Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '97 pacesetter install guide

this is copied from v6fbody.com

a moderator overthere wrote up a little install and i thought a few of you might find it useful.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>viper03af

Member #: 63,917
    Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:41 pm
    Post subject: 1997 3800 Header install Deatails, read

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Everyone, I just install PaceSetter Headers on my 97 3800 heres the details

what you need
    Metric tools, weches and sockets,
    3 inch extention, 6 inch extention
    plyers. welder, saw, few other things
    swivil, 2 PEOPLE

1 frist drive the car then let it cool about 45 mins, HINT PUT YOU HOOD UP cool faster

2 pull it up on ramps, block back tire e-break all that, saftey

3 get old Y pipe off there undo bolts and cut away from cat then, this gives you more room

4get the plug wires out of the way, then the plugs, Manofolds are still hot!! use gloves

5 no im not crazy your working while it cools this is why, start on the manifold bolts ASAP, when car warm they come out easy, i only had trouble with the vary last one i took out, driver side, 3rd bolt, bottom. theres studs with nuts on them, on that bolt the nut was free from the stud, then i got stud out after 15mins of playing with it. NOTE i had to put a stock stud in this hole, i dont know why but new ones would not go in

It wiil take longer to get stock manifolds out then the new headers in

6 the pass manifold will drop out the bottom, take the driver side out the top tricky but it will go. NOTE you need 2 people 1 under car and one under hood. you can take off the heat sheilds on the manafolds it helps a little. (have to anyway to get the O2 senors out)

7. as you take stock out have person thats not under car get out the O2 senors (or have new ones ready) mine came out easy 19mm. TAKE OFF HEAT SHEILDS. Then put them in the headers were they go.

8. most tricky part of the header install is getting the driver side in there, dont be fooled bye room on the driver side, the drive side will take longer to do almost everything, dont look like it. trust me it goes in, without removing any thing, from the bottom
    had to dent the frame a about 1/2 back to slip it in, NO BIGY

9. sealing, DO NOT GET THE FEL-PRO GASKETS THEY SUCK, I was frustrated with the leaks,so I tried stock ones, drive side sealed up, pass side did not , i cut my own gasket and used stock to get it to seal (yes both). if i had more time i would have got new stock ones from GM, call them they have exact ones you just took out, PARTS DEPOT at any gm dealer i would have those new ones before you start. use those. if does leak, it only takes about 20 min to take header off and move gasket a little, I SAY: make sure gasket is as far to the top as it can as this is were all me leaks was, top and just to left when looking at them.

I got a sheet from autzone and tried making my own gaseket, it almost worked this is how i know were it was leaking, but with my homeade gasket and the stock one it sealed, with new stock, you should not have problem.

new headers are easy to bolt in just start in the center and work outwards, then back to center till everything is snug. put ypipe on snug up bolts, weld to cat. thats about all, i used old lug nuts as spacers on the flang bolts so i could make it tighter helps ALOT

ADVIES TO GET NEW HIGH FLOW CAT , I HAVE CATCO, AND 2 1/2 CAT BACK PIPES, CAMARO V8 80 SERIES FLOWMASTER FROM SUMMIT 3 INCH IN AND DUAL 2 1/2 OUT, SOUND LIKE V8 TILL ABOUT 3500RPM

Pros
    more top end power, lol, i can cherp going into 4 gear!!!! WOW
    better sound
    even with 195 thermo temp stay at 180 now
    cleans up bay
    change spark plugs and wires in 20-40 mins, YES I SAID 20 MINS, i had a miss took out every plug and checked it in 20mins, From the top only!!!!!
    O2 replacement is snap
    BETTER GAS MILeAGE
    NO CODES
    loooks great
    LUB LUB LUB LUB LUB GRR GRR LUB LUB KILL LUB THE GRR RICE LUB LUB OH YEAH
    headers have pulation and O2 hook up built in. came with new header bolts and flang bolts
    cant think of any cons, ones there are only for install
    using gtech pro 3 runs showed gain of 13-29 RWHP

CONS
    costly TO BUY
    need time
    freaking polution cotroll on driver side is hard to seal, cut one out from the sheet i got at auto zone WORKS GREAT NO LEAK
    center plug on pass side, shave down a 5/8 socket till you can get over the plug, or bye shorty plugs no biggy
    ummm cant really think of any more
    umm
    ahh
    you get my point

gaskets are meltle, you can take haeders on and off till you get seal,

any qestions why i did or did not do something please ask, or if you need more detail on certan things let me know, e-mail or im me viper03af@aol.com

[/u][/i][/b]

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
    Visit My F-Body Page

and yes, his hp gains do seem a bit high.

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
    Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

Well he got those numbers from a gtech pro. The G-Tech can give you pretty accurate numbers if you calibrate correctly.

To get your HP number you have to enter a pretty accurate weight of your car (with driver).
      SLP CAI, K&N, Whisper Lid, 180* thermo, manual fan switch, 3.42 gears, Auburn Pro LSD, Wester\'s PCM Tuning, TSP Rumbler, High Flow Cat. Best Time: 9.909@71.58 (1/8 mile)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X