Air Temperature Module?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Temperature Module?!?

Anyone have this in their car? I've seen it at SLP for like $20-$25. Its supposed to add like 5-7 horsepower...is this thing even worth it? I dont think is because i think it works better with premium fuel. But i want to hear someone's opinion. [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
    <b>.::[ 0 ]::.</b><br /><b>1997 Camaro 3800 II M5</b> (30th edition)<br />[]B&M Ripper Shifter<br />[]Proform Shift Light<br />[]SLP Cold Air<br />[]Dynomax Exhaust<br />[]Richmond 3.73\'s<br />[]Zexel-Torsen LSD<br />[]180* Thermostat<br />[]Tail Blackouts<br /><a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/skyracer_x\" target=\"_blank\">pics</a>

It's not worth it. I don't have it, but I have read some responses of people who do and they say it's not worth it. Plus, just think about what it does. It just tricks the computer into thinking the air in the intake is cooler than it is. So, you could do that mod for free. Just re-wire the IAT sensor down closer to the filters so the air actually would be cooler.

Just my 2 cents.
    Mods include: SLP CAI, 2.5\" Dynomax catback exhaust, Bosch Platinum spark plugs, Taylor 8mm Spiro ignition wires, Eibach Prokit springs

Comment

i have the mod and i have checked results using scan tool. looks like you do get a few more degrees of peak ign timing advance with it. just get a resistor and plug it in to where the sensor plugs in to.
      ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

It's just a resistor. Don't buy it from SLP, don't buy it from eBay. Don't buy an ATM at all ... go to radio shack and buy a $0.50 resistor or whatever ... you could probably get a 1000 pack from digikey and give them out to every board member for the price of the ATM (Which is a fancy plastic snap in resistor). If you want to experiment, get ATAP, a dyno, and the $0.50 resistor, and see if it's any good. But others have done this ... see http://eric.virginia.com/install_uni...m_9.202000.htm
        which is an article debating this very topic. And, damnit ... don't pay more than $.50 for this ... don't. stop giving the eBay kiddies business. If you must, there is someone selling all three kits -- ATM, !CAGS, and the !TBcoolant kit for like $2.50 total. That's a good buy, because it all comes together.
        [edit]Damnit, this REALLY REALLY REALLY AGRIVATE ME. THERE ARE LIKE a dozen + people who have bid on the $12 eBay "CAMARO TIMING ADVANCE KIT THAT ADDS 20 RWHP". All they are buying is a $.50 resistor, that MIGHT net 1-2 rwhp. AAAAARGHH ... STOP BEING SO STUPID.[/edit]
        [edit2]AND THE BEST PART IS THAT THE EBAY KID IS CHARGING $4 for SHIPPING AND HANDLING. DAMN HE IS MAKING A KILLING! STOP F'ing BUYING THESE BS KITS. STOP. STOP.[/edit2]

Later,
        -Rob

[ March 05, 2002: Message edited by: Wicked 3800 V6 ]

[ March 05, 2002: Message edited by: Wicked 3800 V6 ]</p>
        <b>97 Camaro 3.8L M5</b><br />Car for sale<a href=\"http://terpmotors.com\" target=\"_blank\">terpmotors.com</a> Terrapin Motorsports! UMCP

Comment

marco, i too have it on my car and its a piece of sh!t. I noticed no gains at all, and for the money i spent on it i could have gotten a bad *** wax job or something. Dont buy it. Do the 4.7ohm resistor mod.(IAT mod)
          1998 Red Firebird A4 3.8L (3.08)<br />Dynomax bullet then dumped, Carsound cat, NGKTR55 plugs, Taylor Pro 8mm, Hypertech 160*, Whisper Lid, k&n,!FRA, Lifted Airbox<br />(2) Audiobahn 10\" subs<br /> Sony Xplod MP3 Head unit/interchangeable Color Display

Comment

I didnt think it was any good. but i hadnt heard of that resistor mod. I might give it a try. Thanks guys.
            <b>.::[ 0 ]::.</b><br /><b>1997 Camaro 3800 II M5</b> (30th edition)<br />[]B&M Ripper Shifter<br />[]Proform Shift Light<br />[]SLP Cold Air<br />[]Dynomax Exhaust<br />[]Richmond 3.73\'s<br />[]Zexel-Torsen LSD<br />[]180* Thermostat<br />[]Tail Blackouts<br /><a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/skyracer_x\" target=\"_blank\">pics</a>

Comment

you wont notice a 1-5hp gain in your pants, or at the track, too many inconsistensies.

IMO unless you see 3 or more hp on a dyno back to back, its not worth doing.
              2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
              Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

The IAT only provides input to the computer during cold starts and at WOT - that is the ONLY time this mod will work and ONLY on warm days.

Don't waste your money.
                Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

[img]graemlins/thumbsdown.gif[/img] he module also disables some f-body's air conditioners! i know, it did it to mine.

Admin's, we should put this info in the mod review section(if its not already in there, haven't looked in a while)

[img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
                  ~Derrick <a href=\"http://www.appstate.edu/~do54457/\" target=\"_blank\"><i>My Webpage</i></a><br /><b>\'96 3.8L V6 M5 Firebird Y87</b> | <b>162.8 RWHP</b> / <b>196.7 RWTQ</b> <br /><b>•</b> SLP CAI <b>•</b> <a href=\"http://tech.firebirdv6.com/y87.html\" target=\"_blank\"><b>Y87</b> Package</a> - 3.23s <b>•</b> 180º thermo w/ fan switch <b>•</b> TB spacer from DEE<br />1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4

Comment

how does it disable the a/c?

i had a 4.7k resister in my iat sensor and my a/c went out

maybe there's a connection?
                    1996 Polo Green Metallic Firebird V6 3800 A4 - <i><a href=\"http://personal.bellsouth.net/lig/j/h/jhooks2/index.html\" target=\"_blank\">The Green Goblin</a></i>

Comment

Is a 10K resister good or should I get a 4.7K?
                      1995 Patriot Red T-Topped Z28 A4<br /><br />Mystery rebuild in progress.<br /><br />Soon to have 383 ways to beat KBreezy and Shane. :D

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jp:
                        how does it disable the a/c?

i had a 4.7k resister in my iat sensor and my a/c went out

maybe there's a connection?
                        <hr></blockquote>

If the PCM thinks it's too cold it won't let the A/C compressor come on to protect it. Like I said, don't waste your money and time on a ATM or a resistor. How long due you run the engine cold or WOT? The rest of the time the "mod" isn't doing anything but screwing up things like the A/C.
                        Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X