slower in the 1/4, I put the CAT back on and ran .6 faster then without it. Get a hi-flow.

If we had a 350 lbs. of torque, a downgrade to ~300 lbs of torque wouldn't be so bad. But you would go form 200 lbs. of torque to like 160. Really affecting your car.

Comment

ok then with that said what size in /out do i need i searched but did not find... so give me the size or better yet the part nuber for the
                    catco cat in summit.

thanks guys, for the help
                    man i love this site
                    1995 trans am

Comment

I'm not too sure on your car, but most stock cats are 3" in and 2.25" out. I'm going with 3" in and out. Part #CTO6007
                      <b>99 Camaro Z28 A4</b><br />R.I.P. 00 Firebird 3.8<br />14.89 @ 90, 2.03 60\'

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X