Do headers replace the exhaust manifold? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do headers replace the exhaust manifold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i would suggest to everyone not to buy rksport headers. the flanges were warped to hell on mine, and after 5 attempts to fix the constant leaking, they had to be welded to the y-pipe. my shop contacted rksport on this, and they said in a nutshell "tough ****". i tried emailing them, but they never responded.
    i've heard of other people who have had the same problems. if i could do it again, i'd take clear image headers in a second.

Comment

So from what i can tell of what everyone has said so far...the headers are a simple bolt-on relpacement for the exhaust manifolds, with no modifications necessary. right? as in, remove manifolds, put on headers, and bolt up the existing pipe directly to it. Am i correct in my understanding?
      1996 Red Camaro 3.8L<br />Details, you say? Go here.<br /><a href=\"http://www.angelfire.com/trek/brl866s/camaro.html\" target=\"_blank\">Slick Red</a><p>\"A Great Warrior defeats his enemies by smashing their fists with his face.\" - A Great Warrior

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by treklav:
        So from what i can tell of what everyone has said so far...the headers are a simple bolt-on relpacement for the exhaust manifolds, with no modifications necessary. right? as in, remove manifolds, put on headers, and bolt up the existing pipe directly to it. Am i correct in my understanding?<hr></blockquote>

Nope, not quite. They are a bolt-on replacement for the stock exhaust manifolds, but they're about the biggest pain in the @$$ you can imagine. (Actually, it's worse getting the stock manifolds off than it was bolting up the new headers.) There might be some slight "adjustments" you need to make to get them to fit. I know at least a couple of people have had issues with the driver's-side RKSport header clear a bolt. On the CIA headers all you might need to do is nudge the AC lines aside a bit. (I just had to push mine over about 1/2" to the left.)

Overall, I wouldn't really recommend headers as a modification unless you're going to be running forced induction. If you're running naturally aspirated, all headers do is let you change your spark plugs more easily (for the tune of several hundred dollars, of course.).

Also, if you decide that you ARE going to buy headers, then buy the ceramic coated. It just doesn't make sense not to.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and you also HAVE to change the Y-pipe as well when you put on the headers. They will NOT bolt up to your stock Y-pipe.

-James

[ May 28, 2002: Message edited by: RacerJ ]</p>
        -James<br /><br />\'96 3.8L A4 Camaro (SOLD)

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by bluecmaro96:
          Well thats messed up because my triflow had the i pipe but not an s pipe attached<hr></blockquote>

My B&B Tri-flow has a single piece I-pipe with the "S" bend, matching the stock I-pipe configuration. The outlet pipe of the cat will not connect to the I-pipe without a little "jog" in the I-pipe - the "S" bend.
          Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Well thats messed up because my triflow had the i pipe but not an s pipe attached<hr></blockquote>

I think the reason that some don't have the S-pipe is that (according to the exhaust shop across the street from my work) they're not supposed to change the stock S-pipe or anything before it. So I guess some companies might not make it since it's not legal for sale in some places (and they can save money by only having to manufacture one part).
            -James<br /><br />\'96 3.8L A4 Camaro (SOLD)

Comment

OK, Just to be SUPER clear for this guy, here's the deal.

If all you want to do is replace your exhaust headers, you'll have to take the old ones off, remove the stock y-pipe, put the new headers on then put on the new y-pipe.

Everything else could be left alone.

-Brian
              Maroon 1995 Camaro<br />No mods yet...<br />Lucky to have found this site!

Comment

i'm thinking you got the one for the dual cat setup.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Brian Dieckman:
                OK, Just to be SUPER clear for this guy, here's the deal.

If all you want to do is replace your exhaust headers, you'll have to take the old ones off, remove the stock y-pipe, put the new headers on then put on the new y-pipe.

Everything else could be left alone.

-Brian
                <hr></blockquote>

there's also the O2 sensors to unhook and re-hook. i think i'm missing something else.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                  New Owner!
                  by LETZRIDE
                  I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                  4 days ago
                • ssms5411
                  Little work today
                  by ssms5411
                  Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                  2 weeks ago
                • LETZRIDE
                  Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                  by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                  Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                  By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                  Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                  02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X