Is it the "S" pipe I need??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it the "S" pipe I need??

I got a 2.5 inch exhaust pipe installed on my car, but they had to cut it about 1-2 feet before the cat.converter. Meineke claimed they will have to move the cat.converter up(cut the y pipe down)to put on more of a straight pipe and that's more money. Is it the S pipe I need to connect the two? If so, where can I get one?

[ January 02, 2002: Message edited by: shortdog273 ]</p>
    <b>99 Camaro Z28 A4</b><br />R.I.P. 00 Firebird 3.8<br />14.89 @ 90, 2.03 60\'

sounds like your getting ripped a new one.. Did they just put on a 2.5 cat back system if so why would they have to even touch the cat?

Comment

Naw, I just got the exhaust pipe from them. I told them to hold off on the crap they said they had to do to connect it to the cat. The end of the pipe is straight and wasn't a S shape. I'm pretty sure a few other people are having the same problem.

Comment

If you just got the pipe from them, that goes from your cat over the axle to your muffler, then there is no way that they should have to move anything around. It will bolt right up to the cat with a reducer, really very simple. They are just trying to get more money out of you.

Scott

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Scott Black:
          If you just got the pipe from them, that goes from your cat over the axle to your muffler, then there is no way that they should have to move anything around. It will bolt right up to the cat with a reducer, really very simple. They are just trying to get more money out of you.

Scott
          <hr></blockquote>

What's a reducer? Maybe that's what I need.

Comment

You can create the s-pipe (the pipe from the cat that ties into the i-pipe that goes to the muffler) by getting two 90 degree mandrel bends from JCWhitney. I just ordered mine.

[ January 03, 2002: Message edited by: AMinor65 ]</p>
            <b>1998 Firebird 3800 Series II, A4</b><br />Direct-Flo Lid,K&N Filter,DEE TB Spacer,TPS-TEC,ZZP Mini-AFC,Raised and Cutout Airbox 7mm,BMR STB & Boxed LCAs,KYB AGX Shocks,Drilled/Slotted Rotors,180* Thermo,2.5\" Catco Cat,Dynomax 2.75\" custom catback,Kumho Ecstas/245,Jet Stage 2,3.42,Edge Racing 2870 Stall,B&M Tranny Cooler,B&M Deep Tranny Pan,LSD,AAM Girdle,1LE DS,NX Wet Kit,MSD DIS-4,MSD Blaster Coil Packs,Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires,NGK TR6\'S gapped .045,ZZP UD WP Pulley,SLP Fan Switch,TT II\'s<br />N/A: 15.6342 @ 88.44 (On stock converter. Strugglin\' to beat it.)<br />Nitrous 50 Shot: 14.7463 @ 93.49

Comment

Thanx for the info man. I noticed some catbacks don't even have the S shape at the end of their pipe going to the cat.converter. Alot of people on this board are going through the same problem.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by shortdog273:
                I got a 2.5 inch exhaust pipe installed on my car, but they had to cut it about 1-2 feet before the cat.converter. Meineke claimed they will have to move the cat.converter up(cut the y pipe down)to put on more of a straight pipe and that's more money.<hr></blockquote>

That might flow slightly better than getting an s-pipe, but isn't really all that necessary, especially if they're gona charge you & arm & leg for it. I say screw them & find a nice, family-owned, ma & pa muffler shop & tell em you need to have this pipe/cat-back installed, period.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>
                Is it the S pipe I need to connect the two? If so, where can I get one?
                <hr></blockquote>

Yes. Most muffler shops can provide that for you, but it will be compressed-bent & not mandrel-bent. Mandrel will cost more, since those pipes retain the same diameter all through the pipe. Compressed pipes are more restrictive since the diameter is smaller at the bends.

[ January 03, 2002: Message edited by: Blac Drop Top ]</p>
                2002 Electron Blue Corvette<br />1999 Black Mazda Truck<p>AKA: Night Rider

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X