Cutout on a 3.8L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutout on a 3.8L

I'm planning on upgrading my exhaust to a Dynomax Super Turbo (waiting to be installed) with a 3" I-Pipe. I also ordered a 3" cutout, which was shipped today.
    I'm wondering what everyone things of a cutout on our 6s? I've done some searching and it looks like most people think it's a waste. Should I install it, or try to sell it to someone with a V8?

Matt
    Matt
    1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
    Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

I don't think its worth it on an M5. I think it shines the best with a High Stall/A4 combo.

I was talkin to Mike Huff about my open y-pipe results and how I picked up .2 and 2mph and he said he didn't gain a thing with open exhaust.

The M5 would need more down low torque to help get it off the line and no back pressure would remove the low end torque and replace it with upper end HP... but I don't think you would make enough HP in the big end to make up for the loss from less torque on the starting line.

As for the sound, well its terrible.. But the closer you put it to the y-pipe, the better it will sound. The more pipe the noise has to go through, the more nasty bumble bee resonance you will have.

Open y-pipe on my car sounds decent.. not really a bee sound, just loud v6.. if I unbolt the muffler and run open exhaust that way, it sounds TERRIBLE.. nasty sound. Its very embarrasing doing burnouts that way.

With the M5, you might be better off going to the off-road pipe/high-flow muffler combo with headers. That should provide a happy medium.

If you had a heads/cam + 3.73 gear setup in the M5, I think a cutout could help.

A little info about the cutout on the A4....
    I cut 1.84 60' and ran 14.32 with the muffler on the car.
    I then took the muffler off the car for the next weekend at the track and cut a 1.830 60' and ran a 14.29 with terrible tuning...

So if I really did lose torque with no back pressure, its odd how I was able to cut a better 60. Just a little something for those high stall A4 cars to think about.
    Keith - Chicago<br /><a href=\"http://www.hptuners.com\" target=\"_blank\">HP Tuners - PCM Reprogramming</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/\" target=\"_blank\">97 Firebird V6 to LS1 swap</a><br /><b>V8 9.967@132.78</b> 1.322 60\' NA Heads/Cam<br /><b>V8 10.295@128.48</b> 1.363 60\' NA Cam Only<br /><b>V8 10.987@119.31</b> 1.422 60\' NA Stock Internals<br /><b>V6 13.674@98.22</b> NA<br /><b>V6 12.394@104.91</b> N20 100HP

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
    Working...
    X