highest flowing "quiet" muffler???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• highest flowing "quiet" muffler???

anyone know of any "quiet" mufflers that still allow decent flow? i want quiet inside and maybe a little mellow rumble outside, but quieter than the flow 80 or the dynomax.
    are there some oem replacements that flow better than stock?
    ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Magnaflow is all I can think of...
    Kyle M<br />--------------<br /><a href=\"http://grdws6.netfirms.com\" target=\"_blank\">2002 Trans Am WS6</a> (silver, A4) - lid, cutout, stage 3 shift kit, 12 bolt, vig 3200, tranny cooler, bmr sfc/stb, torq thrust ii. <b>12.688 @ 106.47mph -=- 1.756 60\'</b>

Comment

I heard Magna Flow is ricey. Isn't B&B kind of mellow, but they show about the most gains. If I remember correctly, someone said it was a gain of like around 14 HP at the flywheel. I have the Borla rear section, not the adjustable, and it's just how you described. I have headers and 3 inches all the way back. It's probably something you'd be happy with. I had a Flowmaster before the Borla, the Flow was wayyyy louder. It wasn't a good loud though, it was just loud and kind of deep, not like a honda but not mean like an LS1. Anyway, with the Borla I felt a little HP come back, so you might want to think about the Borla. It's also a bit cheaper then the B&B.
      1 of a kind<p>Red 97 Camaro<p>Modifications: <br />SLP CAI, RK Sport Headers, Car Sound High Flow Cat, 3\" piping<br />3\" Steel driveshaft, SFC\'s, Panhard Rod, MAC Torque Arm<br />Manual Fan Switch<p>Best E/T:<p>60\' 2.152<br />330 6.271<br />1/8th 9.704<br />MPH 71.93

Comment

my good pal kyle has B&B's on his 5.0 'stang,it is not very loud but it dose have a good rumble to it
        Wolf<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/249111/7\" target=\"_blank\">95 black t-top camaro</a>,3.4 5 speed,ud pullies,plugs/wires,de-shaft tb & gutted airbox, homemaid short throw shifter

Comment

:rolleyes: Flowmaster makes more than one muffler... Check out their website, it has the sound level "rankings" for all of them, both inside and outside.

50 Series is supposed to be quieter, so is 70 and 30 Series.
          -James<br /><br />\'96 3.8L A4 Camaro (SOLD)

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by RacerJ:
            :rolleyes: Flowmaster makes more than one muffler... Check out their website, it has the sound level "rankings" for all of them, both inside and outside.

50 Series is supposed to be quieter, so is 70 and 30 Series.
            <hr></blockquote>

yeah i have heard those too. still not quite what i want. i'm one of those dorks that thinks a v6 is not supposed to sound like anything. it just walks off and leaves that big loud thing beside it.
            ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

I havent really ever heard anything quieter than my dynomax. Everything else, including magnaflow os louder..., so i dunno
              2002 Red M6 T/A<p>Heads, cam, blah blah...<br />427 rwhp and 401 rwtq - For now

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by strange_trp:
                i'm one of those dorks that thinks a v6 is not supposed to sound like anything. it just walks off and leaves that big loud thing beside it.<hr></blockquote>
                not me...i like em load
                when we first moved into our current house,dad opened the cut-out on his t-type our nieghbor(a relly cool guy) came out to see what was makin such a rucus,he almost had a f-ing cow when he seen a turbo six-banger makin the thunder
                :D
                Wolf<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/249111/7\" target=\"_blank\">95 black t-top camaro</a>,3.4 5 speed,ud pullies,plugs/wires,de-shaft tb & gutted airbox, homemaid short throw shifter

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by strange_trp:

yeah i have heard those too. still not quite what i want. i'm one of those dorks that thinks a v6 is not supposed to sound like anything. it just walks off and leaves that big loud thing beside it.
                  <hr></blockquote>

