raised air box or free ram air?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raised air box or free ram air?

which has more gain: washers under the airbox or cutting out the bottom for free ram air? right now i have washers and i barely noticed anything but i could tell a difference. i read that its bad to do both? if thats true which one is better to do?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by clear:
    which has more gain: washers under the airbox or cutting out the bottom for free ram air? right now i have washers and i barely noticed anything but i could tell a difference. i read that its bad to do both? if thats true which one is better to do?<hr></blockquote>

The raised airbox will give you little or no gain. The WS6 trans ams have the raised airbox simply to allow the intake to line up with the feed from the ram air hood. If you are looking for a way to reduce the restrictiveness of your intake, you are better off going for the free air mod, which wont give you much in the way of forcing induction like a CAI kit or a ram air hood, but it WILL make it easier for your engine to bring in air, which will in turn give you a bit more power at the ground.
    Property of Dave Hamburger

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by clear:
      which has more gain: washers under the airbox or cutting out the bottom for free ram air? right now i have washers and i barely noticed anything but i could tell a difference. i read that its bad to do both? if thats true which one is better to do?<hr></blockquote>

Look on my website.....I have both done. The trick is to get as much air as possible to the intake. every little trick you can do will help.

Eric
      Eric

2005 Mustang 4.0
      1996 Camaro Conv
      2000 Ford Excursion

"Darkness Falls"

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by TheFireChicken:

The raised airbox will give you little or no gain. The WS6 trans ams have the raised airbox simply to allow the intake to line up with the feed from the ram air hood. If you are looking for a way to reduce the restrictiveness of your intake, you are better off going for the free air mod, which wont give you much in the way of forcing induction like a CAI kit or a ram air hood, but it WILL make it easier for your engine to bring in air, which will in turn give you a bit more power at the ground.
        <hr></blockquote>

You can never "FORCE" air into a motor at normal driving speeds, the only benefit you get is having colder and less restrictive air coming into your motor.
        <a href=\"http://pics.projectpredator.com/thumbnails.php?album=16\" target=\"_blank\">2003 Zinc Yellow Mustang GT</a> 1 of 701<br />ET : TBD<br />But our shenanigans are cheeky and fun! Yeah, and his shenanigans are cruel and tragic. Which... makes t

Comment

what do you call a turbo then?

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 98v6:
            what do you call a turbo then?<hr></blockquote>

He's obviously talking about N/A, read the whole post before replying :rolleyes:
            <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/briansr\" target=\"_blank\">97 White Pontiac Firebird 3.8 A4</a><br />Mods- 2.75\" exhaust, Dynomax muffler, magnaflow cat, SLP CAI, Hypertech 160* thermo, Fan switch<br />Suspension-Kumho Ecsta 712\'s, 32mm/19mm sway bars<br /><br />Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don\'t fail us now. <br />-Elwood Blues

Comment

I've heard of people that do both, the more air that can fit into there, the better. I did the free ram air and had a noticeable improvement on my top end pull. Plus it's free, so you can't beat that. The downside to it though is that your air filter gets dirty a lot quicker. So you'd just hafta clean out your K&N a bit more often, or whichever filter you have. I plan on raising my air box someday whenver I remember to grab some washers from the hardware store. Both help out though
              AIM: Alientr8tr<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/583450\" target=\"_blank\">1998 Camaro 3.8L</a><br />Flowmaster 80-series, !FRA, Eibach Springs, KYB AGX, SLP sway bars, 3.42/LSD, Wings West kit, Z06 Motorsports, Silverstone Metallic paint<br /><a href=\"http://www.shift5.com/\" target=\"_blank\">Shift 5</a> - My Band

Comment

Cut out the bottom of the airbox, like the free ram-air, but not the radiator shroud, and raise it up with the washers. You will get additional airflow from the air that flows over the radiator.
                I doubt that there is much performance difference between doing this and the free ram air, plus it's safer. The back half of my filter gets a little dirtier, which shows that air is reaching it from the back over the radiator.

Always understand a mod, before commenting or doing it. ;)
                <b>1998 Firebird 3800 Series II, A4</b><br />Direct-Flo Lid,K&N Filter,DEE TB Spacer,TPS-TEC,ZZP Mini-AFC,Raised and Cutout Airbox 7mm,BMR STB & Boxed LCAs,KYB AGX Shocks,Drilled/Slotted Rotors,180* Thermo,2.5\" Catco Cat,Dynomax 2.75\" custom catback,Kumho Ecstas/245,Jet Stage 2,3.42,Edge Racing 2870 Stall,B&M Tranny Cooler,B&M Deep Tranny Pan,LSD,AAM Girdle,1LE DS,NX Wet Kit,MSD DIS-4,MSD Blaster Coil Packs,Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires,NGK TR6\'S gapped .045,ZZP UD WP Pulley,SLP Fan Switch,TT II\'s<br />N/A: 15.6342 @ 88.44 (On stock converter. Strugglin\' to beat it.)<br />Nitrous 50 Shot: 14.7463 @ 93.49

Comment

I recommend doing only my airbox raising kit, FRA and the Ram Air things sold by companies for hundreds of dollars are worthless. Please don't waste your time or money.
                  2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
                  Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

are you guys saying its not bad for your car, if you cut out the bottom of the air box. or what if you cut the top and the bottom, by that i mean a mid size square out of both the top and the bottom.

Comment

you should do both, i don't know why dominic is so down on the ram air thing, but i have noticed significant gains.

at low speeds, you want as little restriction as possible, so your engine can suck up air easier... at higher speeds you can push extra air into the air box with ram air, and I noticed even more gain when i put a thin metal plate over the top of the a/c condenser, thereby taking even more air from the stock air dam and RAMMING it up into my air box.

Technically though, i would say that the guy who said you can't force air into your TB could be construed as right... but ram air makes it MUCH easier for your car to suck in the desired amount of air.

Remember to disconnect your negative battery cable to reset the PCM to get the full result and I guarantee that you'll be happy with it

.... the plate on the a/c condenser can easily be removed btw if you don't feel you need full ram for daily driving or the heat gets to you sitting in traffic... in my scenario though sitting in traffic isn't a problem so i leave it on all the time.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X