Exhaust Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Install

I'm gonna have my exhaust done starting with a 3"Highflow cat, custom S-Pipe, I-Pipe. Now when it comes down to the 02 sensor should I have the shop put a bung for the sensor or do they already know I will need it? Sorry if this sounds kind of dumb, but I want to know what I'm talking about when I go to the shop. Thanks. [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

[ May 16, 2002: Message edited by: RedFlare45 ]</p>
    1997 Red M5 3.8, 3.23 Gears<br /><b>Performance Mods:</b><br />SLP CAI, RKSport Headers, 3\" Catco Cat, 3\" Cut-Out, SLP S-Pipe, 3\"I-Pipe & over-axle (Custom from shop), Hooker Headers Muffler, Hooker Header Tips.<br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/redrider45\" target=\"_blank\"><b>My Ride</b></a>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by RedFlare45:
    ...Now when it comes down to the 02 sensor should I have the shop put a dung for the sensor or do they already know I will need it?...<hr></blockquote>

I think what you're after is a bung.
    Dung is something entirely different. ;)

They should know they have to, since I don't think there's any way for them to replace the cat without putting new ones in. But you can verify with your exhaust shop that they're going to do it.
    -James<br /><br />\'96 3.8L A4 Camaro (SOLD)

Comment

my bad. Yeah that's what I meant. It sounds pretty funny know that I read it again. Bung.
      1997 Red M5 3.8, 3.23 Gears<br /><b>Performance Mods:</b><br />SLP CAI, RKSport Headers, 3\" Catco Cat, 3\" Cut-Out, SLP S-Pipe, 3\"I-Pipe & over-axle (Custom from shop), Hooker Headers Muffler, Hooker Header Tips.<br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/redrider45\" target=\"_blank\"><b>My Ride</b></a>

Comment

Since I'm going with a high flow cat, should I put in an O2 Simm or will the existing O2 sensor do just fine?

Comment

The existing sensors should work.

...Ah, and you're in CA. FYI: Technically aftermarket cats aren't legal on our cars in CA. So watch out when you take the car for smogging.

Comment

Think I'll have a problem with a shop to install the cat converter?

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by RedFlare45:
              Think I'll have a problem with a shop to install the cat converter?<hr></blockquote>

Probably not, b/c it's a 5 yr. old car. Just tell em it smells like azz, so it's probably clogged & needs to be replaced anyway, & you couldn't afford the "direct replacement GM cat" so you got a universal catco.

They should also know they need to insert a dung, i mean bung ;) for your o2 sensor. As long as your 02 is functional shouldn't need the sims yet.
              <a href=\"http://groups.msn.com/WhoisNightRider/bluethunder.msnw\" target=\"_blank\">2002 Electron Blue Corvette Coupe</a><br /><i>13.083@108.23</i><br /><br /><a href=\"http://groups.msn.com/WhoisNightRider/redfire.msnw\" target=\"_blank\">2002 Metallic Red Grandprix GTP</a> <b>SOLD</b><br /><i>14.49@94.42 (Bone stock)</i><br /><br />2002 Black Convertible Camaro Z28<br /><i>times comming real soon!</i>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Night Rider:
                Probably not, b/c it's a 5 yr. old car. Just tell em it smells like azz, so it's probably clogged & needs to be replaced anyway, & you couldn't afford the "direct replacement GM cat" so you got a universal catco.<hr></blockquote>

You forget, this is California. The 5 year/50,000 mi. rule is completely irrelevant to this scenario. The issue is that the aftermarket catalytic converter, ANY aftermarket cat, is NOT LEGAL in California on any 1995 or newer vehicle which uses OBDII systems.

"Why?" you ask? Because California Air Resources Board (CARB) legislation states that any aftermarket catalytic converters for said vehicles must meet certain requirements. Those requirements have not yet been written. So, until they are, none are legal.

So what that means is, if the shop you go to goes by the book and realizes you have a 95+ vehicle, they won't put it on. And when you go to get smogged, if your smog tech goes by the book and realizes you have a 95+ vehicle with an aftermarket cat, then you won't get past visual inspection.

FIN.

Comment

Oh yeah, and it doesn't matter if the cat's damaged or bad or not. Even in that event, you have to get a certified stock replacement through a dealership.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by RacerJ:
                    Oh yeah, and it doesn't matter if the cat's damaged or bad or not. Even in that event, you have to get a certified stock replacement through a dealership.<hr></blockquote>

Could he gutt a stock gm replacement cat?
                    <a href=\"http://groups.msn.com/WhoisNightRider/bluethunder.msnw\" target=\"_blank\">2002 Electron Blue Corvette Coupe</a><br /><i>13.083@108.23</i><br /><br /><a href=\"http://groups.msn.com/WhoisNightRider/redfire.msnw\" target=\"_blank\">2002 Metallic Red Grandprix GTP</a> <b>SOLD</b><br /><i>14.49@94.42 (Bone stock)</i><br /><br />2002 Black Convertible Camaro Z28<br /><i>times comming real soon!</i>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Night Rider:
                      Could he gutt a stock gm replacement cat?<hr></blockquote>

You could but that would be a little obvious when you go to smog the car and the emissions are way off.

But then again, I'm not an advocate of gutting cats at all.

My note is merely a forewarning.
                      But if you're going to do something to the cat, just replace it with a high flow cat.

Comment

Well guys, I'm happy to report that I had the work done to my car. The shop guys did not ask any questions or say anything about the cat. My exhaust is pretty much done (missing headers :( ). The cutout sounds bad a**, that thing is crazy. Thanks for the help. [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                          New Owner!
                          by LETZRIDE
                          I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                          4 days ago
                        • ssms5411
                          Little work today
                          by ssms5411
                          Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                          2 weeks ago
                        • LETZRIDE
                          Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                          by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                          Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                          By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                          Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                          02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X