Sealing the airbox hole??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sealing the airbox hole??

I noticed that fasttoys and slp ramair has a rubber seal that's suppose to be used to seal off the stock hole on the airbox. Why is that?? Does that also apply with the free ram air? I thought they both can be used for more air. I did the free ram air awhile ago and sealing the stock hole doesn't sound right.

[ March 08, 2002: Message edited by: shortdog273 ]</p>
    <b>99 Camaro Z28 A4</b><br />R.I.P. 00 Firebird 3.8<br />14.89 @ 90, 2.03 60\'

Well, i don't have either the free ram air or a little scoop, but from what i can tell, you seal the front inlet because of the supposed "mild supercharger effect"...if anyone else has thoughts, i'm welcome to them, too [img]smile.gif[/img]

if you were going really fast and the scoop works as advertised, then the airbox will be slightly pressurized (attempting to force air down the throttle body); if the front end isn't sealed, then instead of going down the engine's throat, it will just push itself out the original inlet.
    make sense?

the speed you would have to go to get what pressure can be determined...sort of, but i don't feel like doing it right now [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Your sig is the most important part of your message. Make sure that you list EVERY single thing that you have done to your car so that we can all go \'oooh!\' and \'Ah!\'. Please make your sig consistently longer than anything else you post. Please include your lengthy sig with EVERY single post you make during a reply, even if you only reply with a monosyllable grunt.

Comment

Some guy on this board said he decided to remove the rubber seal and notice his exhaust tone got deeper. I didn't notice any difference when I did the free ram air, but I didn't seal off the front stock hole neither. So, could that be the reason the FRA is not effective?? Anybody?
      <b>99 Camaro Z28 A4</b><br />R.I.P. 00 Firebird 3.8<br />14.89 @ 90, 2.03 60\'

Comment

Ideally you would want the airbox to be sealed. As mentioned in the previous post, if you are ramming air into the airbox, it is going to look for the least path of resistance to get out.
        It will also take away the "high-pressure" that is created from ramming the air in.
        \'02 3.8L, Pewter Metallic Camaro<br /> - Y87 Performance Package<br /> - T-Tops<br /> - Monsoon Audio<br /> * SLP CAI<br /> * Whisper Lid<br /> * K&N Filter

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X