How about a Flowpro muffler? Much less aggressive than the flowmaster, but still louder & less restrictive than stock. It was the first muffler i had, & i bought it for the reasons you describe above strange. But then the modd bug struck, & i wanted a louder exhaust, so i give it to one of my v6 peps. Check w/ some local muffler people, i'm sure they've heard of it, if not carry themselves. I think you would be happy w/ it.
                  <a href=\"http://groups.msn.com/WhoisNightRider/bluethunder.msnw\" target=\"_blank\">2002 Electron Blue Corvette Coupe</a><br /><i>13.083@108.23</i><br /><br /><a href=\"http://groups.msn.com/WhoisNightRider/redfire.msnw\" target=\"_blank\">2002 Metallic Red Grandprix GTP</a> <b>SOLD</b><br /><i>14.49@94.42 (Bone stock)</i><br /><br />2002 Black Convertible Camaro Z28<br /><i>times comming real soon!</i>

Comment

thanks for the help guys.

Comment

I would recommend the Dynomax Super Turbo muffler. We just put it on my fiance's 305, and much to our surprise it wasn't very loud at all. It sounds really good, but not much louder. It definitely flows better though...with that and a dynomax cat she chirps in second with ease.
                      1997 silver Camaro RS<br />|T-Type Powered|<br /><a href=\"http://www.kwfbody.com\" target=\"_blank\">Looking for a local F-Body club in K/W, Ontario, Canada?</a>

Comment

hey strange, try a spintech. go to their website www.spintech.com or something like that. their motto is "quiet the noise and keep the thunder" or whatever. basicly means it cancels out the harsh resonances and has a good clean sound. i went from a edelbrock which is good but it is loud and harsh at high rpm's. the spintech actually swirls the exhaust to make a natural venturi effect. the sound on my car( full exhaust)is deep as hell at idle and when cruising the car has a wicked burbling, rumble. you can barely tell it's a six. at high rpm's it doesn't scream like a edelbrock, more like a deep hum. the quality is outstanding and it is not cheap @$130, but you'll never have to buy another muffler again. i have heard all of the systems except gmmg on our cars and it is definently the best muffler out there,imo.
                        96 wht. firebird 5sd. rk sport headers,3in.catco, spintech catback,CAI,FRA,3.42/lsd 180*t-stat, centerforce dual friction clutch, ls1 driveshaft, polyurethane trans. mount.<br />01 blk. z28 m6, borla exht, lid, k<br />+n, sfc., chrome 18in. y2k c5 wheels.

Comment

also, i want to add, when cruising along at low rpm's and low load and you barely got your foot on it, it makes almost no noise at all. no droning. droning's bad mmmmmkay! ;)
                          96 wht. firebird 5sd. rk sport headers,3in.catco, spintech catback,CAI,FRA,3.42/lsd 180*t-stat, centerforce dual friction clutch, ls1 driveshaft, polyurethane trans. mount.<br />01 blk. z28 m6, borla exht, lid, k<br />+n, sfc., chrome 18in. y2k c5 wheels.

Comment

Dynomax Super Turbo, not all that loud at idle but when at WOT, it sounds really intimidating and VERY CLEAN all throughout.
                            Max Shapiro<br />97 Camaro RS<br />-Bright Green Metallic<br />-Tan Leather, T-Tops<br />-3.08\'s, open diff., Automatic 4<br />-Home-Made Cold Air Assembly, Tanza filter<br />-DynoMax Super Turbo Rear Section (2.5\'\')<br />-Hooker (21433) 2.5\'\'in/Dual 3\'\'out Chrome Slash Cut Tips<br />-PolyUrethane Bushings & Endlinks for Front+Rear Sway Bars<br />-Mobil-1 Synthetic 10W-30, 5W-30<br />-Premium Sound System(6 spkrs)<br />-Monsoon 500w CD Head Unit<br />-Firehawks SS20 235.55.R16<p>Awaiting in my garage:<br />3.73s,Zexel Torsen take-off LSD,LS1 Rear Brakes,SLP CAI,3\'\' exhaust piping and 14 SECOND TIME SLIPS!!!

Comment

My spintech droned, that's why i changed.

GMMG isn't too bad, but not worth the 800 for it new. Triflow is nice and quiet, probably should have kept that but i wanted it louder.

Get a triflow muffler if you can find one, it's nice and quiet.

I've had them all, take my advice. :D

Scott

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X