Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust resonators?

Hey,
    I have a 3.4 liter camaro w/ 80 series dual exhaust, and straight pipe in place of cat. I was told if i put an exhaust resonator on, i would have a deeper tone at higher rpms. The problem is @2500rpm and higher the exhaust gets a high pitched crappy sound to it.would the resonator fix this? what is a resonator? and where can i get one? Thanx a lot for ur help, ur answers are appreciated!

slp loudmouth has a 3" pipe to a 4" resonator to dual tips, sounds badass... a resonator is just a smaller pipe to a bigger pipe back to a smaller pipe to help make the exhaust sound "resonate"... i wouldn't do a resonator and a muffler though just because its defeating the purpose, i suggest one or the other, im sure a muffler shop can do a custom one for you... good luck
    merlin

[ April 25, 2002: Message edited by: redbird00 ]</p>
    2002 Firebird<br />2003 Yamaha YZF 600R

Comment

I used a glass pack as a resonator... took alot of the riceyness out of the high rpms... kinda like my car went through puberty or something
      99 3800 NBM Camaro - (Xcessive Xcelleration Racing Team)<br />Ram/Cold Air Induction (custom)<br />Modified 4l60e Valve Body<br />Z28 Catback<br />SS Hood <br />Modified 99 GM 3800II <br />JB Performance Engineering<br />jfbperformance@cox.net

Comment

When you put the glass pack on, did it make the over all sound quieter or louder? Does it give or take horsepower? Thanx alot for ur help.
        Nick

Comment

Put a Dynomax Bullet muffler, or a Borla XR-1 Race muffler on your I pipe. The straight through mufflers with the sound absorbing walls in the sides of them.

Scott

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by redbird00:
            a resonator is just a smaller pipe to a bigger pipe back to a smaller pipe to help make the exhaust sound "resonate"... <hr></blockquote>

A resonator is a single chambered muffler. It has sound dampening material in it just like a muffler does. A glass pack is basically a resonator. It's called a resonator because it creates distructive interference. It does this best at it's resonant frequency, which depends on the length and width of the chamber. This is usually designed such that it removes noise most efficiently at cruising speeds.

A resonator should tone down the exhaust note a little. I have one... I got it to reduce noise at cruise. It works alright for that. A few people have added them in the I-pipe to reduce raspiness and deepen the exhaust note.

[ April 26, 2002: Message edited by: HAZ-Matt ]</p>
            Matt<br />2000 Firebird<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/index.php?\" target=\"_blank\">FullThrottleV6.com</a>

Comment

you dont need a resonator, its a waste.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X